PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weekly Flylady Thread post xmas 27 Dec

Options

Comments

• dancemum
    dancemum Posts: 2,561 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Honey Bear is it a ground floor sink as my kitchen one is slow to drain but I think it is due to the drains outside.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome everyone

honey bear
    as dancemum mentions have you checked the outside drains? I had this problem with my bath tried everything and when I looked outside discovered the drain was blocked with moss etc once I cleared it, it was fine.

Household soda is those soda crystals you get in the bags. I suggest putting lots of them around the plug then pour boiling water in the sink. This will dissolve the crystals and wash everything down the plug hole. You want a really strong solution.

Personally I would try everything you can before you remove the trap as they can be difficult to get on and off. I took mine off once and vowed never to do so again!
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have made a start in the kitchen. I have cleared and wiped the worktops. The issue I have is I can't put things away tidy as the cupboards are too full. I have decided I will clear out/de-clutter one kitchen cupboard per day so I can fill them with the things I actually use.
  • kazmeister
    kazmeister Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Welcome to iammumtoone and woody 1612.
    Get well soon *Jellie*

Wow, I can't believe it's taken so long to scrub the kitchen, but it has been done flylady style rather than DH style who proudly told me he'd done 'that bit' this morning :shocked:. I haven't done anything else apart from a bit of planning for Friday and a food shop for delivery Thursday but it was very MSE with £18 off a £60 shop. Have decluttered a large tube of fruit pastilles and several cups of tea. Just me and DH for tea tonight so am going to bake the camembert that has been stinking the house out for the last few days then I need to start on the next assignment. Oh the joys.

Have a peaceful evening all.
    Mortgage, we're getting there with the end in sight £6587 07/23, otherwise free of the debt thanks to MSE help!
  • scottish_lassy
    Options
    Hello all, I'm in this week to keep me on the straight and narrow.

Honey Bear - I had a problem in the bathroom with drains and after googling, I did a system with bicarb of soda, vinegar and warm water. Bubbled and fizzed a bit but definately did the trick (after 2 or 3 go's).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up3tVCXv4SM
    :rotfl:
  • JayneFinney
    Options
    Thank you x
  • JayneFinney
    Options
    First day, thoroughly cleaned every surface in kitchen and cleaned dining table, did have to put some junk back though :(

First day of barn conversion went relatively well, just took us a while to get going. Was nice to come into a clean kitchen though, with tea almost ready in the slow cooker, hubby was pleasantly surprised :)

Bit of me time now, then determined to clear utility worktop so I can get some ironing done. Hubby tidied up lounge Christmas day and basically threw everything in there lol.

Actually looking forward to tomorrow's list.

Have a lovely evening everyone x
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    dancemum wrote: »
    Honey Bear is it a ground floor sink as my kitchen one is slow to drain but I think it is due to the drains outside.

The plug hole is about 3' above it's outlet in the main drain, and the utility sink on the other side of the internal wall has always been slow but this, the shower room sink used to draink faster, which is what's worrying. The shower is even lower, about 12" above the main drain outlet, but that's no slower than before, so I don't think it's the main drain itself. Good suggestion though, so thank you.
    Household soda is those soda crystals you get in the bags. I suggest putting lots of them around the plug then pour boiling water in the sink. This will dissolve the crystals and wash everything down the plug hole. You want a really strong solution.

Personally I would try everything you can before you remove the trap as they can be difficult to get on and off. I took mine off once and vowed never to do so again!

Thanks for this, but I've tried about 1lb of bicarb and 5 litres of vinegar over the course of the evening yesterday, plus about 10 kettles of boiling water, which is why I asked if bicarb and Soda Crystals are the same thing.
    I have made a start in the kitchen. I have cleared and wiped the worktops. The issue I have is I can't put things away tidy as the cupboards are too full. I have decided I will clear out/de-clutter one kitchen cupboard per day so I can fill them with the things I actually use.

A cupboard a day is the only way to get through the chaos that has built up over the years, IamMumtoOne. And starting by cleaning the bits that show is a great way to change the way you feel about the room - I love walking into a superficially cleanish and tidyish room after years of chaos, and it always galvanizes me to carry on.

My office is tidy! Well, tidyish, but that's a huge improvement. I can walk across the floor without having to detour around piles of gibble. Marvellous.
    Better is good enough.
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Evening all. Thanks for the list Valli. I am in as I'm back to normal routine tomorrow with the paid stuff. Need to sort the LR in the morning.

Today, I quickly hoovered through the house before spending the day at the beach with the dogs, Poppet's first outing there.

Just eating takeaway and will then make sure I WUDUPA.

Welcome to returners and newbies.

'See' you all in the morning.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,808 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 December 2016 at 9:17PM
    Options
    A gasket is a rubber ring which provides a seal.

I have cleared my dining room of carp and put down stuff and vacuumed. I have moved stuff to where it should be, ironed a maidenful, vacuumed hall and shifted stuff. I have vacuumed LR and shifted stuff. So much so that DS's GF commented positively. I feel quite positive about this, because even though it has been bothering me I was suffering from CBA. I have made my bed. All good. It must be devastating if the person you have lost is your partner/lives in your house. At least I don't have that to learn to cope with.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family