PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS ways and Poor Health

Options

Comments

• Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks Polly for the very helpful response.:T

My dog is at the vets now having another test and we will find out the results when we pick him up tonight.

That is interesting that you got diagnosed with OA so young. I will make an appointment with my GP this month about it. I might PM about that you at some point if that is okay.x

I will definitely apply for PIP. There is some differing information on the internet. I was trying to find some information today and I did fill out a form from a benefits charity today (Turn2us) and it said I wasn't eligible for anything. I did apply for DLA years ago because of my mental health issues and I got help from a MIND organisation. I was rejected but the advisor said I should push for it, but I really couldn't be bothered with the hassle at that time.
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I have tried the Seated Tai Chi dvd and it's a good introduction to Tai Chi . There are only 6 lessons and warm up is included between each step . Steps are repeated to aid the memory .

I didn't learn anything new having attended courses over a number of years but it is helpful from the point of view of moving from standing to seated exercise .
    I now see there are various standing movements I can add safely to the seated ones which are within my limits .

Dr Paul Lam is on You Tube so for those who use You Tube there is a lot there . Many levels according to your capability .

Primrose I'm pleased to see you maintaining your health at the level you can safely manage .

In my case I do the physio exercises from some years back for fibro and arthritis . I try to do them each day but that depends on what is happening on the day .

DD has had numerous health problems and big flares . There are many ongoing appts to keep so real life has been pushing us both more than ever over the last few years . We can see the light at the end of the tunnel but it will take years to undo all the wrong treatment and resulting damage of the last 20 years .

We badly need some better weather and the time to venture outdoors for a slow walk or a change of scene . The last 2 years haven't made that possible but we live in hope this year may be different .

Wolfy only 6 days until you have the double delight of two new guests . I hope the weather improves . I'm looking forward to the clocks going forward this weekend , it makes such a difference .
    I was checking a date earlier in my diary and in the reminder column for the 12th April is Mr Wolfs appt 4pm , I wont forget the lavender vibes .

polly x
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    Just noticed your post Wednesday I'll try to remember the really good online advice source . I think I pointed Curly Top to it when she was considering applying . That's quite a while ago unless she has some idea when that was . Re PMs . I mentioned on another thread some time ago I need to empty my box . Glancing above it's 92% full so it should be ok .

I may take a while to respond as I'm determined to catch up on here today .
    I hope the tests go well and the news is positive .

polly x

• LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Talking of PMs - I've had to set my user controls to only accept them from MSE admin. A while back, I had a very unpleasant PM from another user, which very nearly sent me completely over the edge (for those who don't know, I struggle with what the GP terms "suicidal ideation") and I got to the stage where every time I saw a notification "you have a new private Message" I went into panic mode, lest it be another nasty diatribe. So I figure if I can't be sent them, it's one less source of stress.

And of course I am stressed out to the max today - fallout from having a visitor yesterday evening. :( I haven't even got dressed today, I'm currently lying on the sofa in my dressing gown with the netbook on a lap-tray (one of those with a bean-filled underneath bit). Thankfully I don't have to cook dins; I made a quiche yesterday, so we shall have the 2nd half of that; and there's the last of the cherry crumble for dessert.

I just hope you're all having a better day than I am.
    But don't worry, I'll be fine; I get this every flippin' time. *rolls eyes*
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    I've sent you a reply Wednesday it is now in the lap of the gods . My struggles with pms are well documented over on the fence !

Wolfy That is an appalling experience to have . I truly despair at so called humanity at times . How can someone behave in such a manner ? Very wise to stick to MSE admin only . I for one would never presume to PM you or other posters even in a positive way as I'm too well aware of unwanted and unexpected messages and the effects beyond the senders tiny brain . It's back to if you can't say something nice etc .

Meanwhile recline on the sofa in the style of Elizabeth Barrett Browning minus the serious illness of course . Wave a languid digit at Mr Wolfy when you need a drink etc . Top marks for todays dins already done in advance .
    polly x

• pollyanna_26
    Options
    Wednesday I remembered it was Doom and Gloom I was talking to re PIP advice threads . I tried searching for my posts on the threads and it brought up every post that comes from me or mentions me in replies :eek:

I've just searched Doom and Gloom and found one of the advice agencies I recommended was Benefits and work uk . it gives general advice but because D&G was in work it covered the employment issues too .

Disability Right uk is a good site also Mind as you have both physical and mental heath problems .

My thread search for D&G led me to page 24 of the thread post 463 . I know there was much discussion both before and after that page on applying for PIP so if you copy my search you will find a lot of info from posters from experience of the process and questions from those wondering whether to apply .

I posted about the importance of organising evidence , keeping paperwork etc in one place and other things to keep in mind .

You will need to understand the descriptors and how your conditions impact your daily life compared to those without poor health .

I know I still have posts to reply to from Itsme and others . I'm about to wash my hair rather later than intended . If I don't get back online tonight I'll post later on tomorrow . Will be out for an appt and things to do afterwards .

I'll say goodnight in case I don't post later .

Sleep tight all .

polly x

• Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks so much Polly.:T I will look through the forum for the benefits advice and and back to page 24.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm about to wash my hair rather later than intended .
    Urrgh mine desperately needs doing. :( Do you find washing it wipes you out? It does me, even with Mr Wolf's help.:(

Anyways, I had to pop into Sp£csavers yesterday as one of my hearing aids wasn't working right (they managed to sort it, hurray); while I was waiting I was looking at spec frames, as I'll need new specs as soon as I can afford them, and in the mirror noticed my badger stripe is now over 2" wide - probably nearer 3". :eek: So Mr Wolf is going to help me colour it, rather than just wash it - hopefully some time over the weekend, but certainly before Wednesday when Buddy and Indi descend on us.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    Wolfy Washing my hair flattens me . I dread it which is probably why I need to wash my hair is mentioned a lot in my posts .

I just don't get on with washing it under the shower as it seems to take forever to rinse . I do the stupid bend over the edge of the bath thing which really kicks off back and shoulder pain .

I'm lucky my is neither greasy or dry and I've recently copied dd and used a dry shampoo between each wash which has halved the number of proper washes . It took me a while to find one that didn't make my scalp itch . DD uses Batiste spray but doesn't agree with me . Lee Stafford is the one which doesn't cause me problems .

On the subject of sprays have you ever considered one of those that cover your roots ? I only briefly flirted with hair dye years ago but I know a number of people who use various cover ups to cut down on the whole dye faff .

I still need to book an eye test . I only need glasses for reading but I've noticed I'm squinting at the screen so it seems I need stronger lenses .

I will catch up on replies later . The last two days have proved busy . DDs counselling sessions are making a massive difference and there's a bit of a sparkle in her eye . She also has a parrot living in her head :eek: I'll explain that later .

On the negative side a letter arrived from the local MH unit where she was diagnosed last month .
    We already knew from the Psych no therapy above CBT was available . Her smashing counsellor is combining the cbt with some dbt ( that's where the parrot comes in ! )

This letter gives an appt date in a weeks . Someone from CMHT will come to her home and assess her needs OT , daily living , coping wise etc .

I'm sure you'll see what's wrong there Wolfy . A tiny number of trusted people are allowed in her safe place if she's up to it . The worst pip experience for her was a stranger coming here to do the face to face assessment . Although she got a lovely nurse it still shook her.

We've talked this new appt through and the plan is I will phone on Monday and ask to speak to the person who signed the letter . We need to know what is on the table . Is it needed or useful etc .
    That place failed her for 20 years so I doubt they can offer anything now , She's making progress and she has real life support and the aids to help mobility wise so we'll see .

I will make it clear she can attend the appt at the centre but it is not going to happen in her safe place .

Back later
    polly x

• pollyanna_26
    Options
    Itisme I'm sorry it's taken me so long to respond to your post . I've had a head full of stuff and needed to concentrate to read it properly .

First of all you are right to be proud of any positive action however small you may feel they are . It means you are moving forward one step at a time .

The methods used by you to get through the day music, writing , colouring etc are used by my daughter and others here myself included to lose ourselves for a while and quiet the mind . I admit dd the owner of nearly every book in the world hasn't thought of decluttering though .
    Don't imagine she'll be very keen on the idea .

When you feel you're losing track simply writing one thing to do a day will help you feel you have achieved a goal .

I would think of talking to your GP about how you feel . Sometimes just speaking of the things you've spoken of here can help . You wont suddenly be fast tracked into various treatments . Maybe mild meds if you aren't already on them or a change if you are can help .

The damage of the past is one you may feel you want to seek help for in the future . For now I would think talking openly to you GP would be a good starting point .

As for the alcohol you may be using that as a coping tool . It's one of many ways to try to blur the edges and get a little respite from day to day life . It isn't effective but that's one to slowly work on when you have some structure and routine set up .

We're here to listen or to share good things or general wittering , my personal talent . You may fade away as I witter on .

pollyx

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport