Forum Home» Loans

Unsure whether to consolidate - please advise - Page 19

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Unsure whether to consolidate - please advise

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Loans
251 replies 104.3K views

Replies

• DobbibillDobbibill Forumite, Board Guide
    3.9K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Look at my signature! :D:j

This is brilliant, absolutely fantastic and a huge well done to you zippy - you came looking for support and guidance less than 2 yrs ago.

You have come so far and acheived so much, I could burst with pride for you after following your journey from the first post on this thread.

:money:

Dobbi
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
  • Look at my signature! :D:j

Haha, someone is very happy with themselves :) well done!!!
  • lindezlindez Forumite
    603 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Look at my signature! :D:j
    Congratulations Zippy x
    MFWB#2
    MFTT5 #28
    Save 12k 2020 #111
  • beanieloubeanielou Forumite
    73.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    What a jouney :)
    Well done :D
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **
    MFW. 9 months to go. B)
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
  • zippygeorgeandbenzippygeorgeandben Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    Well hello everyone! You didn't think I was going to disappear did you? Well I've just had my first full month of being debt free so I was excited to see what my finances looked like at the end of the month. I'm pleased to report I had an £800 surplus. The hard work should now start reaping dividends. If I can have months where I don't splash out on unnecessary luxuries then all should be good!
    My 'needs' add up to nearly £1000 a month. It seems SO much but when rent and council tax add up to £670, I guess £330 on all direct debits/SOs isn't that bad I guess?
    I'm really looking to tackle the electric bill though now. £82pcm for a small 2 bed top floor flat. It's too much. Thanks to this site I've seen that companies cannot charge you an exit fee when you're within 56 days of your contract ending. I think that's right so I intend to look at this.
    Savings as of September 2020
    Savings account 1 - £15628.82(15614.12)Savings account 2 - £6000(5500.00)
    Current account - £2550.39(3524.52)
    Total - £24179.21 (24638.64)
    Plus £728.45 (£50 per month between CS/BS) HTB £1200
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    3.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I believe it's 49 days for energy exit fees.

Your energy company should have sent you a letter to tell you this ;)
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

1.2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone,
    I want you to guide me on the next bit of this thread. It's been a journey hasn't it!
    My next thought is to turn it into saving and recording my surplus at the end of each month. What do you think? I'm open to suggestions?
    I really want to keep the signature I have worked on since starting this adventure (?!) so any suggestions are welcomed as I have received several PMs regarding this sticky since I started and wouldn't want it just to become dormant.
    Thanks for reading.
    3.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello everyone,
    I want you to guide me on the next bit of this thread. It's been a journey hasn't it!
    My next thought is to turn it into saving and recording my surplus at the end of each month. What do you think? I'm open to suggestions?
    I really want to keep the signature I have worked on since starting this adventure (?!) so any suggestions are welcomed as I have received several PMs regarding this sticky since I started and wouldn't want it just to become dormant.
    Thanks for reading.

It really has been a journey and plenty of us cheering you on til the end ;-)

Your right though, this isn't the end. You now get to start a new savings journey. Who knows, you may buy a house, a yacht - anything is possible.

Recording your surplus every month is a great idea, it will keep your thread active and allow you to reflect on how far you've come.

My first thought about your signature - why don't you include in a post here. The reason I say this is as we go through life and different chapters, our priorities change. You may want to amend your signature in the future and by including it in a post, it will always be recorded here to look back on. It would be a shame if you felt bad about changing your signature in the future but this way you can.....if you ever want to ;)

Hopefully others will come along with more ideas to help you.

Dobbi :D

1.2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    End Sep 2016 End August 2018
    £8236.57 £0 (Tesco 4.8%) £0pcm
    £6185.75 £0 (Zopa 4.0%) £0pcm
    £5344.50 £0 (Sainsburys 0%) £0pcm
    £2000.00 £0 (Sister 0%) £0pcm
    Total debt £19.766.82 £0 Original DFD May 2019.

Ben's debt free signature. Saved to make way for a new shiny savings signature!
  • Willing2LearnWilling2Learn Forumite
    6.3K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would also use it to keep a record of your surplus. I would also start a 'savings snowball' rolling and would keep a record of that too. It's the same as a debt snowball except it is now for savings :)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley: