Saving accounts as a Student

Options
Hi,

I am a mature student studing a full time course.

I am very lucky at the moment as I worked pretty much full time over the summer, and have budgeted throughout the first year and am in a position to start saving. To re-assure those younger students, I have had a very very quiet first year, and due to the age difference, did not do any joint socials. So I have been very boring.

I am at the point where, personally, I would like to start putting money aside for a deposit for a house, so that I have some savings for when I leave university in 2 years time. I currently have a student account with Co-operative Bank, and I work one day of the week. I have estimated that I can put £100 aside a month.

What should I do? Shall I just keep my money in one account, or is there an account that is specifially made for students in my position?

Thanks kindly

Lou.:rotfl:

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The best earning accounts for the type of saving you want to do are regular savers, which pay up to 5%. The problem for you may be getting one, as you also need an associated current account and as a student you might find it difficult qualifying for one.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/best-regular-savings-accounts
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Not specifically for students but you could try getting a 2nd current account with somewhere like Nationwide. You have to meet funding criteria, which may take some work but it pays 5% on up to £2500 for the 1st yr and gives you access to their regular saver which can take up to £500 a month.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • WibblyGirly
    Options
    I'm a mature student and I have a Halifax help to buy ISA. Can deposit up to £200 a month and the government top it up by 25% of your savings when go you to buy a house.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure