Splitting Bills & Rent

Options
Hi all. My Partner earns alot more than me and with our current arrangment we split everything evenly down the middle. This leaves me with next to nothing each month . Can anyone please advise on how we should work the bills based on our wages

Comments

• jackomdj
    jackomdj Posts: 3,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The problem is here is no "should". Some people split 50/50, some proportionally to earnings, some put it all in a pot, some put it all in and have spending money.

You need to talk to your partner not us to see what you as a couple want to do.
  • LKRDN_Morgan
    LKRDN_Morgan Posts: 308 Forumite
    Options
    Work out the percentage based on the difference between your earnings and theirs?
    Pool all your money together but not necessarily have a joint account?

Out of interest do they end up paying for everything anyway when your money has run out?
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jackomdj wrote: »
    The problem is here is no "should". Some people split 50/50, some proportionally to earnings, some put it all in a pot, some put it all in and have spending money.

You need to talk to your partner not us to see what you as a couple want to do.

Absolutely right. It depends on whether your partner wants to subsidise you from his/her earnings.
  • Detroit
    Detroit Posts: 790 Forumite
    Options
    If you have decided on a 50/50 split, and this leaves you with nothing each month, then the lifestyle you're living is too expensive for you, although it may be affordable for him on his higher wage.

Your options are for him to pay more towards the bills or for you to pare down your lifestyle so it's affordable within your budget, e.g. downsize or move to a cheaper area, buy less expensive food and so on.

You could ask your partner which option he would prefer.

Put your hands up.
  • .j.e.j
    .j.e.j Posts: 161 Forumite
    Options
    Well, for example your accommodation shouldn't be costing more than about 30% of your earnings.

If you are 'married' in all but name, it might be better to pool your finances into one account?
    I'm back.. :D:D

(lost my password/email to my old account!)
  • Peter333
    Peter333 Posts: 2,035 Forumite
    Options
    I may be an old cynic, but it doesn't bode well for ANY relationship when the partner who earns quite a bit more (usually the man,) wants to go 50/50 on everything. It sort of smacks of control, lack of consideration, and wanting a certain amount of power over the 'poorer partner.'

If the total outgoings for a house/flat is say, £1200 a month, and the higher earner picks up £1250, and the lower earner picks up £700, then why on EARTH would the higher earning partner expect HALF towards everything from the lower earner? Leaving THEM with £650 a month, and their partner only £100? This is remarkably selfish, and as I said, controlling IMO.

If the higher earning partner doesn't want to 'subsidise' the low earning partner, then that doesn't say much for the relationship IMO. Why would someone who loves their partner see them living on next to nothing, whilst they have multiple 100s a month to squander?

The OP needs to talk to her partner NOW. If he says 'tough, you need to earn more!' then I would rethink whether you want to be in the relationship.

I would be interested to know if you work full time or part time OP..........
    You didn't, did you? :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,181 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I live alone and pay all bills, I don't have much left over either, it's no different.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tell them you need to both move into a studio flatlet as you can't afford where you're living now .... then start making appointments/viewings. They might offer more towards the rent.
  • LKRDN_Morgan
    LKRDN_Morgan Posts: 308 Forumite
    Options
    cjdavies wrote: »
    I live alone and pay all bills, I don't have much left over either, it's no different.

Well it is. Living together means sharing bills. If you live alone you don't have that option
  • kimofy
    kimofy Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    I work full time. We have a 3 yr old and have to pay for child care which is split equally. I dont have a lavish lifestyle and have cut back as much as i possibly can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure