PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS ways and Poor Health

Options

Comments

• Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Tink_04 wrote: »

Wednesday - I!!!8217;m sure we have discussed PIP before you should definitely apply - I had a 2 year battle but it!!!8217;s worth it in the end!

Oh yes, I thought a couple of people on here said that they had a nightmare with applying. :(
  • Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I!!!8217;m sure you can get support when you are applying from groups and CAB if you struggle. DH did mine and it was an exhausting process, I quit once as they made me feel like I was scrounging but that is not the case at all! Stand your ground they told me I looked too healthy and well dressed? What that has to do with having a diagnosed disability is beyond me! X
    Living the simple life
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I reckon Wolfy and I are in the norty corner when it comes to pacing :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    And that's the truth!! :D
    I was out in the cold, cold snow - literally - at 07:00 this morning, for Lizzie's early morning walk. So that's all today's spoons gone. She's worth it though; she's a little ray of sunshine, and wonderful company.
    She's going home tomorrow, I shall really miss her.

We have a 10-day break, then we have two Cavapoos coming to stay on March 28th; they are new guests, I've met them once, when they came for their Meet'n'Greet visit. Buddy is 4 years old, and very confident and outgoing, and the larger chap, Indi, is just 9 months old and into everything, as puppies do; so I reckon they'll keep us on our toes.

I've also had to empty a freezer drawer for them, as they are on the BARF diet (Biologically Appropriate Raw Food) so freezer space is required to store their food.

Stay safe and warm, everyone; don't venture out over the weekend if you don't need to. Mr Wolf tells me this latest cold snap is supposed to finish about Monday.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • ArthriticOldThing
    ArthriticOldThing Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 March 2018 at 4:41PM
    Options
    Wednesday, I must be one of the lucky ones we rarely hear about as was awarded PIP (Standard Daily Care) at first time of asking. Had the review last year and was very apprehensive but no bother, was awarded the standard rate for daily care and mobility this time round.
    I found both assessors very professional and helpful, and although I did not agree with some of the remarks made at last year's F2F none of it was derogatory. The whole process for me took less than 3 months.
    Do get some help to complete the form. I used AGE UK both times (can't hold a pen long enough to fill in a form) and they were very helpful. The only problem was that they are so busy I couldn't get an appointment before the due date to return the form though I found DWP no bother when I rang and asked for an extension.
    So do have a go and don't be put off by all the terrible experiences some unfortunate people have had.
    Well at least we have had no snow yet Tink, although it's a cold raw wind out there. I hope you've been as lucky.
    Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, Do without.
  • Prinzessilein
    Prinzessilein Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi folks!

Freezing cold here today...we had snow again this morning... nothing that settled but the wind was causing some real flurries!...Temperature has dropped below freeing, so I have the heating on and the curtains closed!

Energy levels have been really low recently...and my skin has also been playing up (not helped by the GP secretary calling me and telling me that funding means they are changing some of my creams! It has taken long enough to find some that suit and now they want to swap them for something cheaper....well, I have a selection to try, we shall see how I get on!)

Lack of energy has meant I have been spending more time 'chained to the chair'...not too bad as it is a very comfy chair! (Some years ago I decided that as I spend so much tome in my chair I was going to have a good one...with the optional-extra' of a second back cushion...and wide enough so I can curl up in it if I want!).....I have taken up a new interest...Bible Journaling...which I find very absorbing (and spiritually very useful for me!)

Wednesday...you go for the PiP!...I went through the process last year. No, it was not a walk-in-the-park...but I got through it with a better award than I had on DLA...and the money is really useful when it comes to helping me achieve something that approaches normality!

(I am waiting to see if my PiP award will be changed as a result of the government rethink....all awards from the time I applied are supposedly going to be looked at again...by rights I should get the Enhanced for Mobility on mental health grounds...but we shall see)
  • Tink_04
    Options
    Well the snow is here and it!!!8217;s FREEZING!

LW I love hearing about you visitors!

Had a good day yesterday, took DD with me to the shops - went to Ald* as had not been in ages (ours was getting a refurb) and I honestly forgot how cheap it was! I had £50 to spend and I was panicking as had loads on the trolly and thought we had totally blown the budget and it!!!8217;s was £32 ... must try and do the shopping there more often!

Had both kids out doing all the activities (foitball & classes) home I time to have an indoor picnic (hotdogs in buns and chips on a picnic blanket) and watched a movie together. Was a lovely night!

Got some cooking to do today for the freezer, just going to make a spag Bol and a pasta sauce as I have the stuff in already. Have some new potatoes thy need using up so might cook them but not sure what to do with them? Sometimes we slice and fry them with an egg but I have loads! Will see how I feel when I get started.

Looking for biscuit, flap jack, cake recipes I can make to fill the snack cupboard for the kids every so often as I want healthier options and cheaper. I!!!8217;m a rubbish baker but may try some simple stuff.

Hope everyone is staying home and warm today!

Tink
    Living the simple life
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    Wednesday, I must be one of the lucky ones we rarely hear about as was awarded PIP (Standard Daily Care) at first time of asking. Had the review last year and was very apprehensive but no bother, was awarded the standard rate for daily care and mobility this time round.
    I found both assessors very professional and helpful, and although I did not agree with some of the remarks made at last year's F2F none of it was derogatory. The whole process for me took less than 3 months.
    Do get some help to complete the form. I used AGE UK both times (can't hold a pen long enough to fill in a form) and they were very helpful. The only problem was that they are so busy I couldn't get an appointment before the due date to return the form though I found DWP no bother when I rang and asked for an extension.
    So do have a go and don't be put off by all the terrible experiences some unfortunate people have had.
    Wednesday...you go for the PiP!...I went through the process last year. No, it was not a walk-in-the-park...but I got through it with a better award than I had on DLA...and the money is really useful when it comes to helping me achieve something that approaches normality!

It's strange that some people seem to be "lucky" (not that you should be lucky to get money that you are entitled to!) and get it quite quickly and other people don't. It's very unfair!

I'm not sure who to ask for help with the form. I might look on the fibro forums. I did join some last year, but I can't remember my passwords or anything!
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Wednesday a lot of sites have a "forgot my password" button you can click, then they send you an email and you can reset it.
    Good luck with the PIP; I was unlucky and got a Grade 1 Female Dog for my F2F, but hopefully you'll sail it. ;)
    Mr Wolf filled out my form for me; like AOT I can't hold a pen long enough to do it myself - plus my writing these days is illegible - even to me! :eek: I couldn't have gone to CAB or anywhere like that as I have major issues dealing with strangers (part of my MH stuff, I guess).

Prinzess good to "see" you. Boo to them changing your creams just when you've found something that works for you.
    What is Bible Journalling, if I may ask? :o

Tink do have a go at making flapjacks; you say you're not good at baking, but you might just surprise yourself. *Gets plate out of cupboard ready for sample to test*. :D

We have nasty cold white stuff on the ground. Luckily it was only a dusting n the pavements, not enough to prevent use of the mobility buggy, so I was still able to do Lizzie's early morning walk. Mr Wolf would willingly have taken her, but I'd be cross, as I like doing dog walks myself, and don't like having to ask him to do it. It's fine if he wants to come along; and if we have two staying, we take a dog apiece, but if I can't go due to snow, I feel left out. Silly, isn't it?
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Tink_04
    Options
    Well do ok so far today!
    Chopped sweet potatoes and put in the freezer - had 3 bags so done well! Chopped normal potatoes for chips tomorrow, just left them in a pan of water as I can never get away freezing them? Made egg muffins for breakfast and baits for work (should last till Wednesday) just have the spag Bol to make later and I!!!8217;m done!!

The wind is picking up again and it looks like another cold day tomorrow. Just the kids to bath then school books to be read before bed.

Really pleased with today as I wasn!!!8217;t sure I!!!8217;d manage as much as I have done.

Tink
    Living the simple life
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I have noticed that I have a few bumps on my finger joints near to my nail and also on the middle joint of my fingers. I noticed it a few weeks ago, but hoped that they were just cysts. I thought they tested me for Osteoarthritis last year when I first went to be diagnosed. I thought maybe it is the very cold weather making it worse.

Looking on the NHS website the symptoms of OA seem very similar to fibro. I do have problems with my knees too but I thought that because I had surgery on one of them.

You can get OA and fibromyalgia together, I think. I'm only 42, though. I would have thought that was quite young to get OA.

I was trying to ignore it hoping it wouldn't mean anything. I probably have to make an appointment with my GP again.
    LameWolf wrote: »
    Wednesday a lot of sites have a "forgot my password" button you can click, then they send you an email and you can reset it.
    Good luck with the PIP; I was unlucky and got a Grade 1 Female Dog for my F2F, but hopefully you'll sail it. ;)

I hope so too!:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport