* I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread

Options

Comments

• Gettingtherequickly
    Options
    Well, taking a few sneaky minutes as I am Billy at work at the moment!

Free - hope you had a great birthday

Vulpix - well done on wrapping, must go to Dunelm to get the Coca Cola snow globe as my mums silly gift for this year, she will love it!

Newbies - Welcome to the house of fun

GYD - Hope all going well for you.

Speky - I would buy el cheapo for this Christmas and avail of the bargains afterwards. I want to get a tree, but keep missing out :(

Clumsy - Nothing like a magical mystery tour around a hospital!

Mandco - Must nip in after work and get some of those tee shirts.

Life gone a bit hectic at moment. Think I have sorted out getting the flat, just need to go through the bureaucracy involved.

Want to sell my sofas as I have ordered new ones, they are in perfect condition but because I need more neck support, needed to invest. Then had the problem about when to sell them as I will need someplace to park my bum before the new ones arrive in middle November. Hit on genius plan, order a futon which can then go in the spare room, serve as someplace to sit, but then convert to bed if room is needed. Typical of my luck, the one I wanted was out of stock, so had to wait until this week to order it. Hopefully, the cost of it (£340) will be covered by the sale of the sofas with a bit extra which can go into the flat refurb pot!

Had the big boys out for the squatters last week, I truly hope that this will be the end of it, He found access points which I have now filled in with steel wool. Have arranged for cleaners to come in on Saturday to do a deep clean, cost not bad, they had estimated 2 1/2 hours to bathroom & kitchen for £56. It should mean that I can put my piece of modern art away finally (this is what my brother called all the cleaning stuff lined up nicely in the hall!) Think I will avail of this time to wrap as I will be fairly restricted in what I can do, w/m will be on & drier, but there is no point in doing anything else until they go. It will also give me a chance to work out where I am on what to buy, although I have bought all my cards and the Christmas money wallets.

Better do some paid work now!
    A smile costs little but creates much :)
  • kpwll
    kpwll Posts: 4,273 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Afternoon all, hope you're all having a good day.

Not so much a bargain (but imo reasonable) picked up the grandsons advent calendars today in Tescos. They were either Celebration or Heroes (have put them away and can't remember lol) at £3.00 each.
    Compared to the Cadbury and ordinary size ones at £2.00 each, I thought they were a bit different.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,107 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The wedding went reasonably well only a few hiccups with the hotel got there and they said I hadn't paid they said the booing was made June 2nd , I was having a heart attack cos I couldn't find the transaction on my banking so I downloaded all my statements since January and found it on February 23rd . It would have been nice if they had apologised but apparently that was too much effort .

The other main issue was just at the end of the meal a waiter started crooning just behind us and it was so loud it did couldn't cope and ran off in tears with her hands covering her ears . She spent the rest of the evening in her the room. But at least now it's done and dusted.

Christmas wise we took the opportunity to deliver my parents gifts and all my sides cards .
    Most of the Christmas gifts for Oh and add are bought only a gift card and her iPod nearer the time .
  • alja
    alja Posts: 838 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mandco & peppapig - thank you, I'm feeling much better than expected (had something else done in relation to it 2 months ago and was in worse pain then) still got to rest and not do anything too strenuous for the next few weeks.

elliew8 - thank you! I'd completely forgotten about the predictor they have, I will keep an eye on that :)

Finally made my superdrug order this evening, so that's a few more pressies on the way. They have a lot of better than half price deals on their own brand beauty at the moment, so that was so helpful.

I'm hoping to go shopping on Saturday morning, so I'm going to write a little list of things to buy for then. Probably bits for OH's mum's foodie hamper :)
  • murie
    murie Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Allja- glad you are on the road to recovery now.
    Jakes mum- I had to smile at the request for a left handed pencil.
    VM- Im with the team gift suggestions too.
    Speky- poundland did some very pretty large (ish) individual vintage glass baubles last year, they also had packs of 9 smaller glass ones for 'in fill' on a large tree. You could glitter them up etc.
    GYD- hope all is now on track for a pre Christmas move. Thanks for the info about the hairdryer, she still hasn't decided if she wants it or not.
    Chrissy- I would have had a heart attack too! Its a shame the day ended badly for her tho xx.
    GTQ- fingers crossed that you have seen the back of the visitors and that the flat purchase goes smoothly. DH calls his mountains of stuff modern art too- I call it something else entirely but I'm too much of a lady to say!!!
    Clumsy- DD always keeps her bra on when she has hers too.
    Kpwll- I have bought one of those Heroes advent calendars- they are huge in comparison aren't they?

Welcome Newbies!

I ordered some make up that DD has asked for from Space NK which came yesterday but it looks as if it has been swiped (its a highlighter trio pallet), after what became a fairly heated discussion with customer services (" there is no way it could have been used its sent straight from the manufacturer" - no way cus they are in the US and it arrived within 3 day or ordering it with a UK postmark), only after I sent a photo did she reluctantly agree to send me a new one out today (so much for coming straight form the manufacturer!!). Then in a casual conversation with DD I find out that I have ordered the WRONG thing- she wanted bronzer! Im a bit mad with myself but seriously not amused about Space NK. It was £60 so I don't think its unreasonable to expect an unblemished (not to say unused) item. Grr- it makes my blood boil!

Has anyone seen that Asda are doing a cheese advent calendar? This is ideal for DH as he must have been a mouse in a previous life cus he loves cheese. Its £9.99 and apparently goes on sale on 6th November.

I bought some acrylic stag LED fairy lights from The Range for £5.99. they are lovely but I saw them in Home Bargains earlier in the week for £3.99 so I might go and get some more from there. They are quite big at around 10 cm each stag and I thought they would look nice on the shelf in some greenery.
    lovin' this site!
    :j
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice. I think buying cheap and cheerful (literally) is my best option for decorations for this year. My mum told me she bought a bauble for £3 from JL. For 1!!!. £3!!!!

That's the MSE in me flipping out.

I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for some bargains. Red and white is going to be my theme.
  • StokieBecks
    StokieBecks Posts: 4,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Speky we bought some from Primark last night. A pack of 50 for £6 - our set has red, white and green in but there are a few others colour sets too. Then we also got a set of smaller ones in the same colours they were 2.50 for 20 or 25 I think
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
  • StokieBecks
    StokieBecks Posts: 4,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    IMG_20171012_165813.jpg

IMG_20171012_170013.jpg
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
  • treeny_bash
    Options
    Hi all

Not much progress on the Christmas front - although my new sofa is here so I have a better idea of what the seating arrangements will be over the period, and my pink sequined table runner and sparkly pink napkin rings are here, so I set up my table and it looks pretty nice - not overly Christmassy yet, I'm deffo going to need to hang some decorations in the dining area to bring the theme together. Haven't gotten my fridge freezer yet, I'm away this weekend, but free the next two, so tidying up the garage is on the list for then so there's a space for it to live.

I'm busy prepping for the craft fair which is now only 3 weeks away :O I'm pretty behind where I should be in terms of what I've got ready, some stuff is easy to make and I can get caught up within a day, but there's other stuff like knitted booties and fabric roses that I was planning to make that I might not have time for now. I'm quite annoyed with myself, and worried that my stall is going to look pretty empty. Hopefully next weekend I'll manage to spend a significant amount of time on getting caught up.

In terms of Christmas prep, I'm putting in a Tesco order today for my Christmas cake ingredients which I'll get made over the next couple of weeks. I need to go to Ikea, so need to figure out if I can bribe my parents into giving us a lift or if it's better to do public transport - and if I can talk my parents into visiting The Range, B&M, Wilkos and Ikea all in one trip! BF has been asking for a real Christmas tree for the last 5 years - living in a flat in London it's never seemed worth it, but this year, in a house, he's now decided it's too much hassle. But that's one less thing to worry about spending money on. I have seen these though, that I'm definitely getting - can't wait to see my guests faces!

https://www.matalan.co.uk/product/detail/s2663136_c000/reindeer-toilet-seat-pedestal-mat-set-red

BF wants to go away for a weekend break in December, but that's still up for discussion - we're already in Wales for a weekend, and I have to go to London for my Christmas do, so I'm not sure I'll have the energy!
  • kabinsons1
    Options
    Hi All

Quietly keeping up with the thread, reading how everybody is doing with Christmas shopping/preparations or just enjoying the autumn and the nights drawing in :)

Thanks for giving a shortcut trip about Christmas shopping or preparations.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport