The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Options

Comments

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,448 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Smurfington - i've just been looking on the GC thread on OS and I remembered that i'd set myself a challenge in...... turns out it was September 2014..... to get my grocery spends down and I'd done recipes for the month from Jack Monroe, Good & Cheap, From Scratch etc etc. And dearest Rosieben (now sadly, no longer with us), posted about G & C and FS on the GC thread - and I just updated it with the things that i had made from Leanne's books, so that folk could see if the recipes appealed to them or not.

The thread is still there, so I thought I would add the link for you - there's only 3 pages of posts - a quick read.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £3,005/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (May) -  £0/£15  (Camping TTD - £75/90)

Grocery spend May £73.49/215
    Non-food household spend May £16.96/30
    Bulk Fund May 0/£15

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    oooo GP - that was a lovely 3 page read! & illustrated as well - amazed that you made a meal plan a whole month in advance - WOW!
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Smurphington
    Smurphington Posts: 140 Forumite
    Options
    Smurfington - i've just been looking on the GC thread on OS and I remembered that i'd set myself a challenge in...... turns out it was September 2014..... to get my grocery spends down and I'd done recipes for the month from Jack Monroe, Good & Cheap, From Scratch etc etc. And dearest Rosieben (now sadly, no longer with us), posted about G & C and FS on the GC thread - and I just updated it with the things that i had made from Leanne's books, so that folk could see if the recipes appealed to them or not.

The thread is still there, so I thought I would add the link for you - there's only 3 pages of posts - a quick read.

Greying X

It was so kind of you to dig that out, thankyou . I had not even heard of Leanne Brown before . I will definitely be trying out the gumbo. I'm not usually great with meal plans as I always ending up ditching them midweek but I think a rough plan would probably help stop the money flying out of my purse which is what currently appears to be happening :)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,410 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy Monday Grayling.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

greenbee wrote: »
    Not me... but lost of Old Stylers did... I just happened to remember it because I was hanging out there when they were writing it!

Weezl74's (I've remembered her username - YAY!), threads were MY introduction to MSE, and karmacat & Pippilongstocking were my introduction to DFW :j I was reading long before I plucked up the courage to post - but I'm so glad I did :D

It was Weezl that developed the website (with help from MSE volunteers and friends) and it was born out of her threads on MSE that started out as a challenge to live on the USDA recommended diet, which I think informed the food stamp $ allocation (may not do that anymore), and then her 50p a day challenges - if you want to read all about it, her 3 threads (first 2 are linked in the 1st post), then the thread is HERE. Please note, these threads are from 2008, so the prices will possibly be well out of whack now - but I believe the recipes will still have great validity :D

Tea on Sunday night - despite the furnace like conditions - was cardboard box fish, oven chips and (steamed from frozen green beans).

Last night we had mediterranean style pasta with olives, red peppers, mozarella and herby dressing. Quick to prepare and another Greying family favourite.

Tea this evening has not been decided upon yet - I'll see how the weather pans out first.

We've a few bits and bobs to get today. I have some financials to move about for BG which should involve a quick trip to the bank, which I'm hoping will be back to it's normal pleasurable experience today :D

Can't think of owt else :money:to witter on about, so best vamoose.

Ta for popping in, and wishing us all well. Appreciated.

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,410 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Hope your bank trip today is better than your last :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    ...Tea on Sunday night - despite the furnace like conditions - was cardboard box fish, oven chips and (steamed from frozen green beans)...

GP - you are a very brave woman:D Turning the oven on in this heat! - We (I) remembered to put the slow cooker on Sunday morning - made some rice & we (OH) grilled some green veg on the stove-top pan to go with it. - We were still too hot!!!;):D
    ...Last night we had mediterranean style pasta with olives, red peppers, mozarella and herby dressing. Quick to prepare and another Greying family favourite...

Sounds yummy - what kind of dressing did you make? Sounds like a beat the heat meal & I'm not ashamed to say we might steal that one out of your repertoire!
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Hope your bank trip today is better than your last :)

Definitely better, beanie :D The lass on the counter was soooooooo nice to BG - and BG repaid their niceness with plenty of smiles and 'fankoo's' :smileyhea All other customers were well behaved and caused us no issues ;)

rtandon27 wrote: »

Sounds yummy - what kind of dressing did you make? Sounds like a beat the heat meal & I'm not ashamed to say we might steal that one out of your repertoire!

It was a 'made up' dressing rtandon, but it was; EV olive oil, a splodge of balsamic, juice of half a lemon, minced garlic, oregano (dried), basil (dried), salt and pepper. HTH :D Had I thought to put red onions in the pasta salad, I would have cut them up, sprinkled a bit of salt on, and then marinted them in the vinegar or lemon juice to take the edge off them, and bring out the sweetness. But I didn't think ahead, and so didn't use them in my version.

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

Typical. I sleep like a baby through all the hot weather. The minute a marginally cooler night comes along, PING, in the wide awake club until past 2am........................

Forgive me if I fall as..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Anyhoo. Tea last night was salad bowl. Beetroot coleslaw from the R1ver C0ttage Babe & toddle book - used up the last half of red cabbage, 3 small mrAl S6 (from weeks ago) beetroot and a couple of small apples. The best marinated lentils, marinated tomatoes, slices of cucumber and a sprinkling of feta cheese.

Filled a gap and used up what I had.

Pizza for tea tonight, not sure what with at the mo.

Don't need to buy owt today.

Looks like it's going to be a warm un again.

Forgot to say, I got 6 avocados from HB yesterday for £1.49. I took a punt on them - they are produce of Peru, Hass avocados - but the last ones I've had from Peru (all from mrM) have been pants - and I've had to compost half of them ;)). These are marketed as 'nearly ripe' avocados. We shall see.

Did spend my time looking at Weezl's thread to while away the early hours. Wonderful to see some of the 'original' MSErs, some no longer with us :(, some just no longer posting......... And to marvel at the professional approach that Weezl - and co, took to the development of affordable meal plans. AND THE PRICES!!!! I know it was 10 years ago, but 22p for a bag of sultanas....... and something like 57p (???) for a bag of frozen tropical fruits (for smoothies or other uses....) We would live like kings if we had those prices today, as wages sure as hickey ain't gone up 4-fold.

Right, must vamoose. In search of some matchsticks to prop me eyelids open.

Ta for popping in. Appreciated.

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,830 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry you didn't sleep well last night GP. Hope you have a good day and catch up with the zzzz later.
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure