ATB'S Frugal Foray to Freedom

Options

Comments

• atypicalblonde
    Options
    Thank you all so much for popping on and saying hello, it's lovely to come online and know people are genuinely cheering me on :)FacelessNumber - nice to *see* you here, I've seen you on Flylady too which is where I spend a lot of time :)

In terms of updates I can report the following:

- Large-ish OP made at the weekend
    - I am back to regular daily Tilly Tidies after having been a bit lax with them of late
    - Meal plan done for the week and will be stuck to religiously.
    - DS has done so well and is totally out of nappies, hurrah :T
    - This is DD's last week of her first ever school term, and it's her nativity today :)
    - I remain hopeful we can achieve our challenge. It requires a lot of holding my nerve, because we basically need to throw all we have at the mortgage to achieve it which means nothing at all in reserve. However, I have done this before to achieve some of my hair-brained challenges, so we can sure as heck do it again!

Unpaid invoice rumbles on. We have taken them to court using the Money Claim Online system, and await to hear if they will file a defence. It will be laughable if they do, as we have emails from them admitting they owe the money but aren't "ready" to pay it yet :rotfl:

Right, I had better get cracking, take care all xx
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    Lovely day so far.

Volunteering this morning, then on to DS pre-school Christmas concert. We then pottered to the library where I picked up two books to read. Home now, with DS watching a film. Dinner is bubbling away in the slow cooker as I type, smells wonderful.

I had an interesting conversation with a friend at the weekend. She commented that I always seem to be "on a mission" with everything I do, and asked how on earth I will maintain my energy levels until a retire at 70. I refrained from telling her I have plans to retire 20 years prior to that, hence why I always seem to be "on a mission" at the moment, because I am working ultra hard now so I don't have to then! I just laughed it off :rotfl:

Anyone else ever have to keep their plans to themselves for fear of being looked at like you have 3 heads?! x
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
  • hiddenshadow
    Options
    Anyone else ever have to keep their plans to themselves for fear of being looked at like you have 3 heads?! x

I just find people's eyes glaze over when I say we're putting 50% of our income to mortgage payments. (And heaven forbid I mention pension contributions...it's so much more accepted/common in the US than here!)

My mom was visiting us recently and she was very impressed by our mortgage payoff numbers. She's allergic to all things financial, so didn't ask for details, but at least she didn't act like I was crazy (or ask the baffling question "what's your secret?").
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I just find people's eyes glaze over when I say we're putting 50% of our income to mortgage payments. (And heaven forbid I mention pension contributions...it's so much more accepted/common in the US than here!)
    As it says in my signature:
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    :D
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Jessy103
    Jessy103 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I have a close friend that understands what I'm doing and supports me but I have another one who looks at me like I'm mental, when she's the one that spent £300 on a new dress, £50 on new shoes and another £70 to have her hair and make up done for her 30th birthday last year! I didn't even spend £300 on my wedding dress! Lol! x
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40, Feb £588.11, Mar £497.32
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    Gallygirl - I often read your signature and it makes me :D. I sometimes think we could be doing more though, but at 31 I suppose we are already doing a lot more than most to be on our way to an easier life when we are older.

My brother and sister in law are 10 years older than me but have kids the same age as ours. Both in well paid jobs (I'd hazard a guess of a combined household income of well over £100k), yet they told me the other day that Christmas will all have to be 'on the credit card' this year. They are extending (again) their house which is already huge. Each to their own, but not a life I would fancy. She says, typing this in bed with a cuppa :D

Have lovely days all xx
  • hiddenshadow
    Options
    They are extending (again) their house which is already huge. Each to their own, but not a life I would fancy. She says, typing this in bed with a cuppa :D

My BIL/SIL upgraded house last year and then spent a load extending it further. No idea why, as their kids are in their teens and leaving home (1 already gone) so you hardly need to add a bedroom.

The other day I found out I have almost as much in my US pension as my mother, and I spent just 5 years working/contributing (not as much as I should have, but that's a 20-something for you) vs her 30 years. :eek:

Happy to be the weirdo compared to either of those scenarios. ;)
  • crunch_time
    Options
    Lovely day so far.

Volunteering this morning, then on to DS pre-school Christmas concert. We then pottered to the library where I picked up two books to read. Home now, with DS watching a film. Dinner is bubbling away in the slow cooker as I type, smells wonderful.

I had an interesting conversation with a friend at the weekend. She commented that I always seem to be "on a mission" with everything I do, and asked how on earth I will maintain my energy levels until a retire at 70. I refrained from telling her I have plans to retire 20 years prior to that, hence why I always seem to be "on a mission" at the moment, because I am working ultra hard now so I don't have to then! I just laughed it off :rotfl:

Yes! I was looked at strangely by my materialistic siblings for buying a house that wasn't any bigger than our previous one - just a different lay out that works for us with a young family - that suits our needs and that we cant fill with stuff. It means we have more money to spend on what we want (debt pay off and adventures at the moment.)

Crunch x
    19/8/19 vs now Current Total debt £14,188 Savings £2757
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
    House stuff and improvements £4460 Virgin 2 £2740
  • atypicalblonde
    atypicalblonde Posts: 3,057 Forumite
    edited 17 December 2016 at 8:43AM
    Options
    Good morning all

Such a lot going on, all lovely though :)

- unpaid invoice has been paid :T
    - we are £70 away from the next thousand bracket :T
    - DH super busy with work :T
    - speaking of DH, he has always been on board with the MF journey, but more in a 'letting me get on with it' way'. On Thursday night I think he had his :staradmin lightbulb moment. I explained the figures to him again, and he was giddy at the thought of paying it off as quickly as we can :T

Busy weekend but should be low spends. Have a great one all xx
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Great news on the invoice - and also on hubby's lightbulb moment :T.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback