Do you tip in restaurants?

Options

Comments

• balabooberlies
    balabooberlies Posts: 1,865 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 31 December 2019 at 6:26AM
    Options
    Well yes, that was interesting for me...........

And you have made me smile, in the nicest possible way, but I will explain later.

Here is a little industry knowledge to help you understand the position/vacancy.

It is a 'Casual' position. Groups of this size will always have a 'bank' of staff to draw on for functions banqueting style. Imagine an elevated 5 star buffet. This post is a trainee position where the wheat shall be extracted from the chaff. The managers will be looking for hard workers that can be trained to become skilled workers but that also have a passion for the industry. In no way would they be let loose on customers to take orders or manage a table. They may be used (when there are no functions) to be support staff to those that are trained/experienced enough to deliver a fine dining experience.

The only glaring thing I found in that vacancy is that they were asking for confidence in 'Silver Service'. A beginner wouldn't have the first inkling. If they were dextrous then they can pick it up quickly but it still requires finesse and that only comes with practice and experience.

Now, I haven't only worked at 'fine dining' level. One of my best experiences was working in a fish and chip shop. The owner was amazing. His standard was excellence and I spent many a happy hour in the middle of the night trawling through Billingsgate market. He hand picked his produce, no deliveries for him. But what I took away from that period of work is that his standards touched everything. Down to us not being allowed to touch our faces or hair whilst on duty. If you did you had to visibly show the customers that you were washing your hands. It didn't take long for it to become a habit not to touch your face or hair.

As to why you made me smile......

"Also I've been to a restaurant where you ordered the food on a tablet and it was then sent to your table directly on a rollercoaster track. So no staff waiting on you and it was one of the best restaurant experiences I have had."

Please, you cannot expect me to take your opinion on this subject seriously. Not after a comment like that. :)

A word to the wise...... we cannot be knowledgeable on all things.
    AKA : Bala La Boo & Bala Baloo

According to a lovely poster I am Bala the Brave who wrestled a Tiger.  You know who you are..... 

I HAVE A GOLD STAR and A MEDAL and a Title !
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well yes, that was interesting for me...........

And you have made me smile, in the nicest possible way, but I will explain later.

Here is a little industry knowledge to help you understand the position/vacancy.

It is a 'Casual' position. Groups of this size will always have a 'bank' of staff to draw on for functions banqueting style. Imagine an elevated 5 star buffet. This post is a trainee position where the wheat shall be extracted from the chaff. The managers will be looking for hard workers that can be trained to become skilled workers but that also have a passion for the industry. In no way would they be let loose on customers to take orders or manage a table. They may be used (when there are no functions) to be support staff to those that are trained/experienced enough to deliver a fine dining experience.

The only glaring thing I found in that vacancy is that they were asking for confidence in 'Silver Service'. A beginner wouldn't have the first inkling. If they were dextrous then they can pick it up quickly but it still requires finesse and that only comes with practice and experience.

Now, I haven't only worked at 'fine dining' level. One of my best experiences was working in a fish and chip shop. The owner was amazing. His standard was excellence and I spent many a happy hour in the middle of the night trawling through Billingsgate market. He hand picked his produce, no deliveries for him. But what I took away from that period of work is that his standards touched everything. Down to us not being allowed to touch our faces or hair whilst on duty. If you did you had to visibly show the customers that you were washing your hands. It didn't take long for it to become a habit not to touch your face or hair.

What that shows is that you each restaurant will have specific standard and they are able to train people up to those standards in house. With the proper training it's a job that almost anyone can do if they are willing.
    As to why you made me smile......

"Also I've been to a restaurant where you ordered the food on a tablet and it was then sent to your table directly on a rollercoaster track. So no staff waiting on you and it was one of the best restaurant experiences I have had."

Please, you cannot expect me to take your opinion on this subject seriously. Not after a comment like that. :)

A word to the wise...... we cannot be knowledgeable on all things.

My opinion is just as valid as everyone else's and it's quite arrogant to think your idea of service is the only way it should be done. Personally i enjoyed that restaurant because it was different to all other restaurants. It was entertaining seeing the dishes come down on a track and the food was good which is exactly what you expect from a dining out experience.

I've had fine dining experiences and the service was excellent but it's not something that i find particularly impressive. At the end of the day the person is carrying plates around and taking orders and no matter how well they do it the end result is still the same. It will be far more impressive when they have robots doing the same job.

You obviously take great pride in your life as a server but you need to realise that some people don't really care about service. You also don't seem to understand the whole industry as much as you think. In an earlier comment you said:
    People go to restaurants, not to eat, because we all have the means to do that, but for the ambiance. For the (what should be) pleasurable atmosphere, combined with the great food and the experience of being 'Served' by a professional that seeks to meet your every need. How often do you get served at home ?

So if we consider a McDonald's restaurant people will go in order on their phone or on a screen and the food will be delivered to the table on a tray. That is the bare minimum service you can get but yet it's the most successful restaurant chain in the entire world!.
  • balabooberlies
    Options
    I don't understand your reference to McDonald's but yes they are tremendously successful. Did I say they were not ? They provide food and an experience. They spend oodles of money to get it right. They got it right when they understood the power of recreating the same experience in every single restaurant across the world. They provide a reliable service with set standards. They are the most successful company in the world for hooking children in and making them lifelong customers. They also create a tremendous amount of landfill with their plastic toys. I have no objection to them. Apart from the toys.

I have worked in cafes, pubs, beautiful restaurants and each was a great experience. I worked in other industries too because my Customer Service skills are/were transferable. I generally like the public and take great joy in making things easier for them, putting a smile on their face. It gave me a sense of achievement.

I worked for a period in a theater box office. A lady came to buy some tickets but was a little short money wise. I paid the difference and thought no more about it. The next day as she was about to attend the show she came to me with fresh cut flowers from her garden. I will never forget that.

Now Takmon, you are being very very very naughty stating that I do not know this industry. I guarantee you that I know it 100% better than you do and as you have said.......you don't care about service.

Further cementing my belief that you should not be taken seriously. It also begs the question as to why you are spending time discussing something that you don't care about.

The mind would boggle but am too tired. Have a good day, it is New Years Eve so.....

Happy New Year everyone...........

According to a lovely poster I am Bala the Brave who wrestled a Tiger.  You know who you are..... 

• balabooberlies
    Options
    Ooohhhh

I must add this. McDonald's is a fast food restaurant, a few steps up from your desire to have food delivered by robots. It is not a restaurant in the sense we were talking about. I am so tired that I didn't at first get the point you were trying to make. I think you have failed and missed all the points completely. And of course I mean that in the nicest possible way because I do understand that there will always be differing opinions. I am only responsible for my own and in this instance it is backed by a good 20-30 years in the industry.

Didn't you read the sorting the 'wheat from the chaf' ?

The attrition rate in the catering industry is very high because NOT everyone can do the job. I have already explained why.

You seem to want to demean this job or at least reduce it to a standard that is menial. Why is that ?

Perhaps your gut instinct is telling you that you would be one of the many that cannot do the job ?

Just a suggestion.............

• Takmon
    Options
    Now Takmon, you are being very very very naughty stating that I do not know this industry. I guarantee you that I know it 100% better than you do and as you have said.......you don't care about service.

Further cementing my belief that you should not be taken seriously. It also begs the question as to why you are spending time discussing something that you don't care about.

You made a statement in your above post that I quoted where you said people go out to get food for the experience and service and not just the food. You said if the service was non existent then they might aswell eat at home.
    But the McDonald's example was to show you that there is a massive market for people who just want to go out get consistent food with very little to no table service.
    You seemed to be implying that everyone wants to go out and be fussed over by restaurant staff but that really isn't the case. You even said my opinion isn't valid because I liked a different kind of automated service which makes you sound naive.

If your so experienced in the industry then you should realise that there are a many types of restaurants offering many different levels of service. The vast majority it is a very simple job with little training required to take orders and carry plates.
    The attrition rate in the catering industry is very high because NOT everyone can do the job. I have already explained why.

You seem to want to demean this job or at least reduce it to a standard that is menial. Why is that ?

Perhaps your gut instinct is telling you that you would be one of the many that cannot do the job ?

Just a suggestion.............

"Attrition rate" means reducing staffing level and not replacing them so I'm assuming you mean staff turnover rate. The turnover rate is high because it's an entry level job with poor hours and people move onto better jobs.

Your trying to make out these kinds of jobs are something they are not by saying they are highly skilled and difficult to do which really isn't the case. But I won't say anymore because I don't want to be rude about the jobs you chose to spend your life doing.
  • balabooberlies
    Options
    oooooohhhhhhh

wow !

I hope you feel that you have scored enough points. I don't have the energy or desire to respond.

As I cannot take you seriously on this subject, best we leave it. We may meet on another thread and actually agree with each other. Stranger things have happened.

In the meantime have a very good evening.............

• balabooberlies
    Options
    'Your trying to make out these kinds of jobs are something they are not by saying they are highly skilled and difficult to do which really isn't the case. But I won't say anymore because I don't want to be rude about the jobs you chose to spend your life doing.'

Gosh, just realised how nasty this comment is. I must be more tired than I know.

I didn't say that your opinion wasn't valid, just not valid to me.

To make a comment like the one above only leads me to think that my instinct is right. I feel a bit sorry for you.

Still, it takes all sorts and I am sure we are both happy with the choices we have made for our own lives.

Live and let live.............

• Takmon
    edited 1 January 2020 at 12:39AM
    Options
    'Your trying to make out these kinds of jobs are something they are not by saying they are highly skilled and difficult to do which really isn't the case. But I won't say anymore because I don't want to be rude about the jobs you chose to spend your life doing.'

Gosh, just realised how nasty this comment is. I must be more tired than I know.

I didn't say that your opinion wasn't valid, just not valid to me.

To make a comment like the one above only leads me to think that my instinct is right. I feel a bit sorry for you.

Still, it takes all sorts and I am sure we are both happy with the choices we have made for our own lives.

Live and let live.............

I find your opinion valid even though you disagree with me and that's why I'm having a discussion with you.

Saying you don't find my opinion valid is very closed minded of you and a common theme on this forum when people don't agree with them. Personally I'm happy to discuss things with people who will never agree with me and still find their opinion valid if everything they say is factually correct.

My comment isn't nasty at all, I'm just being realistic about what the jobs actually involve. You haven't said anything to convince me that taking orders and delivering food to tables takes any kind of special skills in the average restaurant.

But I'm surprised you the energy to do the job before because you seem to be exhausting yourself from just writing posts on here :rotfl:
  • balabooberlies
    Options
    Giddy Aunt !

Well no wonder why you haven't been convinced of anything......... you haven't read my posts.

Feel even worse for you now...........................

• Takmon
    Options
    Giddy Aunt !

Well no wonder why you haven't been convinced of anything......... you haven't read my posts.

Feel even worse for you now...........................

So when someone doesn't agree with you then your first thought is they haven't read your posts :rotfl:

I have read every one of your posts but if you care to explain why you think I haven't then I will show you the relevant parts of your previous posts that I'm referring too.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback