Las Vegas guide and MSE thread 2017

Options

Comments

• Chyna-s
    Chyna-s Posts: 3,097 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hackers76 wrote: »
    Good to hear, I am looking at trying to get those rewards for January. Is it a set menu or can you choose (assuming this would be limited)?
    It is a set menu but lovely food, very well presented and great flavours. You do have to like steak though as the main choice is limited to 3 different steaks, a salmon and I think a vegetarian option (I'm a carnivore so always ignore this lol).
    Thank you all who post.
  • Chyna-s
    Chyna-s Posts: 3,097 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    we have also done it

we both had fillet steak and got some super odds chips and slot credit.

from memory my wife won about £75 with the slots credit, which paid for the meal as we only bought the £25 food and drink credit from myvegas

was well worth it
    We had the bill delivered at the end of the meal. Came to £130 but have a great big red 'complimentary' stamped over it. Left a nice tip as the staff were so so nice. We ended up with £175 of super odd chips between us and these lasted about 15 minutes max on the roulette table but we walked away with £100 to actually cash out. All in all, a lovely evening.
    Thank you all who post.
  • nvh
    nvh Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    stoneman wrote: »
    Not Vegas related but a good story.
    We just came back from a week in Philadelphia. Flew AA MAN-PHL
    On the return we were sitting on the plane. They needed 4 volunteers to deplane, offering $1600 each in vouchers. We jumped out of our seats so quick he hardly had time to finish his plea.
    By the time we got to the desk it had reached $2.5K EACH!!
    Hotel, meals and flight home the next night........

Except the next night the flight was oversold again so we took the deal again, so we have nearly $10,000 worth of AA vouchers to spend.

They asked again last night but we were tired of living in the same clothes and I needed to really get back to work.
    Nice result! - Was that a cash booking? What class? :)
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,521 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    nvh wrote: »
    Nice result! - Was that a cash booking? What class? :)
    Yes it was cash, paid £400 each FLYING ECONOMY!!!!!

Now that you've picked yourself off of the floor it seems as though the US penalty for involuntary denied boarding is much more lucrative to the customer than our UE261 compo.

If you are involuntarily bumped you get 400% of the one way fare you purchased, so you can see why airlines are keen to throw lots of money for people to voluntarily give up their seat.
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,521 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 November 2017 at 7:20PM
    Options
    $10,000 worth of flights?! Or does it cover flights and hotels?

Either way, you basically blagged yourself enough to cover multiple business class or a couple of first class tickets!

Lucky!!

Just flights, no blackout dates, must be booked within a year.

Seeing that I can get get 2 business class seats to LAS via DUB for around £2.5K
    that's almost 3 lots of flights.
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • vegasvisitor
    Options
    I've posted on here for quite a while, but I've got a wee change of username as my previous username was a bit careless in terms of confidentiality. Although I didn't care when posting on here, I've realised I shouldn't have used my name in my username and it put me off using other forums.

Lesley. (but I'll stop signing my name after this post lol). Might also edit this out in a few days.
  • Jon1970
    Jon1970 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    So off to Vegas for Thanksgiving!

I'm sure a lot of this info has been posted but thought I would add it just in case some of it hasn't.

Going with my brother and unfortunately his work circumstances have conspired against us meaning I am having to cover the whole cost of his holiday including his spending money meaning my budget has been cut I have had to be very smart with the money we have. Thought it worthwhile sharing my tips so far.

Stating with the trip I booked through Low Cost USA, however found that using travel supermarket was actually cheaper than going directly through Low Cost USA first, Booked 2 rooms (can't share with my brother) and whilst unable to book that through their site they price matched it when booking over the phone. I find that flying Thursday to Thursday is the cheapest, effectively arrive back on a Friday and have the weekend to recover as well.

So onto flights. Flying Virgin, extortionate £30 each way per seat minimum to choose your seats early, normally you can choose your seats for free when you check in, however you can only do online check in 24 hours before the flight, however if you join their flyer club, which is free to join, you can select your seats 72 hours before your flight for free so better than the 24 hours than those not in the know will get.

MyVegas has done us proud, I have tickets for us both for Cirque du Soleil - Love, Cirque du Soleil - Ka, Fantasy, Steel Panther, BOGOF 7 day Monorail pass, several Wolfgang Puck $25 off vouchers and BOGOF entree vouchers, Madame Tussauds tickets (they were hard to get as always sold out), free beer each in TopGolf.

So for other stuff I have already booked. I found the Ice Hockey tickets were actually cheaper to buy from the secondary ticket market rather than direct from the venue, worked about a half price saving. Night flight in a helecopter over the strip, have done this previously with the same company and booked through GC Tours at $85, flight is with Sundance Helicopters, but is cheaper to go through GC Tours rather than direct, IMO it's unbelievable value for money being picked up in a limo, glass of bubbly at the heliport all included. Last visit I also used GC Tours and booked a trip to the Grand Canyon by bus, whilst in Vegas they emailed me and offered my a complimentary upgrade to one of their VIP Tours as they had spare room, it was such a nice thing to do and I would 100% recommend them.

So also been doing some extreme couponing to save a few $$ whilst there, managed to snag $10 off a $30 coupon for Planet Hollywood by an easy search on the net. Also there are a couple of places we will eat in so have signed up on their websites and been sent coupons through from them. House of Blues restuarant 20% off drinks and food (better than the 15% off on MyVegas), Ri Ra Irish pub $5 off a $20 spend. Definitely worth signing up on their website if their are any places you intend to visit

Birthday - So it's my birthday when we are out there and a few bits I have found out/got because of it. Ri Ra send you a $10 off a $30 spend for your birthday reading the coupon you have 30 days to use it from when they send it to you so you don't have to use it on your birthday, Earl of Sandwich, sign up to their website and get a free sandwich on your birthday, Luxor - On your birthday apparently you get to spend their bonus wheel at the MLife desk to win up to $100 max in bonus play. Eiffel Tower apparently give you a coupon for free entry on your birthday.
  • bobbyhibs
    Options
    hi and sounds like you have a plan jon1970!

enjoy your trip and hopefully we can maybe have a trip report when you come back!!
    have fun !!:j
  • pebblesmax
    pebblesmax Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well done on the budgeting. I’m glad you managed to get the Cirque tickets, they always seem to be sold out for me. How many rewards are you allowed? Seems like more than the standard 3/30days.

Where are you staying?
  • Jon1970
    Jon1970 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Only 3 in 30 used for MGM (x2 Cirque and Fantasy), all other rewards non MGM which I believe is within their T & Cs.

Staying at the Luxor this time, upgraded rooms to the Cleo rooms, stayed at the Westgate in May, wouldn't stay there again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure