Couch to 5K support thread.

Options

Comments

• indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    WantToBeSE wrote: »

iammumtoone- good idea about seeing if i can make note of the 2.5K mark..does anyone know how i can do this? ........

I might drive it tomorrow, i wont have time to walk it because i am out for the day.

Link these 2 bits above together ... basically look at the trip on your car at the beginning, then take note of where you are after 1.55 miles, this is your 2.5k point.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    Day 2 of week 6 done and man, was it tough tonight! Driving rain, but so pleased I got through it. Starting to get really dark in the evenings so pleased I'd got the flouro top.

Kudos to everyone who made it out in the rain today, you're all superstars.

Well done I missed the rain as went out early afternoon. I haven't had to run it in yet.

I think I need to look at florescent tops as when working all day I will need to find a childsitter and go in the evenings. Do you stick to running near the roads at night?
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I am not a technical person but I believe that phones take the GPS signal via the phone itself not mobile data. They certainly used to as in the days when I used to run I didn't have mobile data and Edmondo tracked fine then.

I will test it tomorrow for you, I will turn off mobile data and see if Edmondo works when I go on the school run.

Edit: just for you (and myself I was curious) I have just tested it been for a walk down the street, turned off mobile data, it still tracked then realised it was still locating my house wii fi :rotfl: turned this off as well and it warned me that without it, its not so accurate BUT it still worked and tracked. If Endomondo works likes this I suspect they all do.

Awww, how sweet of you ...thanks! :rotfl:
    I am thinking that i need to get an armband or something to put my phone in when i run. I'll download Edmondo then, so i can track what I'm doing :)
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Day 2 of week 6 done and man, was it tough tonight! Driving rain, but so pleased I got through it. Starting to get really dark in the evenings so pleased I'd got the flouro top.

Kudos to everyone who made it out in the rain today, you're all superstars.

Well done Fletch! I am yet to run in dry weather LOL. But driving rain is a bit different to the drizzle I've encountered. Well done for getting through it :)

indesisiv wrote: »
    Link these 2 bits above together ... basically look at the trip on your car at the beginning, then take note of where you are after 1.55 miles, this is your 2.5k point.

Why didnt i think of that? Haha, thanks Indesisive :)

I'm thinking of investing in a cheap sports watch, any recommendations?
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options

Personally I would be getting something off ebay.
    I still have my old garmin at home that works which I picked up for £30.
    Personally I would go for a garmin or a suunto. (But that is a personal choice)
    I'm not sure that I could actually recommend a specific watch.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • iammumtoone
    Options

Do you mean a GPS watch? I don't think cheap and those go in the same sentence :rotfl:

I was thinking of treating myself to one after I have completed the 9 weeks, I haven't looked at any yet, I will justify it by getting fit without having to pay a gym membership. I could get a watch for 2-3 months gym membership cost, although I like indesisiv's suggestion of ebay I will look on there first once I have completed the c25k.

To those that use MFP is it any good? I am not going on a diet, I would fail, I like my food and treats too much :o I am hoping to lose some weight by exercise alone. However having to input everything I eat into an app might make me more aware so in theory lead to eating less even thought I don't intend to diet iyswim. Could I use it this way or will it keep telling me off if I consume too many calories :o, is there a way I could put my own target calories in?
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,666 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    MFP sets your target calories based on your weight and goals. I guess you could fiddle with those to get the value you are after.

I use it to track what I eat during the week as I am on the PC anyway so it takes little effort. Some things are an eye opener - doesn't mean I won't have them anyway but at least then it is an educated decision.

I think it is a great free tool - and I have Endomondo set to feed directly in so if I record my exercise then it populates MFP for me.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • i.love.baking
    Options
    Completed week 3 day 2 this morning and definitely felt like I could have done more running and I don't feel tired or achy at all, so might push myself and miss out day 3 of week 3 and move onto week 4.... :O

fletchasketch- Well done on completing it in the rain! It's always been sunny for me so far, but probably need to get used to running in the rain as I live in the North West, it's ALWAYS raining! I had a lovely sunrise this morning, but it was the first time it was cold.

iammumtoone yep, same. Who bothers to shave legs if no one is going to see it! haha! extra warmth for the winter! I can see a fairly well without my glasses or contacts, but obviously I can't go swimming with contacts.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Options
    I am not a technical person but I believe that phones take the GPS signal via the phone itself not mobile data.
    Edit: just for you (and myself I was curious) I have just tested it been for a walk down the street, turned off mobile data, it still tracked then realised it was still locating my house wii fi :rotfl: turned this off as well and it warned me that without it, its not so accurate BUT it still worked and tracked

It triangulates between cell masts to give you a very basic location.
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    It triangulates between cell masts to give you a very basic location.

The GPS part? so how does using the mobile data as well make it more accurate?

I take it a GPS watch would be the most accurate?

Not that it matters to me a rough estimate is fine for my purposes, just interested, think I already admitted above to being a geek :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure