The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Options

Comments

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Don't let it ruin your day lass xxx

Dearest Cheery - I actually take solace from the fact that someone else can't get on with cashback. I know that some folk on MSE make it work for them, and it pays dividends, but it has never done so for me. I haven't let it ruin my day, as from the outset, I remembered the mantra of 'don't rely on cashback to track to make something cheaper'. It's not actually about the £50, it's about the fact that the insurance company have told TCB that I have tried to use more than one referral system/code. They have made me out to be trying it on. I have done no such thing - and I resent that GREATLY. I am an honest person, and do not pull stunts to gain a few extra pennies or pounds - if the insurance company treats it's customers like that over premiums, how the heck are they going to treat me should I ever have the misfortune to be a claimant..........

themadvix wrote: »

I was just popping in to say I've followed your recipe for yoghurt twice now and it's delish! :D

Now isn't it funny that you should mention yoghurt-making themadvix - it's been on my mind to ressurect my youghurt making as we've had trouble recently getting a reliable source of the greek yoghurt from mrL - plus the price goes up and down like a proverbial yo-yo! And TODAY I was looking for powdered milk in mrT - and couldn't find any. I know they are revamping their valoo ranges - to universal distain by the sounds of things....... but I couldn't find any powdered milk anywhere. I did ask an assistant, but she just directed me back to where I had been looking - in with the UHT milks. MrL didn't have any either (where I looked, which could have been the wrong place) but I'm less surprised about that, as they just don't carry the line ranges - for obvious reasons being a discounter. So, my yoghurt making is currently on hold - assembled MSE'rs; can you still buy powdered milk (not for a babba) in the UK? I'm assuming that the mate4coffee stuff is different and wouldn't work? Powdered milk isn't strictly necessary, but helps you to achieve a thicker HM yoghurt style.

BG had a free apple in mrT - looked yummy actually - which they ate up. I did select a satsuma first, went to the trouble of peeling it, and putting the peel in the bin provided, only to find, as we walked away that it was FULL of pips. Great idea to feed a toddler pips..... not. So whilst I hate waste, I'm afraid it went in the bin, as our mrT is quite sniffy and has put up a handwritten sign pointing out the free fruit is for children only - plus I didn't want to be wandering around spitting out pips into my hand whilst shopping......... The only 'bargain' we got from mrT was 400g of 'fresh' blueberries YS'd to £1.50 - should have been £3 :eek: £1.50 puts them on a par with the cost of frozen BB's, so I'm going to wash them, dry them and pop them in the freezer. They will then be good for cakes or for BG's puddings with yoghurt :T

I went round mrL and gathered what I needed, went through the tills and then remembered I had forgotten porridge oats (to 'cut' the more expensive jumbo oats). So I went round again and also noticed that they have got a 'new' (?) product of 'whole nut' peanut butter (smooth or crunchy) at £1.09 for 340g. I had earlier bought a jar of the wh0le 3arth stuff from b'nm for £2 (used to be £1.80 :(), so I figured I would buy a jar to compare. The mrL jar actually looks very similar in colour to the more expensive stuff.......... we shall see.

We dived into a couple of chazzer warehouses. Spotted some very nice things - although the prices in the one have gone very high - and they wonder why they have to discount half their stock....... But unfortunately none of the 'nice' stuff was anything that we actually needed. So we weren't tempted.

We are living on the edge, and I got no more loo roll on my travels......

Right, BG has gone down for a snooze. I expect the decorator (DH ;)) could do with a cuppa tea.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £3,005/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (May) -  £1/£15  (Camping TTD - £75/90)

Grocery spend May £187.95/215
    Non-food household spend May £24.01/30
    Bulk Fund May 0/£15

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Our Sainz does dried milk - in a plastic packet for £1.65. They also do a tub for £2.70 (I think - I don't let my gaze linger on that price!)
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Our Sainz does dried milk - in a plastic packet for £1.65. They also do a tub for £2.70 (I think - I don't let my gaze linger on that price!)

Ah, thanks love - that is good to know. Thank you. Your post has now prompted me to look up on mesupermercado - technically, they say that milk powder is available in the all of the 'big 4', so I'll keep a beadier eye out, knowing that mrS possibly has some if I get stuck (mrS is the furthest away supermercado for me to easily access, but I can build in a trip if needs be).

Ta for your help, and thanks for dropping in. V mucho appreciated :D

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• starnac
    starnac Posts: 5,917 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In light of your "loo roll" issues have you heard of Family Cloth? ;) or of course you could use newspaper :rotfl:

BG deserves spoiling now and again as do you so don't beat yourself up.

As for the cashback issue. I use cashback sites and do okay. I definitely don't make loads from it as I don't use it a lot but you will find that some companies will do anything to not pay out. You've just got to not let them bother you and move onto the next one.
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
    Overpayments £0/£200 not this month as need to put into savings instead
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    starnac wrote: »
    As for the cashback issue. I use cashback sites and do okay. I definitely don't make loads from it as I don't use it a lot but you will find that some companies will do anything to not pay out. You've just got to not let them bother you and move onto the next one.

starnac - i just don't want to even think what a family cloth is........... *shudders* :rotfl::rotfl:

Heartily agree - I think the insurance company are being total #####. They will however, not get my business ever again. If there is one thing to push my button, it is getting accused of something that I haven't done. If that's how a company get's out of paying £50 that they offered - after I had taken out the policy, then they have no integrity. I shall let my TCB account lapse - I've earnt less than £50 in goodness knows how many years of being signed up - I'm obviously not a savvy online shopper, as most of the time, whichever firm i'm using isn't signed up to the cashback scene anyway.

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• starnac
    starnac Posts: 5,917 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    starnac - i just don't want to even think what a family cloth is........... *shudders* :rotfl::rotfl:

Greying X

It's a step too far for me, that's what it is :eek:
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
    Overpayments £0/£200 not this month as need to put into savings instead
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,792 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I confess I think I'd have a go if I lived on my own :rotfl: I think it's the word 'family' that puts me off :eek: :rotfl:

(but then I confess I've been known to er, sew my own sanitary towels :o :rotfl: :rotfl: )

Sorry Greying, let's get back to tales of scrumptious food and dodgy insurance companies :D
  • Smurphington
    Smurphington Posts: 140 Forumite
    Options
    And here was me innocently dropping by for an update on fab greying eats and I appear to have wondered into an entirely unexpected conversation haha :rotfl:
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Evening :hello:

starnac wrote: »
    It's a step too far for me, that's what it is :eek:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: and me, and me!

I confess I think I'd have a go if I lived on my own :rotfl: I think it's the word 'family' that puts me off :eek: :rotfl:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Is that all??????:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

And here was me innocently dropping by for an update on fab greying eats and I appear to have wondered into an entirely unexpected conversation haha :rotfl:

Smurphington - that's the delight of MSE - Where d'ya wanna go today??????? :rotfl::rotfl:

Right, well. I managed to spend no more money since I was last on ;)

Tea ended up being out of the freezer sweet potato jalfrezi with dhal and rice. I made the dhal and the rice (well, er, cooked the rice, technically). BG ate a lump and a half of dhal :j

Cheap, cheerful, filled a gap and used up what we had. It was just about the right thing to eat too, as it's warm but not hot, cool but not cold.

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

a car to pootle about in

progress

a hard-working and dedicated DH :smileyhea

Ta for popping in and making me laugh :D Appreciated.

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,653 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Bah to the cashback.
    Never had any luck with it either.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure