Waitrose

Options

Comments

• MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 22 December 2016 at 7:38PM
    Options
    Well firstly don't read any tripe PETA put out. They euthanise 90% of the animals they 'save' I won't take their opinion on anything.

To the OP, Sorry but you're getting worked up over nothing. The picker made a sensible choice. They didn't know your welfare standards.

Orders are picked in the date they are being delivered, for many reasons including stock rotation and making sure that people get fresh items. They can't reserve a turkey weeks in advance.

You don't want that turkey, reject and buy another. End of story.
    And, regarding PETA, don't forget the walk-in freezers capable of holding 1,000+ animal corpses in their HQ. Nor the hypocritical vice president they have - Mary Beth Sweetman.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Any fresh turkey you buy this year, "organic" included, will have been kept exclusively indoors for at least the last couple of weeks owing to the restrictions imposed due to the threat of bird flu. Best stick to the veggie sausages if you want your conscience to remain clear.
  • marcarm
    marcarm Posts: 1,205 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 22 December 2016 at 7:33PM
    Options
    In that case, theres plenty of veggie sausages in the freezer. I would rather have had NO turkey as NOBODY will want to eat it anyway.

Then you should have checked the turkey was acceptable while the driver was with you and sent it back if not. Don;t know about Waitrose but when the others deliver a sub the driver lets you know so you can agree/reject it as required.

Quite easy really, mountains and molehills etc
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't particularly care what's happened to an animal whilst it was alive, as long as it's tasty when dead.
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My sister only eats organic, free range meat. She always orders her turkey from a local farm, that way they reserve a specific turkey for you and it's guaranteed (bird flu permitting!!). Supermarkets aren't the place to reserve turkeys far in advance as they don't work like that.

I done an online shop for a small turkey joint as I'm doing a small Christmas dinner for my friends tomorrow, they didn't have it in stock, but I wasn't too surprised, but I left it long enough so I could go into a shop and get one (and I did).

As others have said you could have rejected it when the driver gave it to you, I've done that before when a silly substitution was made.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I'm surprised that someone with the land to raise their own turkeys is getting stuff from Waitrose and Abel and Cole - or do you just have a very big garden in the stockbroker belt?

As Sharon87 just said - local producer is the way to go. Ours is ordered from a farm shop and they happily give you the opportunity to visit the actual farm during the autumn. It's a 40 minute drive to collect but well worth it.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Sicard
    Sicard Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm a sort of vegetarian. I eat meat then feel guilty about it afterwards.
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
    Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

• ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If you eat meat and care about animal welfare then major supermarkets are not the place to buy your meat. The schemes they sign up to such as Red Tractor are largely meaningless, and they all sell unlabelled halal meat.
  • RuthnJasper
    Options
    Use a local independent butcher and support the smaller business instead of vast supermarket conglomerates.

Looking at all the issues in the world at the moment - Aleppo and Donald Trump, for example, are things to be "fuming" about; not meat from a supermarket chain. I do care about animal welfare - but doing research more thoroughly would take care of the OP's conscience rather than merely buying something with "organic" written on the pack.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    PETA probably mean well, but a lot of their publicity applies to the USA and their fact-checking isn't always 100%

Organic status in the UK certainly carries some of the very highest animal welfare standards. Things that are commonplace in the USA (antibiotics/growth hormones in milk for instance) simply do not apply in the UK/EU anyway, and absolutely not for any Organic certified products.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure