Winter fuel allowance

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    This is the second year since retiring that I've had a letter from HMRC saying that I've not paid enough tax:mad:.

I presume the way it happened the first year was down to part of the year being in work and then part of the year on State Pension only. This year I suppose it must be down to spending part of the year on State Pension only and the latter part of the year on full pension (ie having reached my revised SPA during that time).

So there definitely shouldnt be any more letters like that in future years - as come the next tax year onwards my income will be fixed at State Pension and work pension and no changes anticipated from here on in for rest of life.

....and I've still not got that Winter Fuel Allowance yet! I know it's destined to be part of the money I am getting together to leave in my bank account as what I call "cash flow money" (ie a few hundred £s that havent been earmarked for anything - to ensure there can be no accidental overdraft) - so I'm going to count it as having been received and being part of that anyway - but that's not quite the point:cool:
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,037 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Winter Fuel allowance hit the bank 2 days ago. Letter received this morning saying that it 'would be paid in the next 3 weeks'.

I assume they don't send the letters out first so they don't get 'phone calls asking exactly when it will be paid!
  • margaretclare
    Options
    Previous years it has been in the bank about this end of November, so probably will be there next week.

I also had a very nice letter from HMRC yesterday. Apparently too much tax was deducted in the tax year to April, reclaim through the Government Gateway. WFP £150, tax refund £238.40, total £388.40. Travel expenses this month, it will all be very welcome.

I'm not doing anything for Christmas, nothing at all. Not known yet what's happening about DH - prospects of surgery but being actively treated before then so he's not a bed-blocker. If we couldn't talk to each other by mobile, I don't know what we'd do. He has his laptop and that's a godsend too. I'm not eating a lot so not a lot spent on food.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 26 November 2016 at 5:31PM
    Options
    Winter Fuel allowance hit the bank 2 days ago. Letter received this morning saying that it 'would be paid in the next 3 weeks'.

I assume they don't send the letters out first so they don't get 'phone calls asking exactly when it will be paid!

Hopefully that was a standard letter then? ie all those of us not yet in receipt of it will get it "paid in the next 3 weeks". That's on or before 17 December 2016 then. Will stick a note in my diary on 18 December saying "Should be in account yesterday at the latest". EDIT; Just done - tick.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,037 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    “ Winter Fuel allowance hit the bank 2 days ago. Letter received this morning saying that it 'would be paid in the next 3 weeks'.

Originally posted by Silvertabby
    Hopefully that was a standard letter then? ie all those of us not yet in receipt of it will get it "paid in the next 3 weeks". That's on or before 17 December 2016 then. Will stick a note in my diary on 18 December saying "Should be in account yesterday at the latest". EDIT; Just done - tick.

Yes, it was just a bog standard letter. I don't know if it makes any difference, but this is first year we have qualified for WFA - and Mr S had to apply for it because he's not in receipt of his State pension or pension credit, but recently reached pension credit age.
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    DH it the fuel letter this morning and it was in the bank.

Mitstm there are very natural dyes, vegetable stuff, I am sure you can google some. But honestly why bother? At least for me this is no longer an issue, although I appreciate it that for some women and men it is a big issue whether to tint or go grey.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    Options
    Caterina wrote: »
    DH it the fuel letter this morning and it was in the bank.

Mitstm there are very natural dyes, vegetable stuff, I am sure you can google some. But honestly why bother? At least for me this is no longer an issue, although I appreciate it that for some women and men it is a big issue whether to tint or go grey.

Have had stuff sent through - so will discuss possibilities with my hairdresser. I guess it's more of an issue to me because I'm pretty fair colouring anyway - so with white hair I look halfway towards a ghost I'm that pale now. Hence contemplating a bit of colour....
  • jennifernil
    Options
    We both got our letters in the last 7 days, but no sign of any money yet.
    Options
    Yay! Finally had my letter about this yesterday - so it should appear in my bank account any minute now.

Whew! Sigh of relief that it's turning up as per plan - with this being the first year I've got it (with them having found an "excuse" not to pay it last year of a technicality).

I've now got my full pensioner income at last. Only one other thing basically left of it to get - ie the free TV licence at 75. I don't think I'll be "holding my breath" about that one.
  • margaretclare
    Options
    WFP in the bank this morning. Well, mine was. DH will have had his, but as he's still in hospital he probably isn't bothering to look for it. Didn't get any letter/s, but not worried about that.

I've got some Oakhouse Foods 'mini-meals' on order. Cannot be bothered to do much cooking. Everything is still very uncertain, except that (1) the likelihood for DH is amputation rather than reconstruction - it was only a tiny chance anyway and (2) he has to continue with the IVI antibiotics 3 x day for another week or maybe longer.

I'm grateful that the house is warm, I have a warm bed, plenty of food, car outside (although frozen!), enough money for my needs, internet access to a wider world and mobile phones which enable DH and me to keep in touch.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport