🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Tesco Bank

Options

Comments

• cmh4135
    cmh4135 Posts: 199 Forumite
    Options
    Same here - account never used so it looks like an internal compromise rather than anything else.
  • Birdman2015
    Options
    Wife was able to speak to someone after 45 minutes holiday, fraud department to call her back within 48 hours, account is on hold till then.
  • Rollinghome
    Rollinghome Posts: 2,677 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They've now updated the phone message to say that if you've received a text message a new card will be sent. I got a text message for the one of two accounts that looks fine but not for the other which clearly has been compromised with a payment for £300 pending.

It can happen to any organisitation but they seem to have been slow to act and inform customers what they should do and still don't seem to fully have a grip on it. Meanwhile, I assume other customers can't get through with possibly urgent but unrelated problems.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,526 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    For those effected, had you 'activated' your debit cards, even if never used? Just wondered if that made any difference.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.38% of current retirement "pot" (as at end April 2024)
  • Chrisv
    Chrisv Posts: 5,122 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    For those effected, had you 'activated' your debit cards, even if never used? Just wondered if that made any difference.

4 accounts here (2 adults) one account affected (up to now) and yes, debit cards had been activated.

Probably unconnected, but we switched 2 "spare" accounts to tescobank last week (for the 2500 cc points offer).
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »

Not all cards require activating. I don't remember ever having to activate my Tesco cards.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    They've now updated the phone message to say that if you've received a text message a new card will be sent.

Also claims the breach is due to a 3rd party but that can't be true as many have never used their cards at all.
  • colin79666
    colin79666 Posts: 1,348 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 November 2016 at 2:32PM
    Options
    jem16 wrote: »
    Also claims the breach is due to a 3rd party but that can't be true as many have never used their cards at all.
    Ah yes but who produces the cards for Tesco Bank? Probably a breach of a run of card numbers from the card supplier or a 3rd party printing and posting facility. Once some cards were being flagged as cloned I'd imagine they were able to identify which batch was affected and blocked the lot.

Just got this text from Tesco Bank while hanging on the phone:
    Yesterday our fraud prevention systems identified suspicious activity on a number of customer accounts including your own. The suspicious transactions relating to these accounts were immediately blocked to protect our customers. We are dealing with this as a matter of urgency but in the meantime the majority of customers can continue to use their cards using chip and pin functionality. Online servicing, telephony banking and the mobile app will continue to work as normal. If you have lost out due to fraud we will refund this transaction. We would recommend reviewing your payments and letting us know of any suspicious activity otherwise there is no need to call us at this stage.

Nothing funny showing on my account now so I've hung up now, taking their advice. No point everyone calling up and jamming the lines so others who have had money stolen can't get through.
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jem16 wrote: »
    Not all cards require activating. I don't remember ever having to activate my Tesco cards.

The cards I received for Tesco accounts opened this September and October both required activating.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Card production is a big risk if outsourced - but then why are just Tesco affected... would you not stay under the radar more by hammering several banks, rather than what sounds like thousands of transactions from Brazil on Tesco in a matter of hours. If they were mega concerned, they'd just block all from Brazil.

Automated computer software probably did block all from Brazil once the transaction volumes started picking up.

If the breach is at card production plant, then IMO fraudsters have been very silly not to mix it up a bit...... unless they have data ready to hit another bank in the coming days/next weekend....??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport