Options

Comments

• k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 January 2017 at 2:22PM
    Options
    Wizzbang wrote: »
    The fundamental point here surely is that VW have committed fraud in any country where these vehicles were sold and that is punishable in any jurisdiction.

Have they committed fraud in UK ? Are they being prosecuted for it ?

Jealousy really does show itself in many forms. It would be nice if the actual owners of affected VW's, SEAT's and Skoda's could be left alone to have an intelligent discussion without these children butting in.

No jealousy here - just common sense and sick of the dumbing down of mankind to follow the US compensation culture.

So far none of the early horror stories of the 'fraud' have been found to be true in the UK yet everyone is 'owed' something for the emotional hardship, potential that something could possibly go wrong, and of course all the little children/fluffy bunnies

So I refer back to the original point - not a single person in the UK bought their car on the basis of the (allegedly manipulated) NOx figures
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Your missing the point, the customers don't get a choice as to when they can get their cars in for a fix, they have to wait their turn!

It was not just a case of waiting their turn.

VW had to find a way to fix things. They had to work out what to do and then produce a piece of software to instal in the cars.

Some engines also need an additional fix.

They could have adjusted the engines to use add blue but that would have cost them more so they are taking the cheaper way out.

As a result those who have had the fix are now having problems with EGR valves failing as they are sooting up due to now slower running. This is costing up £1300 to replace- and will it just happen again?
  • welfayre
    welfayre Posts: 182 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know how else you suggest they are punished? You can't throw a company in jail or smack their bottom. You have to hit a big corporation where it hurts and that's in Director's bonuses, both now and in the future. They should have thought about the potential consequences of their joint actions beforehand and the way of the world, is that they have to take what's coming to them.

I contacted my dealer many times and there was no fix available apparently. I bet that was another lie because they couldn't cope with the sheer volume of cars they needed to get in, alongside normal servicing etc.

As always, some really nasty people on this forum. I bought my car new, only because the scrappage scheme was invented by the UK government. They apparently wanted my old, polluting Rover off the road and getting £2000 for a car that was only worth scrap value was one of the most sensible 'money-saving' decisions I've ever made! 3 years warranty on top and that's some years of trouble-free motoring. These haters can stand here and lambast owners as much as they want, but they can't pretend they wouldn't have made similar decisions had they been able to.

Ironically it seems that my old petrol Rover was probably a more environmentally friendly choice. Once again, the haters can't understand how some people would want to make a decision based on the environmental side of car ownership because they don't share the same values. True as it may be, a car is not the greenest transport option. However since Beeching got rid of the option of a train for the majority of the UK and buses are being cut constantly, they hardly have an argument. Just because someone owns a car, that doesn't say how much they use it - they could cycle half the week or more. But these know-it-alls can't see past their next snide comment.

The fundamental point here surely is that VW have committed fraud in any country where these vehicles were sold and that is punishable in any jurisdiction. Jealousy really does show itself in many forms. It would be nice if the actual owners of affected VW's, SEAT's and Skoda's could be left alone to have an intelligent discussion without these children butting in.

I'm in the final year of an environmental based degree that I went back to uni to study, so would say I hold my environmental values as dearly as you, if not more so.

Just grinds my gears all these people who've suddenly bought their cars for "environmental" reasons now that there's the possibility of a quick quid.
  • New_World_Man
    Options
    Is the 30% the total fee or does VAT get added? Their sales patter is vague about this.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,632 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They apparently wanted my old, polluting Rover off the road and getting £2000 for a car that was only worth scrap value was one of the most sensible 'money-saving' decisions I've ever made! 3 years warranty on top and that's some years of trouble-free motoring. These haters can stand here and lambast owners as much as they want, but they can't pretend they wouldn't have made similar decisions had they been able to.

That's crazy if you're really believing that buying a new car is a money saving idea. Depreciation might be invisible but it makes the overall cost a lot more than running an old motor
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • baz8790
    baz8790 Posts: 111 Forumite
    Options
    I chose my diesel golf because of the MPG, reliability and resale values my previous golfs gave me,

I'm not keen to get the fix done due to the reports of loss of power, MPG and EGR valve failures.

I have emailed,and tried to contact VW through social media to find out who carried out the independent testing that shown the fix had no impact on power or fuel consumption and where I can see a copy of the report and have been ignored, I know they read the message on Facebook messenger.

I won't have the fix done until I see proof that that power or economy won't suffer and I won't be stuck with an expensive EGR replacement bill.

My car has lost value because of this scandal, I'm not interested in the class action because of NOX but I would be happy if VW bought the car back at the value it was the week before the emissions scandal hit the press.
  • Nautilus432
    Nautilus432 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 January 2017 at 11:55PM
    Options
    I see a separate post 71899359 from MSE Callum has started on this subject.
  • Goyley
    Options
    I think I'm going to pursue my own claim against VW. Like the PPI scandal, millions have been ripped off by claims management companies but customers would have still been upheld by the banks had they gone direct. If the legal claim against VW succeeds, which I think it probably will, then write your own letter citing the same reasons as the same solicitors for your claim, which are readily available online. I don't think VW will have a leg to stand on rejecting a valid claim. I've had 3 holding letters and no nearer to any date for repairs. Too right I'm going to claim compensation!
  • TickersPlaysPop
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    There is a facebook group giving details of many people who have had the 'fix' and now having big , and costly , problems with their car.

We bought our car specifically to be able to tow our trailer. Loss of power after the fix may mean the car is no longer fit for the purpose.

Hi
    Please can you post the name of the Facebook group. I've searched for all the obvious key words and I can't find it.
    Many thanks
    Peace.
  • MrBentOvertheBarrel
    Options
    I do... My vehicle during trade in just before this new broke was £8500

I looked at another vehicle from the same dealer 3 months ago (1 year after the above) and now they offered me £5600.

Car's affect HAVE had impact on the value of the vehicle

Seems that this chat is all about making those affected feel bad about this. I was pointed in this direction due to other chats going on in other forums. The fact is people have been impacted financially and following the ECU "FIX" will continue to be impacted financially.

I don't think those people shooting people like me down because they're taking a stand against what should have been a reputable brand and reliable vehicle, should voice their bullish views. Fact is people are losing money because a huge car maker has tried to defraud the system. If this happened in the banks and you lost money in some way you would soon be shouting.

Some of the responses on here are appalling and narrow minded.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure