We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Virgin Media to hit customers with price rise of up to £42/year

Options
17891113

Comments

  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    It's not a fixed price (I don't think many/any contracts like this are), but yes you can cancel without charge. Just make sure you follow the instructions in the letter before the deadline.
  • EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Options
    The contract says £32.49 Monthly charge during promotional period. That to me reads £32.49 for 18 months which I think would be the view of a court if I took it that far. How can it be some other price?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    EdGasket wrote: »
    The contract says £32.49 Monthly charge during promotional period. That to me reads £32.49 for 18 months which I think would be the view of a court if I took it that far. How can it be some other price?
    As already pointed out to you, the price is NOT fixed during the minimum term, but you are free to leave without penalty if there is a price rise.

    Please don't post about potential court proceedings, none are possible. I recommend you read the whole of the contract terms.

    Do you really think the legal teams of providers would allow anything less than watertight contract terms?
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,636 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    EdGasket wrote: »
    The contract says £32.49 Monthly charge during promotional period. That to me reads £32.49 for 18 months which I think would be the view of a court if I took it that far. How can it be some other price?

    If you don't like the increase Virgin are allowing you to leave without penalty, if you want to stay you need to pay the increase, you don't want to pay the increase, you are free to leave...

    It's that simple.
    ====
  • bubblegun
    bubblegun Posts: 210 Forumite
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    If you don't like the increase Virgin are allowing you to leave without penalty, if you want to stay you need to pay the increase, you don't want to pay the increase, you are free to leave...

    It's that simple.

    ...or pretend you want to leave to get a better price after the price change.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    EdGasket wrote: »
    The contract says £32.49 Monthly charge during promotional period. That to me reads £32.49 for 18 months which I think would be the view of a court if I took it that far. How can it be some other price?


    The court would probably say 'did you not read the terms of the legal contract you entered into?'
    We and/or Virgin Media Payments may change our charges at anytime. Any changes to our monthly charges will be published by us and/or Virgin Media Payments on the Virgin Media website and we will also give you notice of the change(s) at least 30 days before the changes take effect and you may cancel the services affected in accordance with clause M14.

    M14 is too long to cut and paste, but here is the link if you are interested:

    http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services.html#agreement


    Anyway, you are free to leave providing you follow the termination procedure as laid out. Or as said above, use it as a haggling tactic to get a lower price.
  • EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Options
    Well contrary to the advice here, on the paperwork for both the increases it says 'For those on a promotional offer we will honour that price'; even though in practice they don't. I phoned up and complained and have been credited with 6 months worth of the previous increase plus extra discount per month going forward to cover the increase from 1st Nov.

    When I asked why they hadn't 'honoured the price during the promotional period' automatically, the woman waffled a bit but I kind of gather VM will apply the increase regardless and if you don't complain you end up paying it as I had done. Its very poor really to behave like that.

    If anyone else is in a contract, ring up and hold them to the agreed price!
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OP I had a similar letter, just rang 150 waited for ages for them to answer. Got my service up graded for less than pay now. Give them a ring and they should be able to help you. Also if you have the funds ask them about up front line rental.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • JB162
    JB162 Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    EdGasket wrote: »
    Well contrary to the advice here, on the paperwork for both the increases it says 'For those on a promotional offer we will honour that price'; even though in practice they don't. I phoned up and complained and have been credited with 6 months worth of the previous increase plus extra discount per month going forward to cover the increase from 1st Nov.

    When I asked why they hadn't 'honoured the price during the promotional period' automatically, the woman waffled a bit but I kind of gather VM will apply the increase regardless and if you don't complain you end up paying it as I had done. Its very poor really to behave like that.

    If anyone else is in a contract, ring up and hold them to the agreed price!

    There are different promotional offers.

    The only one that the price increase will not effect are new customer's who are within there welcome offer. For example you take a 18 month contract but the first 9 months are on a welcome offer. So the first 9 months are price protected. However once you get to the 10 month the price increase kicks in.

    The £10 off offer that you have is an existing customer offer which is subject to price increases.
  • EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Options
    Well thats not what it says in the contract and price increase letter and VM seemed to agree with me as they have refunded both past and future increases. I am not a new customer either.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards