We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Frump to Fab 2017 - A Whole New World

Options

Comments

• chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,319 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hello Ladies

I forgot to say I did Race for Life 2017 in 1 hour 1 minute and 39 seconds :j

Thanks to all of you who donated to my Cancer Research fundraising page. You are all brilliant :T

Well done.
  • ScarlettMcCain
    Options
    Hi everyone - I've been on holiday and generally just tired out in the evenings (well, all the time really!) so apologies for not posting for a while. I have been reading though :)

LL, glad you enjoyed your hols, and I thought it was very perceptive what you said about the very overweight people eating a lot without even noticing! OH (who is 21 stone) does it too, he'll eat a reasonable breakfast and then shovel in a whole pizza later. He doesn't even seem to enjoy it, he just seems to expect/ require that amount of food. Good luck with the house hunting too, I hope you find a lovely new home soon!

A massive well done to you, Sugarbaby :T brilliant job doing the Race for Life. Such a shame about your narrow-minded GP, there is no excuse for not investigating a patient's pain, regardless of weight or anything else.

Oh gosh maman, I agree about M&S! I used to be able to buy some decent basics there and a few nicer pieces, but recently it's gone really downhill, if I don't want beige slacks (and I don't!) then there isn't much to offer….. even their bra fitting is terrible in our local store.

Ooooh indie, exciting news about your dates!! It sounds like you've been having a great time, long may it last! Enjoy your hols too :D and your weight loss journey has been inspirational, I do hope it's all going well too.

I took part in a 'clean eating' week with my local aerobics group, it was tough (involved a HIIT workout every day at 6.30am!) but useful. I've lost 4.5lb in 3 weeks, not spectacular but good, especially considering I haven't been able to stick to it properly since. I'd really like to find the time for more exercise, but the boys are long past the point where I could put them in their jumperoos and do a half hour DVD! Poor little things were far too hot during the heatwave, they were having two baths a day just to cool them down.

Sadly things aren't great between OH & I, he had a big rant about me being ungrateful and not appreciating the fact that he pays for everything and I don't have to work; he didn't want to hear my point of view so I didn't offer it, and we haven't really spoken much since. I feel like more of an employee than a partner, we're not a team as every time he doesn't want to do something he says "but I pay for things"….. I am so flipping tired all the time, I do all the early morning get ups, all the housework at night (if I don't do enough then I'm being lazy, apparently) and all the get ups in the night too, but he still won't get up at the weekends and let me stay in bed for an hour or two. He's back to moaning about me seeing friends and spending money (not that I have, but just the idea is enough to make him complain!) so I've had to tell people I can't go anywhere if I can't take the boys and/ or spend money :(
    Finally debt free!! March 2018 :j
  • savingfortomorrow
    Options
    rubyslippers i am really saddened to hear your other half is not being in any form supportive or it seems considerate. Was he always as mean or self centered? I hope he moves past this current phase and appreciate that he needs to be more understanding.
    I grew up with a self centered father, it is never nice to be the last consideration. Your boys are so lucky to have a mom who puts them first and for most. It is very difficult for you and please accept our virtual hugs.
    If you let friends know they can help meet you places where it is free or do inexpensive things. Please don't let yourself become isolated for fear of spending. Email, whatsapp, cups of tea or walks in the park are free and it is really important that you actively maintain ... if not strengthen links to family and friends. It might be a bit difficult to speak about his tightness with money but it is vital that family and friends know so you can have more support.
  • Ellsbel
    Ellsbel Posts: 469 Forumite
    edited 31 May 2017 at 7:13AM
    Options
    A big well done from me, too, sugarbaby.:)
    Maman I really like those trousers:)
    Ruby, well done on the weight loss:) I'm sorry things are not good with OH. Forgive me for saying so, but I don't think you need or deserve to be treated like this. I hope you can find some time to talk things through and get him to understand that he needs to share the practical care of the children; him paying for everything doesn't exonerate him from having any hands on responsibility whatsoever!! I'm probably completely wrong but his behaviour comes across as being very controlling and unhealthy for a relationship. I really hope you can get things sorted out.
    I've been unexpectedly asked to work a few hours today which I'm not too happy about but, hey ho; I think a colleague has clicked on to the fact that I'll do anyone a favour if I can and has taken that to be a sign of weakness, but I'm afraid they've burnt their bridges a bit, as I'll be saying "no" in future:rotfl:
    When I get back I'll need to do a bit of housework but must also book a hair appointment and fit in a brisk walk. Sunny here at the moment but looking like we might have some showers at some point.
    I bought some lovely new sandals last week and it was nice to be able to wear them at the weekend - complete with bright red toenails:D
  • sukeyboo
    sukeyboo Posts: 2,089 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well done sugarbaby on your time on the Race for Life :T. Sorry to hear about your experience with that rude doctor though :mad:

Also sorry to hear of your troubles with OH Ruby - I can empathise with you on certain aspects as even though I am the main bread-winner in the household (OH is self-employed and his income is not great :() he will only go to places that are cheap (or free) when we do go out (which isn't very often). I offer to pay just so that we can do some nice things together but he refuses. You are doing a very important 'job' in raising your two boys and it sounds from what you have said before that he doesn't contribute very much in that respect. Apologies if I am speaking out of turn :o

Treated to myself to a new pair of sparkly 'bling' flip-flops as my old ones are looking past their best - just need the weather to go with them now :cool:

Spa day booked in the New Forest for next Thursday which I am really looking forward to - I have booked a 'Revitalizing Back Treatment' which includes a massage and a manicure/pedicure.

Definitely agree about M & S Maman - nothing inspiring in there at all - they really need to pull their socks up as far as their clothing is concerned.

Glad you had a lovely holiday LL - your observations are spot-on - I think that a lot when I am out & about :eek:
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,319 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi fabbers,

I hope you all are enjoying the nice weather.

We have our summer holiday in August so I've been bargain hunting. So far:
    Flip flops - £5 from TK Maxx (rrp £10)
    Sunglasses - my eyes are sensitive to the sun, so I thought I'd try polarised lenses - £50 from Costco (rrp £80)
    Kaftan - £7.50 from Sainsburys (with 25% off)
    Peshtamal towel - £8 from eBay (folds up small, so great for holidays)

I want to buy some cotton dresses, but I haven't seen any I like yet (although, to be fair, I haven't had much time to look).
  • savingfortomorrow
    Options
    I hope everyone is feeling good and trying to be as fabulous as possible. Today was a disaster for fabbing as have been on the road all day and dressed for comfort and speed not style.
    I need a new pair of shoes as my everyday work shoes are wreaked. I got through shoes so fast it is a joke, 4 months and they are in bits. I am going to be practical and look in marks and spencer as their shoes always lasted longer for me. My physio despairs of my poor posture and gait, I think I will have to invest some time and money looking after this, to save buying more shoes.

On the work situation, there is a lot of potential opportunities. I have to weight up options. I have more options but more awareness of every potential downside. I work with different teams as a consultant, fly in solve issues and go. It is amazing to see so much and give so much help. But it is demoralizing for someone to assume that they can belittle me, it does not happen a lot but it is painful when it does. I know it is their issue but it is not fun.
  • Ellsbel
    Options
    Hello fabbers:)
    It's lovely to be off today; nice, bright and sunny out and I was up early so I've had a nice walk, a visit from my parents, I've watered the garden (lots of new bulbs planted at the weekend), done a couple of wash loads and filled the fridge and cupboards with lots of healthy food:)
    Will do a quick dash round with the hoover in a bit and then I might grab half an hour in the garden with a book:)
    I've been very un-mse and ordered myself a Fitbit :o. I find it very motivating to see my daily steps mounting up and currently I use my phone to track them but I don't have it with me always (when I'm carrying washing up and down stairs for instance) I'm justifying the purchase by telling myself that it will help keep me healthy!
    I've booked in a haircut with a new (to me) hairdressers on Monday as I feel I need to ring the changes a bit; will speak to them about highlights when I'm in there.
    Have a good afternoon everyone.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good Morning Lovely Ladies.

Well here we are June already...... where does the time go.

And what lovely weather. I'm definitely making the most of it. Washing everything in sight, eating so fresco whenever possible. Some evenings I gave been sat in the garden till 10 pm. I just love these warm summer evenings. Very Mediterranean.....

Have been doing lots of house and garden fabbing. .

DAY 3 of the great kitchen cupboard declutter, should be finished today. What a difference it is making. I'm loving the streamlined look, no more cluttered worktops and bulging cupboards from now on.

i have also been busy in the garden, weeding and replanting.

I have turned what was a grotty algae paved covered "corridor" area by the kitchen door into a nice little patio, dressed with a bright orange bistro table and chairs and edged with a row of trees, shrubs and shade loving plants in pots.

The area never sees the sun, hence the algae, and the table and chairs will only be used when the sun is too hot for comfort in the main garden ......probably a few days a year. :rotfl: however it looks pretty and brightens up what was a really dingy and depressing unused and unloved space.

All this fresh air makes me feel good, with a nice gentle tan and the sun bleaching my hair to platinum white. My hairdresser tells me people pay a lot of money to get this colour. I get mine for free.......:rotfl:

Viewed two houses, both dire. The search continues.....

Hope you are well and happy and keeping up the Fabbing.

And, don't forget......... Painting those toenails to add glamour for those sandal ready pretty feet. ;)
  • Ellsbel
    Options
    Will definitely be redoing my toenails today, LL:D
    Not quite sure what the weather will decide to do today; there seem to be a fair few dark clouds hovering around but the sun is trying to fight its way through.
    I've been up for quite a while but in no rush to get dressed this morning. I'm going to shower and moisturise in a bit, then find something smart casual to wear as we're going to drive out and have brunch somewhere, followed by a nice long walk - comfy footwear will be worn!
    I'm developing a nice, light tan thanks to the gradual tan moisturisers
    I've been using, so I've been getting away with very minimal make up recently - saves on the foundation:)
    Have a good weekend everyone:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family