Waitrose

I am fuming. As a passionate advocate of animal welfare, I always buy organic meat. Nearly three months ago I ordered an organic turkey from waitrose to be delivered this week. Foolishly I assumed what you order is reserved for you. Imagine my shock when the turkey delivered was not organic free range and an email later explained they had run out and the personal shopper selected an alternative product. Customer Services didn't even have the decency to reply to my complaining email. I can't even bring myself to cook the turkey so will be giving it away.

Abel & Cole - I am sorry I strayed and I will be a faithful customer from now on.

Comments

• marcarm
    marcarm Posts: 1,205 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    But if they had not sent a replacement, you may have been left with NO turkey for Xmas.

You were within your rights to send it back with the driver as not suitable and source your own alternative, imagine how many threads there would be on here if no substitutions are made and people are left with just half an order.

'I ordered a turkey and they couldn't deliver the one I wanted. Instead of providing a substitute they didn't bring anything. Now it's only a couple of day before Xmas and I can't find a turkey anywhere..........................'
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Well firstly don't read any tripe PETA put out. They euthanise 90% of the animals they 'save' I won't take their opinion on anything.

To the OP, Sorry but you're getting worked up over nothing. The picker made a sensible choice. They didn't know your welfare standards.

Orders are picked in the date they are being delivered, for many reasons including stock rotation and making sure that people get fresh items. They can't reserve a turkey weeks in advance.

You don't want that turkey, reject and buy another. End of story.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    If you were that passionate about animal welfare would you be eating meat at all?

And this is what Waitrose have to say about their turkeys:

"All Waitrose turkeys come from British and Irish farms, and are reared by carefully chosen farmers who share our values on quality, food safety and animal welfare. We know every farmer we work with, which means we can trace every bird back to the farm where it was reared. We believe that the better the turkeys are cared for, the better the quality of their meat."

http://www.waitrose.com/home/christmaswithwaitrose/turkey_buying_guide/about-our-turkeys.html?wtrint=1-Content-_-2-Christmas2013-_-3-turkey_buying_guide-_-4--_-5-nav-_-6-aboutturkeys
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,640 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Cloudydaze wrote: »

That quote is from a vegan site in the USA, they're hardly likely to support any form of raising animals for slaughter.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • marcarm wrote: »
    But if they had not sent a replacement, you may have been left with NO turkey for Xmas.

You were within your rights to send it back with the driver as not suitable and source your own alternative, imagine how many threads there would be on here if no substitutions are made and people are left with just half an order.

'I ordered a turkey and they couldn't deliver the one I wanted. Instead of providing a substitute they didn't bring anything. Now it's only a couple of day before Xmas and I can't find a turkey anywhere..........................'

In that case, theres plenty of veggie sausages in the freezer. I would rather have had NO turkey as NOBODY will want to eat it anyway.
  • agrinnall wrote: »
    If you were that passionate about animal welfare would you be eating meat at all?

And this is what Waitrose have to say about their turkeys:

"All Waitrose turkeys come from British and Irish farms, and are reared by carefully chosen farmers who share our values on quality, food safety and animal welfare. We know every farmer we work with, which means we can trace every bird back to the farm where it was reared. We believe that the better the turkeys are cared for, the better the quality of their meat."

http://www.waitrose.com/home/christmaswithwaitrose/turkey_buying_guide/about-our-turkeys.html?wtrint=1-Content-_-2-Christmas2013-_-3-turkey_buying_guide-_-4--_-5-nav-_-6-aboutturkeys

What a ridiculous statement. Of course I would still eat meat. I butchered six turkeys a couple of years ago. They tasted delicious. I just havent had time this year to raise turkeys.
  • Well firstly don't read any tripe PETA put out. They euthanise 90% of the animals they 'save' I won't take their opinion on anything.

To the OP, Sorry but you're getting worked up over nothing. The picker made a sensible choice. They didn't know your welfare standards.

Orders are picked in the date they are being delivered, for many reasons including stock rotation and making sure that people get fresh items. They can't reserve a turkey weeks in advance.

You don't want that turkey, reject and buy another. End of story.

What a load of crap. Waitrose have contacted me and said that something has gone very wrong as the turkey you order is the turkey that is delivered.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Your attitude is appalling.

Yes of course you 'should' get the one you ordered, but they can't reserve it, people order weeks in advance and stocks of things like this can change easily. Otherwise why would substitutions exist?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure