No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries January 2017

Options

Comments

• asset2004
    asset2004 Posts: 2,453 Forumite
    edited 6 January 2017 at 12:26AM
    Options
    Hello and Happy New Year :T
    I have been MIA for almost a month and have just caught up with this thread and the December thread.
    I declare that am NOT BUYING ANYTHING toiletry related for 2017 :o I spent a long time before Christmas searching for something else and unearthed numerous bags for life and plastic boxes full of shower gel/shampoo/conditioner and lots and lots and lots of Body Shop gifts. :eek::eek:
    OMG I realised just how much stuff I have bought and although I knew I had lots I didn't appreciate just how much :( I am surprised the upstairs floor hasn't collapsed with the weight :o

I have 2 lots of INs to declare as Christmas gifts - Eternity perfume from OH's parents. Very nice but I have lots of perfume already opened and alos lots unopened too :o so I think I will try to sell it. Still sealed, I refused to open it as I had a plan! ;)
    The other in is from OH's relatives a set of Radox shower gel - :eek: OMG really! :( Hardly a luxury gift and TBH I'd much rather receive nothing than receive something like that. I'm not being ungrateful but I think there is so much pressure on people to give presents. Since when has a box of mediocre shower gel been suitable???
    I keep telling OH that we shouldn't go down the present route but he says his family like it. My family don't do gifts (does that make us odd??) but if there's anything we need we would just buy it.
    My house is drowning under unwanted gifts from people and I just wish people were a bit more thoughtful.
    I think we should suggest tactfully that next year we'll make a donation to charity instead of gifts, but I think that could go down like a lead balloon. :p
    Life is a coin, you can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once.
    Go as far as you can see, and when you get there you'll see further.
    Take time but don't waste time
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    assett - I think a gift should ideally be something you would really love to have but can't justify buying for yourself. I got a Bayliss & Harding gift set from my in laws for Christmas and it went straight to the CS. Every raffle and tombola I see has multiple B&H gift sets, the products are utter rubbish and I can't understand why nice stores sell it.

No uu's but I have repainted my nails with Maybelline Berry Stain.

Deleted_User - I love Ojon Revitalising Mist but it is pricey so I have refilled the bottle with 1 part conditioner and 2 parts water as a leave in conditioner and it is working well.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • WJN222
    WJN222 Posts: 202 Forumite
    Options
    No UU today but do have a TA - Avon big mascara in black - does absolutely nothing for me and I have other mascaras on the go so trying to be strong!

thanks for all the welcomes.
    walk 2018 miles in 2018 - 781 of 2018
    Save £5 for every PR: 10 of 35
  • VALM
    VALM Posts: 5,846 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As anticipated I have UUed:-

7. Elemis Superfood Facial Oil This was lovely. Only had a sample vial but it lasted me about 5 days I think. Maybe will repurchase. Have a Nuxe one in stash to use next. I think I prefer oil to serum.

8. Elemis PCMC (30ml) pot HG product. No more to say. More in stash.

Updated PP list

Elemis Balancing Lime Blossom Cleanser
    Murad Clarifying Toner
    Garnier Sensitive eye make up remover.
    L'Occitane Verbena liquid soap (bathroom).
    [STRIKE]Elemis Pro Collagen Marine Cream[/STRIKE]
    Boots nail polish remover
    Lush Cup o Coffee
    Soap and Glory Scrub Your Nose In It
    Ole Hendrickson sugar glow mask.
    Lush Snowflake soap
    Yorkshire soap company peppermint cream shower gel
    Yorkshire soap peppermint cream body lotion
    Hawaiian tropic body butter
    Diamond resort body lotion (small tube).
    Eye cream
    [STRIKE]Elemis superfood oil[/STRIKE]

I think the next item to go will be the Murad toner. I've been excluding the usage of this at night so that I can try and eek it out but am going to run out sooner than I think. I see that John Lewis sell this so may use my voucher to get a new one.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • sstevo19
    sstevo19 Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My mum gave me 3 body sprays yesterday, I'm not complaining though, they are nice smelling.

So three INs to declare:
    Avon Naturals Pomegranate & Mango Spritz
    Avon Naturals Cinnamon & Cranberry Spritz
    Avon Naturals Sugar Plum Spritz
  • balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Options
    sstevo19 wrote: »
    My mum gave me 3 body sprays yesterday, I'm not complaining though, they are nice smelling.

So three INs to declare:
    Avon Naturals Pomegranate & Mango Spritz
    Avon Naturals Cinnamon & Cranberry Spritz
    Avon Naturals Sugar Plum Spritz

I use those as room sprays - love them!
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone! We were away at Christmas so I didn't manage to list all my toiletry stuff, but I know it would be in the hundreds and there are many locations throughout the house where they are stored. I have stuff going back years but still keep on buying, but I am taking myself in check and will try and resist for the rest of the year. The only things I am likely to run out of are toothpaste and mouthwash.

3 UU to report, although only the 35ml size from hotels/ships etc.
    1-3 Dead sea body lotion, shampoo and conditioner

Baby steps. I am very much more aware just how much stuff I have now and it's a bit worrying but hopefully the discipline of doing this will make a big difference.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • seekingthesunlight
    seekingthesunlight Posts: 27 Forumite
    edited 6 January 2017 at 3:09PM
    Options
    My first UU of the year! :j

1. Original Source Lime shower gel (250ml) - WMBA, inexpensive and had a nice smell. Need to use up a lot more shower gels I already have before I'll buy it again though!

I had a moment of madness and ordered a limited edition set of hand cream. God knows why - I hardly ever use the stuff! So here's my INs:

1,2,3. Kiehl's Richly Hydrating Hand Cream (30ml) x3 - Cool Coriander, Luxurious Lavender and Revitalising Grapefruit
    4. Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate (Sample)
    5. Kiehl's Creme de Corps (Sample)
    6. Kiehl's Calendula Herbal Alcohol-free Toner (Sample)

Might try earning £1 in credit for every item UU, so I don't keep spending on stuff I really don't need! So I'm going to earn back the money I spent on the hand cream first before being able to buy anything else :beer:

Sealed Pot Challenge No. 179!
  • asset2004
    asset2004 Posts: 2,453 Forumite
    Options
    dolly84 wrote: »
    assett - I think a gift should ideally be something you would really love to have but can't justify buying for yourself. I got a Bayliss & Harding gift set from my in laws for Christmas and it went straight to the CS. Every raffle and tombola I see has multiple B&H gift sets, the products are utter rubbish and I can't understand why nice stores sell it.

I agree re your comments about a gift but honesty how often does that happen :o
    We live in a society where it's more important to be seen to give something. I would rather receive nothing than be given useless tat which forces you to return the present swap just for the sake of it. :mad:
    Life is a coin, you can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once.
    Go as far as you can see, and when you get there you'll see further.
    Take time but don't waste time
  • catherinekate
    Options
    Might try earning £1 in credit for every item UU, so I don't keep spending on stuff I really don't need! So I'm going to earn back the money I spent on the hand cream first before being able to buy anything else :beer:

This is what I do - I always intend to save up lots before buying but I find knowing I have the cash waiting burns a hole in my pocket so I'm usually in arrears!

UU, L'occitane cherry blossom shower gel from advent calendar. This was lovely, the tiny bottle lasted about 3 weeks. I was a bit disappointed to find so much shower gel in my advent calendar although I'm not sure what I really expected from a skincare brand!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure