Stopped by police...

Options
Hi all

I was stopped by police few days back near home and just wanted some advice.

I got off the train at A station approximately 5.42pm. I walked to my car on B road and then proceeded to drive home via C road

When I reached D road at 6pm an unmarked police car turned their lights on so I stopped on the side of the road.

Somebody got out of the car and knocked on my window stating he was a police officer, he did not give his name or provide a warrant and was wearing plain clothes. He asked me to turn the engine off and step out of the car on to the pavement.

He asked me if I knew why I had been stopped and I said I don’t know, he then asked me this a number of times to which I said I do not know. He then asked me whose car this is and I said It is registered to my dad (different address) and I am the named policyholder on the insurance.

The other police office got out of the car (again no warrant, no name and plain clothes) then asked me if I had a driving licence. I said yes and gave it to them. He confirmed my address and name.

I was then told that they had been following me for 10 miles (its is only 6 miles from A station to D road, so clearly lying). I was told I was driving too close to another car on C and they asked me what the stopping distance was at 30mph and I said that it was about 30m. They said no it’s 22m and why do I not know that.

They then said that that I drove dangerously at a junction when turning right. I said that I slowed look and it was clear and the lights were red on the main road in both directions. They then asked who the car is registered to and I said my dad, whose name and address I gave and the fact that it is a motability vehicle.

They then said if I had just apologise (wasn't given any chance) then they could have just let it go but now they will issue me with a court summons instead. They did not say for what offence the summons would be for.

They then told me to leave, the only things they wrote down were the licence details and dads details. They did not take the licence to the car for checks.
I have 14 years clean licence, no points, no fines ever.

The whole experience really shook me and I'm just really worried what would happen?

Comments

• Franz_Ferdinand
    Options
    decrement wrote: »
    Hi all

I was stopped by police few days back near home and just wanted some advice.

I got off the train at A station approximately 5.42pm. I walked to my car on B road and then proceeded to drive home via C road

When I reached D road at 6pm an unmarked police car turned their lights on so I stopped on the side of the road.

Somebody got out of the car and knocked on my window stating he was a police officer, he did not give his name or provide a warrant and was wearing plain clothes. He asked me to turn the engine off and step out of the car on to the pavement.

He asked me if I knew why I had been stopped and I said I don’t know, he then asked me this a number of times to which I said I do not know. He then asked me whose car this is and I said It is registered to my dad (different address) and I am the named policyholder on the insurance.

The other police office got out of the car (again no warrant, no name and plain clothes) then asked me if I had a driving licence. I said yes and gave it to them. He confirmed my address and name.

I was then told that they had been following me for 10 miles (its is only 6 miles from A station to D road, so clearly lying). I was told I was driving too close to another car on C and they asked me what the stopping distance was at 30mph and I said that it was about 30m. They said no it’s 22m and why do I not know that.

They then said that that I drove dangerously at a junction when turning right. I said that I slowed look and it was clear and the lights were red on the main road in both directions. They then asked who the car is registered to and I said my dad, whose name and address I gave and the fact that it is a motability vehicle.

They then said if I had just apologise (wasn't given any chance) then they could have just let it go but now they will issue me with a court summons instead. They did not say for what offence the summons would be for.

They then told me to leave, the only things they wrote down were the licence details and dads details. They did not take the licence to the car for checks.
    I have 14 years clean licence, no points, no fines ever.

The whole experience really shook me and I'm just really worried what would happen?

Did you apologise? If you did that may be then end of it.

If not and your convicted of dangerous driving you could be banned for 12 months and face an extended retest.
  • mparter
    mparter Posts: 409 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You sure they were police? I would contact your local police station and talk it over with them.

There was an incident reported in the local news near me recently where a woman was stopped by what she thought was a plain clothes traffic cop. Turns out it was 3 men masquerading as police officers. Luckily she thought it was dodgy and drove away.

If they are prosecuting you then the bare minimum I think they have to give you is a verbal Notice of Intended Prosecution whereby they tell you that you are being reported for the consideration of prosecution for the offence of X. But they have to tell you what you are being prosecuted for.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    Even in the unmarked cars, the Police wear uniforms, I strongly suggest you contact the Police and tell them you gave your address to people claiming to be Police officers.
    They should have given you a NIP at the roadside and this would normally be done with you inside the Police vehicle.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • decrement
    Options
    Did you apologise? If you did that may be then end of it.

If not and your convicted of dangerous driving you could be banned for 12 months and face an extended retest.

I didn't apologise as i was trying to understand what they were accusing me of and what proof they had apart from their word.
  • decrement
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    Even in the unmarked cars, the Police wear uniforms, I strongly suggest you contact the Police and tell them you gave your address to people claiming to be Police officers.
    They should have given you a NIP at the roadside and this would normally be done with you inside the Police vehicle.

I'm 99% sure they were genuine but true you never know.

No NIP was given, just wrote my licence down and said they will issue a court summons to my address. I didn't go near their car either.
  • decrement
    Options
    mparter wrote: »
    You sure they were police? I would contact your local police station and talk it over with them.

There was an incident reported in the local news near me recently where a woman was stopped by what she thought was a plain clothes traffic cop. Turns out it was 3 men masquerading as police officers. Luckily she thought it was dodgy and drove away.

If they are prosecuting you then the bare minimum I think they have to give you is a verbal Notice of Intended Prosecution whereby they tell you that you are being reported for the consideration of prosecution for the offence of X. But they have to tell you what you are being prosecuted for.

They didnt give any formal verbal NIP, just that ill get a court summons, but not what it was for.

Literally said "We have you details and we will report you for a court summons, go home."
  • decrement wrote: »
    They didnt give any formal verbal NIP, just that ill get a court summons, but not what it was for.

Literally said "We have you details and we will report you for a court summons, go home."

Sounds 'Dodgy' to say the least .....
  • Tilt
    Tilt Posts: 3,599 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds odd. I would expect a police officer in plain clothes in the circumstances to show his/her warrant card without being asked.

I'm inclined to agree with mparter and make enquiries at the local police station whether this was a genuine stop or not. It dosn't sound like they have followed the correct protocol either if they intend to "report" you for any offences you may of committed.

Please keep us posted.
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
  • Franz_Ferdinand
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »

Not all police do.
  • Not all police do.

But they all have warrant cards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills