What Small Debt Free Wanabee things will you do this week? w/c 15th August

Options
Bobarella
Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
edited 24 August 2016 at 10:33AM in Debt-free wannabe
When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
" Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20

Comments

• Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good morning all

Enough of the regular posters on this thread said they were happy to try it as a weekly instead of a daily thread so I have set it up for this coming week.
    I think we may find it easiest to still post about our current days with daily check ins. But if it helps people who cant get on every day to talk about their weekly plans go for it!

Bob
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks for starting us off bob it's Monday and thankfully I'm off work :j which is a blessing after a busy weekend. Also I thought what we'd spent yesterday would mean we'd struggle to last until Friday but forgot we had a payment in today so we'll be fine :T

List for today:
    Take girls out on their bikes
    Go for a run or walk - really enjoyed my run yesterday
    Joint of lamb out of freezer for roast later, will make extra Yorkies for freezer
    Check banking, surveys and fpl
    Post mortgage letter :o still on list
    3 loads of washing to do to dry out on line, may try and strip beds too
    Do some more of my accounts, nearly there and then can do tax return
    Check fridge for use up items

Will check back later. PF.
  • determined_new_ms
    determined_new_ms Posts: 7,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 August 2016 at 9:09AM
    Options
    Hi Bob - gosh how maverick of you all changing this to a weekly thread! As a rule follower this'll take me some time :rotfl:

Quick post for me, 8.5 hours goes so quick if I fritter my time away online! Will allow myself 20 minutes with a coffee before springing into action!

Yesterday dgd went out with my ds and his gf for 4 hours, swimming then for something to eat. This is a major thing for us as for the first time in 2 years we had a child free afternoon! It went really well, she was a little reluctant to go to start with but enjoyed herself so hopefully it will happen again :T

Smalls for the day:

First thing is try to to panic my new employer didn't contact me Thursday or fri last week to arrange a start date when they now have my references and dbs... :(

Load of washing in machine and hang out when finished

Go to the allotment for a few hours and do some digging. Feeling invigorated by the allotment again - felt a bit overwhelmed by the slow progress recently. Oh went and sprayed it with weed killer on Saturday and sorted out the shed. Veggies are growing well, I have 10 squashes on my plants :T

All meals from stores - put chicken in sc for quesadillas tonight

Do some gardening this afternoon, clean off decking, try to tidy up the greenhouse and plant some strawberry runners

Get bread and milk out of freezer

Check through the fridge to make sure anything that needs using gets used! It's really full atm and that, for us, is a sure fire way of missing what needs using!

Take. Book to library. Was charged £6.99 for a book that got sand in the cover :mad: but ordered it online for £2.81 instead :T

Ok that'll keep me busy I think! Happy Monday everyone x
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Gooooood morning chums,

An unproductive weekend which also wasn’t very DFW of me so need to get back on the waggon

- Bring breakie and lunch into work
    - Check banks and YNAB
    - Check free postcode lottery
    - Early night
    - Tidy the house
    - Healthy dinner

Short but sweet.
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    Morning all :coffee:
    Thanks for the starter this week(!) Bob.
    Hope you get a start date soon DNMS.
    Pleased to report that normal service seems to have resumed this morning in terms of my not feeling sick any more. I'm quite weak having been laid up for a couple of days and my joints hurt when I move - but I feel as though I could be getting things done today. Promise I will try not to overdo it though.
    Today's list
    :) check banking and PAD
    :) clean the bathroom
    :) post a parcel that needs doing desperately
    :) take the kids out pokemon hunting
    :) declutter one area that's been getting to me
    :) nap if I need to
    :) crochet
    :) try and remain calm...
    Have a good day everyone. :beer:
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    MONEY MAKING AND SAVING SITES AS OFTEN MENTIONED IN THIS FORUM:
    • Benefits check-up ( Link )
    • Coupon Shop Forum list of money-off coupons (Link)
    • Cooking On A Bootstrap, cheap recipes ( Link)
    • eBid ( Link )
    • Freecycle ( Link )
    • Free Postcode Lottery ( Link )
    • FreeStuff ( Link )
    • FreeUKStuff ( Link )
    • Income Tax Calculator (Link)
    • i-Say Surveys (Link)
    • List of online newspapers. At bottom of the linked page. ( Link )
    • LuckyPhone free lottery with loyalty rewards (Link)
    • Marriage Tax Allowance (Link)
    • MSE Boost Your Income page. Gateway to lots of money-making links. ( Link )
    • MSE Abbreviations Explained ( Link )
    • MSE Deals and Vouchers ( Link )
    • MSE Wow Offers ( Link )
    • NHS Minor Ailment Service article (Link)
    • My Supermarket ( Link )
    • OnePoll ( Link )
    • Quidco ( Link )
    • Reclaim PPI at no cost to yourself ( Link )
    • Resolver tool. Helps you draft a letter, send it, monitor replies and then escalate it to an Ombudsman or key complaint body if it's not sorted. (Link)
    • SayNoTo0870 cheap phone number finder ( Link )
    • Survey sites that pay for your opinions ( Link )
    • Swagbucks ( Link )
    • Swapit ( Link )
    • Tesco Orchard product testing (Link)
    • Tickety Split cheap train tickets (Link)
    • Toluna ( Link )
    • TopCashBack ( Link )
    • Wombling Guide (Link)
    • You Need A Budget site and App (Link)
    Checked 28 June 2016.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 15 August 2016 at 12:10PM
    Options
    Hi August Awesome-ees,

Thanks for the starter Bob.

What a night! DW and I had ONE drink last night. Awoken at 3am by a loud noise: sound of diabetic DW collapsing on bathroom floor. :eek: She's right as rain now.

Watching Olympics in between recovering my shredded nerves and tidying the house.

Debt Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Two:

* Checked broadband allowance.

* Done RMS Surveys.

* Clean upstairs with Startdrops, washable cloths and elbow grease.

* Lipbalm fell apart. Put it back together again.

* Ordered a new zip for trousers. £1.39 on eBay.

Live long, live well and prosper.

Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    Hallaluja I start work next monday :j :beer: :j
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hallaluja I start work next monday :j :beer: :j

Woo hoo! Finally a date for you. Hope everything else ok X
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,129 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello Monday Savers,
    Busy day so far:
    *Laundry done overnight on cheap tariff, then a full-price load this morning to make use of this fab line-drying weather,
    *mr f is off work & volunteered to clean the oven. It was VERY manky as we'd planned to replace it, so let it go a bit. Then it started behaving itself so we are going to keep it as long as possible. All products except a pack of soap filled pads from our cleaning cupboard. Elbow grease is really the key thing with oven-cleaning.
    *Hacked greenhouse jungle back. Harvested more chillies, courgettes, squash, tomatoes & spring onions. Also did first pick of runner beans.
    *Watered veggie garden.
    *Sowed more salad leaves.
    *Phoned insurance provider to sort out insurance for new car & to make sure old car is covered until we hand it over to the dealer. £55 extra to pay. £26 of that was for changing my policy half way through the contract (same as when you are charged to leave) & the rest was for insuring newer car. I'd expected to be paying around this amount. Wasted 3 phone calls to breakdown cover provider as kept being put through to wrong dept, then when I did get through to the right staff, they couldn't do anything about my policy until we have the new car. Bit of a time waste.....plus paying for 3 calls. never mind, I'll know next time & will also mention next time I'm asked to comment on customer service.
    *Updated my blog as had promised a couple of people a recipe.
    *Cut down a few more plastic bottles ready for next year's cloches for baby plants.
    *Fed hanging baskets to keep them going a bit longer. The naughty old pre-LBM me was forever buying plants & stuff from garden centres. I used to spend a fortune.
    Well mr f has finished cleaning the oven. It looks really good. And he's just brought me a cup of tea & is apparently going to have half an hour firing at aliens before doing roast chicken!
    Have a good day all,
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure