Couch to 5K support thread.

Options

Comments

• iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 19 September 2016 at 2:40PM
    Options
    I did it wk 2 day 1

I really didn't feel like going out, work was carp and I'd just had enough but I came on here and saw wanttobese had been so that encouraged me (thanks)

It was ok better than I expected, it think the longer walking definitely helped. Plus the weather its a perfect day for running here.

I stretched afterwards as its a good idea to get into the habit now.

Looking forward to Wednesday think I might push myself a bit harder, I will still follow the run/walk instructions but try to go a bit faster (especially on walking bits) to cover more distance.

EDIT: i feel a bit guilty as no inclines here to sympathise with you all, I would say I need to find some to experience what you are going through but that would involve a long drive!
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    EDIT: i feel a bit guilty as no inclines here to sympathise with you all, I would say I need to find some to experience what you are going through but that would involve a long drive!

You'd be surprised at just how shallow a hill needs to be for it to really start taking its toll on your running. You don't need a big mountain to feel its effects. I did a run on sunday and didn't even realise I was running up hill, thought I was just having a bad stage of my run. Only when I looked on Strava afterwards did I realise that it was just a long gradual pull up for a couple of miles.

Well done all in getting out and doing your next days :) :T
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I did it wk 2 day 1

I really didn't feel like going out, work was carp and I'd just had enough but I came on here and saw wanttobese had been so that encouraged me (thanks)

It was ok better than I expected, it think the longer walking definitely helped. Plus the weather its a perfect day for running here.

I stretched afterwards as its a good idea to get into the habit now.

Looking forward to Wednesday think I might push myself a bit harder, I will still follow the run/walk instructions but try to go a bit faster (especially on walking bits) to cover more distance.

Well done! I wasn't really in the mood for it this morning either to be honest. I heard someone once say that you shouldn't think about it, you should just do it. So that's kind of what i do. i don't give myself time or chance to say i don't want to do it, i just get my clothes and shoes on and go.
    Doesn't stop me from muttering obscenities at myself though :rotfl:
    indesisiv wrote: »
    You'd be surprised at just how shallow a hill needs to be for it to really start taking its toll on your running. You don't need a big mountain to feel its effects. I did a run on sunday and didn't even realise I was running up hill, thought I was just having a bad stage of my run. Only when I looked on Strava afterwards did I realise that it was just a long gradual pull up for a couple of miles.

Well done all in getting out and doing your next days :) :T

Yes the hill was only a slight one, not really bad, but wow i really felt it! So pleased it finished it though!

Is anyone else experiencing the same as me today? I literally dont feel like i have run at all. On the other days i have done (week 1, d1-d3) i have really felt it in my legs the rest of the day. But today i don't feel anything? :question::huh:
    Not sure if it had something to do with the stretches i did afterwards? They were only like 1 min each leg, calf stretches, so can't imagine they'd make that much difference?

I have seen on Google maps a lovely running route that I'd like to try out. What do you all think about running on single track roads, with no pavements, alone? Does safety concern you?
    To be honest, i normally don't think about safety, as we live in a reasonably safe area...i think maybe it's the no pavement that worries me....what do you all think?

I might walk the route tomorrow and see what i think. I do think it's more than 5K...well, i definitely know it is, but when i run it, i would just do a 10 min walk warm up and cool down, then walk the rest. What do you think, can i get some opinions please?
  • iammumtoone
    edited 19 September 2016 at 8:09PM
    Options
    WantToBeSE wrote: »

Is anyone else experiencing the same as me today? I literally dont feel like i have run at all. On the other days i have done (week 1, d1-d3) i have really felt it in my legs the rest of the day. But today i don't feel anything? :question::huh:
    Not sure if it had something to do with the stretches i did afterwards? They were only like 1 min each leg, calf stretches, so can't imagine they'd make that much difference?

I feel fine today as well, maybe a combination of the fact there was more walking (recovery times), stretches and the fact that week one must have made a slight difference to fitness levels
    I have seen on Google maps a lovely running route that I'd like to try out. What do you all think about running on single track roads, with no pavements, alone? Does safety concern you?
    To be honest, i normally don't think about safety, as we live in a reasonably safe area...i think maybe it's the no pavement that worries me....what do you all think?

I might walk the route tomorrow and see what i think. I do think it's more than 5K...well, i definitely know it is, but when i run it, i would just do a 10 min walk warm up and cool down, then walk the rest. What do you think, can i get some opinions please?

I think its a good idea to walk it first, or at least drive the route, do you have means to measure it? you could take a note of the 2.5K mark so when you are running you can choose at that point to turn back so no extra mileage or carry on if you feel you can walk the extra.

on whether to run on the road that really depends on the amount of traffic, I wouldn't attempt it here. Do you have a florescent jacket you can wear? is there somewhere you can get off the road if a car approaches? you need to be aware as well that you will have headphones in, in those circumstances probably better to run without them,.

Safety wise it wouldn't worry me in the daylight but its not something I would consider for night.
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options

Personally my 5k route takes me down an unlit country road with no footpaths. But then again I am a bloke.
    In the dark I usually wear something reflective but in the daylight just wear something bright.
    If you are running on your own make sure you don't run with headphones in so that you can hear the cars.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks guys. It wont be at night, it'll be about 10am ish, so nice and light by then.

Yes, I'll definitely not wear earphones down that little section. It's only about a 15 min section of the route.

iammumtoone- good idea about seeing if i can make note of the 2.5K mark..does anyone know how i can do this? Bear in mind that the mobile signal around our town is dodgy at the best of times, so an app that uses 4G/3G isn't a great idea, and i dont have a sports watch or anything else to track it?

If a car approaches there are quite a few 'passing places', and i know its quite a busy section of road...I'm going to try it on Wednesday and see what it's like. I might drive it tomorrow, i wont have time to walk it because i am out for the day.

Thanks for the opinions :)
  • i.love.baking
    Options
    I missed my weekend run as I had a friend to stay so was knackered yesterday evening! oop, never mind. Will be back out tomorrow though, looking forward to it :)

Is anyone else experiencing the same as me today? I literally don't feel like i have run at all. On the other days i have done (week 1, d1-d3) i have really felt it in my legs the rest of the day. But today i don't feel anything? :question::huh:

I found I was really achy after the first few runs and then after that I've been fine but also haven't done any stretches.

I can't believe so many of you fit in other exercise too! Very impressed! I'd like to go swimming but it's such a faff with shaving legs and contact lenses and everything that I just can't be bothered to go! probably just an excuse though!

I went to primark the other day to have a look at the sports wear but didn't really see anything I liked very much! it all felt like it would make me sweat too much. I think I might try ebay.
  • iammumtoone
    edited 19 September 2016 at 9:34PM
    Options
    iammumtoone- good idea about seeing if i can make note of the 2.5K mark..does anyone know how i can do this? Bear in mind that the mobile signal around our town is dodgy at the best of times, so an app that uses 4G/3G isn't a great idea, and i dont have a sports watch or anything else to track it?

I am not a technical person but I believe that phones take the GPS signal via the phone itself not mobile data. They certainly used to as in the days when I used to run I didn't have mobile data and Edmondo tracked fine then.

I will test it tomorrow for you, I will turn off mobile data and see if Edmondo works when I go on the school run.

Edit: just for you (and myself I was curious) I have just tested it been for a walk down the street, turned off mobile data, it still tracked then realised it was still locating my house wii fi :rotfl: turned this off as well and it warned me that without it, its not so accurate BUT it still worked and tracked. If Endomondo works likes this I suspect they all do.
  • Fletchasketch
    Options
    Day 2 of week 6 done and man, was it tough tonight! Driving rain, but so pleased I got through it. Starting to get really dark in the evenings so pleased I'd got the flouro top.

Kudos to everyone who made it out in the rain today, you're all superstars.
    May'18 DEBT FREE!

£6025 PB's: £1427 Nutmeg Pot: £51'174 Company Shares £512.09 InvestEngine £8.21 Freetrade £569.46 Stake
    £2457.92 TCB.
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    I can't believe so many of you fit in other exercise too! Very impressed! I'd like to go swimming but it's such a faff with shaving legs and contact lenses and everything that I just can't be bothered to go! probably just an excuse though!

OMG Thank you its such a good job you mentioned that, I hadn't thought of it :( I only ever go swimming on holiday and of course I do them then, but I am single and this time of year living in trousers I tend to leave it :o

I wear glasses which is another reason I hate swimming I can't see a thing without them. I do own some prescription goggles buts its very embarrassing wearing them all the time, who wears goggles to and form the changing rooms and lockers :rotfl: whilst better than nothing they aren't very clear to see out of either :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure