Couch to 5K support thread.

Options

Comments

• indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    greent wrote: »
    Have been putting off C25K for ages - no real reasons, just excuses - so today I did W1, r1 - and it killed me! :D It's going to be a loooong journey for me, but one I want to complete :)

But you have done W1R1 and you are going back for more (or you wouldn't have posted on here) so well done on your first steps :T:T
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • xbrenx
    xbrenx Posts: 962 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done Fletch.
    Finding the optimum time to run and then being able to run at that time is difficult.
    Sometimes runs are just harder for no particular reason.

Welcome greent and well done for taking the first step(s).
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    indesisiv wrote: »
    But you have done W1R1 and you are going back for more (or you wouldn't have posted on here) so well done on your first steps :T:T
    xbrenx wrote: »
    Welcome greent and well done for taking the first step(s).

Thank you, both - W1R2 done today :D - but muscle in one thigh is very sore this morning and I limped the last 2 x 1 min runs :(
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • xbrenx
    xbrenx Posts: 962 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm a recent convert to these, my hubby and son both use them a lot but I resisted for ages because it hurt! hahaha. Gentle massaging helps, or it seems to :)
  • indesisiv
    Options
    xbrenx wrote: »
    I'm a recent convert to these, my hubby and son both use them a lot but I resisted for ages because it hurt! hahaha. Gentle massaging helps, or it seems to :)

Everyone I know uses a foam roller post run. They do seem to help, although its not the most relaxing thing using them.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I've a foam roller, which I've used. I used to be a massage therapist, so totally get that - and can feel the bunching of the muscle - pretty sure it's the rectus femoris. Just going to go for an amble today to keep it moving, but nothing strenuous.

I quite like the look of the stick roller from an ease of use pov - if I can find one that's not quite so evil looking! :D:D
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've found streching before hand really helps. I feel silly doing it (always did at school before P.E too lol) but I spent 3 days in pain with my leg after I pushed myself too much and ever since I started doing the streches I've been fine.

I've given up with the couch to 5k because it doesn't work for me, I've not given up running itself but I'm just no longer following the app. Bought an excerise bike and I'm alternativing between doing that, running and Zumba....the weight is just not shifting though but I do feel more fitter then before. I'm just going to keep plodding on for now...
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • indesisiv
    Options
    Kayalana99 wrote: »
    I've found streching before hand really helps. I feel silly doing it (always did at school before P.E too lol) but I spent 3 days in pain with my leg after I pushed myself too much and ever since I started doing the streches I've been fine.

This is well worth a read on stretching. http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/fitness/Pages/Do-I-need-to-stretch-before-or-after-a-run-or-sports-and-exercise.aspx
    We generally just do a dynamic series of light jogs and "range of motion" exercises rather than stretching. Added bonus is that the exercises help with running form.
  • Fletchasketch
    Options
    Hey gang, how's it going? Just did my last run of week 6 in the sunshine. 25 whole minutes! Dead slow, but it's great being able to see the progress again.
    May'18 DEBT FREE!

£6025 PB's: £1427 Nutmeg Pot: £51'174 Company Shares £512.09 InvestEngine £8.21 Freetrade £569.46 Stake
    £2457.92 TCB.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hello all, I was attracted to this thread by the mention of C25K, which I've been doing for a couple of weeks. Until the day I started it I was convinced I am Not A Runner. Now I try to slip those magic words 'When I went for a run earlier' into conversation :D.

Are you still running? Did anyone celebrate 'graduation' with a park run? I don't see myself as Park Run capable even with all the enjoyment and endorphins I've gained from C25K so far. My two grown up sons go on park runs and they run like hares. My daughter runs too: her idea of a nice morning is half a marathon (followed by gym in the evening). For some reason I run alone - but it would be nice to chat to others at a similar level to myself.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family