edited 12 November 2018 at 3:33PM in Mobiles
627 replies 167.6K views

Replies

• Mister_GMister_G Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    QCQ wrote: »
    Hi all. I'm trying to find a sim only deal for some older friends. One doesn't like mobile phones (:rotfl:) but wants a phone in the car for emergencies. She has an unlocked phone. She does not want to spend £5 a month on something she won't use. What are her best options? Are there any sims left where you can put a £5 on for calls/texts and it will stay there for a year or so? The actual cost of the calls and texts is not important, just that they will be available when needed.
    The other person does use his phone but very lightly. Again is there anything cheaper than £5 a month that would provide for very low usage? Any rollover plans for calls/texts?
    TIA
    Q

I would suggest that you look at either O2 Classic PAYG or Three's 321 PAYG. Both are 3p/min call, 2p text and 1p/Mb data. With O2 you need to top up with a min of £10 and make at least one chargeable call every 6 months. However the credit just carries on.

The deciding factor would probably be coverage. Where I live, O2 is far superior to Three.
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    8.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi all. I'm trying to find a sim only deal for some older friends. One doesn't like mobile phones (:rotfl:) but wants a phone in the car for emergencies. She has an unlocked phone. She does not want to spend £5 a month on something she won't use. What are her best options? Are there any sims left where you can put a £5 on for calls/texts and it will stay there for a year or so? The actual cost of the calls and texts is not important, just that they will be available when needed.
    The other person does use his phone but very lightly. Again is there anything cheaper than £5 a month that would provide for very low usage? Any rollover plans for calls/texts?
    TIA
    Q

Try Asda PAYG, uses EE, if you buy it over the counter it is 50p, free on line, but you have to trawl a bit to find the PAYG option https://mobile.asda.com/

Comes with a small amount of calls / text valid 30 days. Thereafter a £5 top up will see you up & running, needs to make a call / text every 3 months or so, check T & Cs for period. At 4p a text a fiver should last over 60 years:D:D
  • SlapheadSlaphead Forumite
    31 posts
    Has anyone used this company and would they recommend them:
    https://www.1pmobile.com/
  • eDickyeDicky Forumite
    5.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Slaphead wrote: »
    Search for the threads about them, they are mentored mostly favorably.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    8.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Slaphead wrote: »

Yes, but there is a requirement "To keep your account and SIM active, just make at least one £10 top-up every 120 days."

So minimum cost of £30 a year to maintain, even if you spend just 5p

Have to do your own sums to see if worthwhile, it wasn't for me
  • Tried to buy an iD SIM-only contract but gave up when they wouldn't recognise my account name.
    Anyway, why a credit check when it's only a one-month contract?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    cameronag wrote: »
    Tried to buy an iD SIM-only contract but gave up when they wouldn't recognise my account name.
    Anyway, why a credit check when it's only a one-month contract?

Because it is a contract, not a PAYG SIM.

uSwitch has a specific search option to look at no credit check SIM's

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/compare/no_credit_check_sim_only_deals/
  • KatgritKatgrit Forumite
    555 posts
    TIA
    Q
    Having been through all this with my Grandparents I can recommend Co-op mobile. Its £2 a months but comes with no calls, texts or data, they just charge you for what you use by monthly bill. We tried PAYG but Grandad just wasn't using the phone as often as needed to keep the account "active" and the one in a blue moon time he did need it he'd been cut off. Time was passing quicker than he realised, and so 90 days/6 months or whatever it is passed all too quickly, and if he did remember to use it he was only ringing his own landline, then hanging up.....thus it wasn't a chargeable call and didn't count. £24 A year is well worth paying to eliminate the need to top up during an emergency and it's been worth its weight in gold on a couple of occasions over the past couple of years!
  • pjapkpjapk Forumite
    71 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Does anyone know if the EE deal (amazon vouchers) is available for multiple phone numbers on the same account, e.g. if I switch our 3 phones in the house, all on my name, to 3 EE phones, do I get £300 in Amazon vouchers?

Intended looking online tonight when I got home & using the chat feature in EE site but chat seems to be offline ATM.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    pjapk wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the EE deal (amazon vouchers) is available for multiple phone numbers on the same account, e.g. if I switch our 3 phones in the house, all on my name, to 3 EE phones, do I get £300 in Amazon vouchers?

Intended looking online tonight when I got home & using the chat feature in EE site but chat seems to be offline ATM.

Not 100% sure but I'd be very surprised if it isn't per account rather than per phone number. Can you not take out 3 separate contracts (presuming it's not per address now I think about it)?