Banking and Phones

Options
When I set up my Barclays bank account and some building society accounts, I gave them my landline number as part of the registration process.

Soon, I will be moving, for some months, into rented accommodation where I believe that mobiles are usually used.

My question is ' Are Barclays and building societies likely to accept a mobile number as the only contact number'?

Thanks

If not any advice.

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    When I set up my Barclays bank account and some building society accounts, I gave them my landline number as part of the registration process.

Soon, I will be moving, for some months, into rented accommodation where I believe that mobiles are usually used.

My question is ' Are Barclays and building societies likely to accept a mobile number as the only contact number'?

Thanks

If not any advice.

Yes they will; in fact in some cases it is better because if they need to get hold of you urgently a mobile is better.
    More and more people are getting rid of landlines.
  • anon_private
    anon_private Posts: 171 Forumite
    edited 30 October 2016 at 5:46PM
    Options
    Thank you for the information.

Quick response too

Best wishes

A

Ps. More people may be giving up on landline phones, but we still need lines for broadband
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think they prefer a landline number from new customers as it gives an indication that they are not in temporary accommodation, but once you are established a mobile number should be fine..
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 30 October 2016 at 7:52PM
    Options
    Thank you for the information.

Quick response too

Best wishes

A

Ps. More people may be giving up on landline phones, but we still need lines for broadband

I've got a landline but could have had Virgin Media Broadband without.
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    I think they prefer a landline number from new customers as it gives an indication that they are not in temporary accommodation, but once you are established a mobile number should be fine..

I've opened 7 new current accounts with 7 new banks and only given a mobile number to each. It's not a problem.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have a landline, but don't have a phone plugged into it. Calls are far more expensive than on my mobile and I'd rather receive incoming calls on my mobile.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Some banks use mobiles for texts as part of their fraud prevention/internet banking processes anyway.
    There will be no problem with just giving them a mobile.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »

This makes no sense as you can easily have a landline number even if you don't have a landline. I have had a voip landline number for years but have not used a physical landline for years.
  • anon_private
    Options
    I am established in my present accommodation, but will need to move for a few months, and into temporary accommodation
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Not if it's communal: Where I live there is a communal broadband service which I pay into but I still have my own because it gets bogged down at times. I have a landline but almost everyone don't and use mobile phones.

Back to the topic: The rule I've always seen is at least one telephone number and during a switch or account opening they prefer a mobile number so they can send texts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure