🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Las Vegas guide and MSE thread 2017

Options

Comments

• StuieUK34
    StuieUK34 Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    booking direct with Avis compared with using a broker to get a cheaper deal doesn't sound normal ? but hey ho !
  • zsazsa11
    Options
    I must admit i never get a quote from Avis for Vegas before my posting, as they are always at the top end of the price range when we rent a car in Germany. I was surprised when that price came up, but the Avis UK website has a 25% end of season sale, so thats maybe why the price is good. Compared to Alamo its the same fuel policy as last year with Alamo, tank is full and you return it full.. The insurance looks similar but getting a friend to double check it
  • iltisman
    iltisman Posts: 2,589 Forumite
    Options
    Only downside I saw with Avis was the booth in the garage directs you to a bay number so you don't get to pick your car from a row. Having said that at San Diego I got an upgrade and the car was very well prepared for rental.
  • gracie10
    gracie10 Posts: 549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Been back a week now, so all back to normal, still really tired.
    This time we did 2 night vegas, 3 nights palm springs, 5 nights LA then back to vegas for 4 nights.
    Our first 2 nights in vegas were at the platinum. Thanks stoneman for the contact. Really enjoyed it although didnt get to use the pool as we met some friends at caesars palace pool that day. Enjoyed the happy hour in the bar with the free wine!!
    Our last 4 nights were at The Encore. Loved it here, have stayed at The Wynn before. As we had the kids with us though we had a queen room and apparently all the queen rooms face the club. Had a lot of noise from there on the sunday and monday night but did manage to go back off. Did think about asking to move but couldnt really be bothered!!
    Visited some of our favourite restaurants again, mon ami, stripburger, casa di amore. Also tried lakeside in the wynn and sinatras in the encore both very expenise but wonderful food and service.
    Spent a lot of time in the pool and had a cabana one day.
    Also took the kids to see mystere which they really enjoyed. They also did a helicopter tour of the strip which we booked on Groupon.
    The kids also really enjoyed the rides in circus circus.
    Did the normal shopping at the outlets but didnt buy as much as we normally do because of the poor exchange rate.
    We have been a few times now so this was more of a relaxing trip. Didnt even venture past the bellagio i think from where we were at the encore.
    If i think of anything else i will post later!! Cant believe have been back home and done a full week at work, its been a really long week, got the holiday blues big time!!
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,521 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Re car hire: from what I'm reading it seems that lots of people go direct to indevidule hire sites to price up. Why not go straight to a comparison I wonder.
    I always open up moneysupermarket in one browser., Search for cheapest price then in a different browser use Quidco to se if any of the cheapest prices also have cash Back
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • pebblesmax
    pebblesmax Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    stoneman wrote: »
    Re car hire: from what I'm reading it seems that lots of people go direct to indevidule hire sites to price up. Why not go straight to a comparison I wonder.
    I always open up moneysupermarket in one browser., Search for cheapest price then in a different browser use Quidco to se if any of the cheapest prices also have cash Back
    That's what I do too.
  • Rebecca01
    Rebecca01 Posts: 725 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Leaving today for Manchester airport. So excited.

Also I have price matched with expedia and they have emailed me to say they will refund me £300.

More Gambling money ��

Flying with Thomas Cook. Fully aware of all the charges. But guess thats why it is slightly cheaper.
  • Brats64
    Brats64 Posts: 465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Rebecca01 wrote: »
    Leaving today for Manchester airport. So excited.

Also I have price matched with expedia and they have emailed me to say they will refund me £300.

More Gambling money ��

Flying with Thomas Cook. Fully aware of all the charges. But guess thats why it is slightly cheaper.

Enjoy your trip,and have a great time.
    Buy your drink before boarding.A few quid on the IFE is worth it to make the flight pass quicker.

Be lucky.
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,521 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Brats64 wrote: »
    Enjoy your trip,and have a great time.
    Buy your drink before boarding.A few quid on the IFE is worth it to make the flight pass quicker.

Be lucky.

I always thought they frowned on you consuming your own liquor, but of course they have to catch you I guess.
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • stevenhp1987
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    Was that like for like regarding all insurances , fuel etc

I've used Avis a few times now - including when I went to Vegas in May this year.

For all US rentals it includes $0 excess and additional liability insurance - so long as you buy from the UK site (which is cheaper than the US site too).

Also, I flew with Virgin Atlantic which gave me a discount (code on frequent flier card online) and I collected airmiles.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport