MSE News: Virgin Media to hit customers with price rise of up to £42/year

Options

Comments

• darthpaul6
    Options
    Instead of moving (because I'd probably have to pay for a new line) I've got them to downgrade me to 50mb and no phone =£25 a month

Is that no phone line at all, or no inclusive calls? And does that constitute a new contract?
  • fuzzgun19
    fuzzgun19 Posts: 7,767 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've had a letter from VM saying my package price is going up (still in contract), so have called to cancel, the assistant offered a rubbish price so I just reitterated I wanted to cancel.
    Will update if/when I get a call with a proper deal.
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
  • darthpaul6
    Options
    We finally received our email about the impending price rises on 18th September. That gives us until 31st October to cancel the contract without exit fees. I've just called to do so and have been told Virgin's system has the notification going out on the 28th August, meaning the deadline for leaving was the end of September.
    I'm looking at the email and can't fathom how there can be such a disparity between what Virgin's system says and the date of the mail. Has anybody else encountered this, and how did you move forward?

I'm hopping mad!

Thanks in advance.
  • darthpaul6
    Options
    Fair play to Virgin - just spoken to a very helpful lady and all is (hopefully) sorted. Pity it had to come to that.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    what date does it give at the bottom or the letter/email?
  • Morts82
    Options
    I called at the beginning of October to cancel my contract. I wanted to do this as I receive very skow broadband during peak times. I was adamant that I wanted to leave and because of this they didn't try to persuade me to stay. I have 50mb, a small tv package and phone and had been paying £35 after a £7 monthly discount agreed when I signed a new deal.
    I received a call today offering me 200mb broadband on top of my existing package for £28 per month. I have 2 weeks grace where I can cancel if my broadband speed is still poor during peak periods.
    If the speeds increase then this is a fantastic deal for me. Especially as the existing £7 discount will also be applied so I'll be paying £21 monthly until July.

My advice is cancel your deal and wait for the phone to ring. You'll need to be prepared to leave. You'll get a call and will be able to stay if you want.
  • m4n1c
    Options
    Hi all.

After loyalty "discount" and the latest price hike Virgin wants to charge us 30 GBP only for Internet (50Mb). Now, that seems quite a steep price for less than ideal quality of service they provide.

Do you think I can negotiate that down? Seems like quite a few of you have much better deals with Virgin?

Thank you!
  • leew
    leew Posts: 726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    m4n1c wrote: »
    Hi all.

After loyalty "discount" and the latest price hike Virgin wants to charge us 30 GBP only for Internet (50Mb). Now, that seems quite a steep price for less than ideal quality of service they provide.

Do you think I can negotiate that down? Seems like quite a few of you have much better deals with Virgin?

Thank you!

Yes, cancel and they will offer a better deal.

I got offered £22.25 for 6mths then £25.25 for 6 mths with a month free BUT there are cheaper fibre deals out there.

I did the above but told them I'll think about it because Retention's have the best deals so I'll cancel and wait due to it being cheaper elsewhere.

We shall see, will post back.
  • darthpaul6
    Options
    They called me again the following evening to offer me 12 months with everything we still have (Big Easy, Phone, 50mb broadband) for £26 a month. I politely declined and they hung up! They called me four times yesterday; I've blocked the number now.
    Every time I think I might have acted hastily, they seem to do something that reassures me I was right to leave. Considering our phone line has never worked and our phone number seems to have been allocated to somebody else (all this before cancellation) I'm pretty happy to be shot of them.
  • m4n1c
    Options
    leew wrote: »
    Yes, cancel and they will offer a better deal.

I got offered £22.25 for 6mths then £25.25 for 6 mths with a month free BUT there are cheaper fibre deals out there.

I did the above but told them I'll think about it because Retention's have the best deals so I'll cancel and wait due to it being cheaper elsewhere.

We shall see, will post back.

Got the same deal. Accepted it, don't have the time to haggle to death with them and this seems ok to me - better than I had before the price hike.

Let me know how you get along.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport