From debt to freedom...

Options

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,635 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Lovely pics of the cliffs and sea.  I love the South West Coast Path and walk part of it most weeks.  I much prefer it to the moors and the sound of the waves and the gulls is just exhilarating. Like you I feel very lucky to live where I do. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good luck with the food planning and budgeting. Not easy although you do sound like you make a lot of tasty food.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £183,754 Equity 26.5%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.65K
    3) CC £5.1K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.5K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you Spendless, ES and SH.

More seedlings have come through which is great! The tomatoes have started to emerge as have the snapdragons.  I got some Sweet peas “Painted lady” sown yesterday. They are a pink and white flower with long stems so very good as cut flowers.

Yesterday,  we managed a walk between the showers of rain. We walked a circular walk on an almost daily basis during lockdown so it became known as the lockdown loop. It is close to home, up in the fields above the village but gives incredible views out to the moors. The sense of space ( and freedom) helped a lot in lockdown days and was a wonderful sight yesterday. The ground was saturated which shows how much rain we have had in recent days.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,160 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's funny you should say that because yesterday my DD rang and was yearning for the same outside sense of space she'd had nearby during lockdown when she'd go on walks compared to what she had/had found close to where she lives now as a student.

Whilst we're nowhere near as rural as you, we can find  grassed parks, a canal, a playfield and 2 woods without leaving our village. It surprised me she was longing for it, usually  her home-sickness is about wanting home cooked meals and wishing to see family and the dog.

Are you planting other veg as well this year? 
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Thank you Spendless … canals are lovely to walk by but don’t have any nearby! I have sown tomatoes, beetroot and lettuce so far and hope to sow cucumber, peas, beans, butternut squash and courgettes.

The weather is looking inclement today so will be cracking on with work stuff for Job 1.

• savingholmes
    Options
    Good your seedlings are coming up. I've found mine yesterday and some propagators so hopefully can make myself sow some soon.I have more room / no-one to complain about it this year - so hopefully can get some going on the kitchen and lounge window sills - and possibly even an upstairs bedroom if needed.
    3) CC £5.1K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.5K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Thank you SH…hope your seed sowing is successful. 

Glad to have got through the last week. Someone was ill at Job 2 so ended up doing an extra few hours on Sunday night which threw my week completely. I realise how much I need the time on Sunday night to prep for the week ahead. I worked on Tuesday night but it was a really late shift which hit me later in the week, so am very glad to have made it to the weekend!!

Payday for Job 1 was on Thursday so the next mortgage payment went out yesterday. It’s gratifying to see the balance coming down and understanding how much I have  paid off so far.

I did spend about £30 at the garden centre on Thursday most of which were gifts but did treat myself to a silver laced polyanthus. I grew these from seed a few years ago and must do it again as it’s a cost effective way of raising quite a few plants! The second sow of tomatoes are through as are the cosmos so need to spend some time this weekend potting things on.

Came home on Thursday evening to discover that DD3 had decided to have a baking session. Oreo cupcakes, lemon curd biscuits and a sort of shortbread shell sandwiches together with icing were arranged on the kitchen worktop. If nothing else, at least my children know how to bake!!
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,157 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Isn't it gratifying when your children can cook! All mine seemed to emerge from their teens with individual specialities.

Your week sounds exhausting, I hope you get some down time this weekend to make up for it.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,769 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The baking sounds lovely!  
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • savingholmes
    Options
    The baking sounds super tasty - and as you say - good evidence of your children's life skills.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure