Couch to 5K support thread.

Options

Comments

• Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Woot Woot! Guess who has started the three-minute runs and actually wasn't overstretched! :D
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Did W3 R2 today - really wanting to push on with this! And the 3 minute runs are a little easier today than they were yesterday, so I'm motivated to run again tomorrow. Dear me, I shall have to plan non-running days at this rate! :D

OhJimmyJimmy have you had your day 1 yet? I won't suggest you run instead of commuting - might be a bit too much to start with. :D

xbrenx, did I say thank you for the encouragement over the parkruns? It's helpful to know you can walk the distance if that's your thing. (Must admit I had a mental picture of someone taking a zimmer frame along - probably me - but then why not? Movement is movement is better than the couch!)

I'm not up to a park run yet but who knows, the day may come. I always need challenges to keep me interested.

• indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 4 April 2017 at 2:47PM
    Options
    I'm sure it's do-able - I will make you envious when I post about running in the spring sunshine, and you will make me envious every time it rains, the temperature goes too high or too low, it's windy or you go on to use some gym equipment that comes with the package!

Let us know how today went. :)

I like the different weathers. It gives you something different and I don't think there is anything better than coming in from a run in the snow and ice feeling such satisfaction that you went out there and did it. I actually find it a lot harder running in the sunshine as I overheat a lot! Even with just a running vest and shorts on.
    Woot Woot! Guess who has started the three-minute runs and actually wasn't overstretched! :D
    Did W3 R2 today - really wanting to push on with this! And the 3 minute runs are a little easier today than they were yesterday, so I'm motivated to run again tomorrow. Dear me, I shall have to plan non-running days at this rate! :D

Just make sure that you don't overdo it to start with, the whole point of the C25K is to give the body time to adjust. Just listen to your body.
    I'm not up to a park run yet but who knows, the day may come. I always need challenges to keep me interested.

I've just looked at the results from our parkrun at the weekend, and the slowest person took over 50 mins. Which is walking pace give or take.
    I am run director for our local parkrun in a week or so and would fully support and encourage anyone who is attempting to do it no matter how long it takes them.
    At ours as long as people keep to the left to let the faster runners go past them without causing problems then its all good :) We normally start lapping people after about 1.5miles. (it's 3 x ~1 mile loops)
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    indesisiv wrote: »
    I like the different weathers. It gives you something different and I don't think there is anything better than coming in from a run in the snow and ice feeling such satisfaction that you went out there and did it. I actually find it a lot harder running in the sunshine as I overheat a lot! Even with just a running vest and shorts on.

DD tells me she likes running in the rain. Lovely and cooling.
    indesisiv wrote: »
    Just make sure that you don't overdo it to start with, the whole point of the C25K is to give the body time to adjust. Just listen to your body.

Good point - will keep an eye on myself thanks.

• CattyCatX
    CattyCatX Posts: 76 Forumite
    Options
    I'm hoping to start W1R1 tomorrow... Scared!:o I started the C25K once before about 6 years ago and got about 3/4 of the way through but was on a treadmill and then got hopelessly demoralised/gave up when I tried running outside - even though it was the same walk/run combination I had been doing on the treadmill I wasn't able to pace myself and got a stitch and red face after about 30 seconds! Horrible flashbacks to school sports sessions:(

Anyway, am going to start again (outside from the first run!!) and really try to stick with it this time... I downloaded Sarah Millican on the NHS App, am hoping she will help with motivation :)
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    CattyCatX wrote: »
    I'm hoping to start W1R1 tomorrow... Scared!:o I started the C25K once before about 6 years ago and got about 3/4 of the way through but was on a treadmill and then got hopelessly demoralised/gave up when I tried running outside - even though it was the same walk/run combination I had been doing on the treadmill I wasn't able to pace myself and got a stitch and red face after about 30 seconds! Horrible flashbacks to school sports sessions:(

Hi Catty, just wanted to wish you a good run! I would imagine it's hard to change the conditions in which you run: I only run out of doors and it's different every day. I have different routes so I start each stage on a nice flat one and try to do an incline at some point as well - but when it's windy it's harder work so I just have to remember it's building my strength and fitness, which it certainly is.

The only tip I have, for what it's worth, is not to push yourself further, faster or longer than the app says. If necessary, repeat a run or several till you feel it's not challenging you as much. It's not a race, it's been worked out so that if we don't overface ourselves, we will succeed.

I've just completed week 3 and week 4 is going to be more challenging, but I'm going to give it a try, and if it's too much, (there's five minute run :eek:) then I'll run four minutes till I'm ready for five.

It's not school, you're in charge and you'll be rightly proud of every run you do, :)

• AlecEiffel
    AlecEiffel Posts: 874 Forumite
    Options
    Just done last run of week 7 (25 mins running, no breaks). Mainly run outside and I do 3.5km in the 25 min run part which one run on the treadmill backed up. I'm realising that I won't be doing 5km in the 30 min runs of week 9 but as I couldn't run more than a few minutes a couple of months ago I'm not too upset.
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    AlecEiffel wrote: »
    Just done last run of week 7 (25 mins running, no breaks). Mainly run outside and I do 3.5km in the 25 min run part which one run on the treadmill backed up. I'm realising that I won't be doing 5km in the 30 min runs of week 9 but as I couldn't run more than a few minutes a couple of months ago I'm not too upset.

Very well done! It's encouraging to see people ahead of me and still progressing, it gives me hope that I will too. I haven't dared look too far ahead to see what's in store but when I look at the progress I've made so far, I can see I will be stronger and more able if I just keep doing the next step.

• greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Hello again - I started C25k last month - got to W2 and after then came down with a chest infection which is still leaving me wheezy when up and down stairs, so have stayed away from it for the mo. OH is just buying a treadmill so I'm looking between that and the local canal path to restart it again when I can walk at pace without wheezing (also not helped outside at the mo by suffering from tree pollen hayfever):) Never thought I'd say it, but I'm missing exercise (was also doing Zumba 3-4x/ week and 1 or 2 HIITs). :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • AlecEiffel
    AlecEiffel Posts: 874 Forumite
    edited 8 April 2017 at 7:16PM
    Options
    Very well done! It's encouraging to see people ahead of me and still progressing, it gives me hope that I will too. I haven't dared look too far ahead to see what's in store but when I look at the progress I've made so far, I can see I will be stronger and more able if I just keep doing the next step.

Cheers! Some days are more difficult than others (sometimes for no reason really) but I just trust the plan and it's working that's for sure. I run the same route each time and turn around at the halfway point. There's a landmark that kept getting closer and on the 25 min run I managed to get to it at the halfway point! Small wins but a good way to see actual progress too! Well done on your progress so far too!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure