Windows 10.

Options
After being in receipt of a new Windows 10 Lenovo laptop for a few days now, I have to say I'm not massively impressed with 10.
I find it very intrusive, and - oh! - the updates.
I know it's had a lot of stick, but I must say I always found Vista perfect for my, albeit simple, needs.

Comments

• I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    edited 1 January 2017 at 5:06PM
    Options
    I remember when everywhere around here was just fields.
  • whattochoose
    Options
    Also, I remember when everywhere around here was just fields.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3E9I2KCyv4
  • iamlucky18
    Options
    I didn't like Windows 10 in the beginning either. But stick with it and eventually you will get used to it.

Support for Windows 7 will soon be coming to a close - I'm not sure about Windows 8. But stick with it.
  • whattochoose
    Options
    iamlucky18 wrote: »
    I didn't like Windows 10 in the beginning either. But stick with it and eventually you will get used to it.

Support for Windows 7 will soon be coming to a close - I'm not sure about Windows 8. But stick with it.
    I'm sure I will.
    Thank you and Happy New Year.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I know it's had a lot of stick, but I must say I always found Vista perfect for my, albeit simple, needs.

BURN.... THE.... WITCH....! :mad:
  • iamlucky18
    Options
    pogofish wrote: »

Lol :rotfl:
  • whattochoose
    Options
    pogofish wrote: »

15285.jpg

Happy New Year!
  • fenlander_uk
    Options
    iamlucky18 wrote: »

I used to feel the same way about arthritis - but it's still a pain in the neck...
  • iamlucky18
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your medical issue, but it's completely unrelated to the OPs question, thank you very much. You're not the only one with medical issues...

Anyway - I can assure you Windows 10 is an ok OS. Not better than 7 by any means, you just need to get used to the new gui etc. Plus if you're a gamer, there are pros to using Windows 10 rather than 7/8.

Happy new year. Best wishes......
  • Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 January 2017 at 5:52AM
    Options
    After being in receipt of a new Windows 10 Lenovo laptop for a few days now, I have to say I'm not massively impressed with 10.
    I find it very intrusive, and - oh! - the updates.

The updates will slow down after a while, you're probably facing "new install hell" with them, by which I mean for the first week or so after buying a PC or installing it (even with the latest install media) it'll tend to be downloading update after update to get current.
    Windows 10 seems to be reasonably good at dealing with this, far better than Windows 7, let alone Vista or XP.

I always used to hang on to any machine I reinstalled/built for a day or so and run it on the desk next to my machine for this reason, I'd check it every time I got a drink/got up and if needed reboot to finish the update process.
    Typically it took at least an evening of just updating to get them to the point where they weren't still downloading stuff, and this was on 50-100mb connections, if the internet connection is slow or you're doing other stuff with the system it'll take a lot longer to complete the updates.

I think the record for longest time to complete the updates was on a friends old laptop which took about 4 days of just sitting with the occasional reboot to get all the updates :) It was due to a combination of an old/slow machine and something like 2-3 years of updates.

I'd recommend leaving the machine running for an hour or so after you've finished using it to let it download updates in peace for the first few days :) (or manually tell it to update repeatedly - I think it doesn't do them in the background anything like as fast whilst it's actively being used)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure