26, no savings feel stuck

Options

Comments

• Houseplant26
    Options
    So last nights spends
    £14 on pizza and two half pints
    (Needed a drink in the end!!)
    Today £4 on breakfast because I over slept. Annoyed about that one as would have been a NSD but had to grab something in cafe by work on way to work
  • Houseplant26
    Options
    Declaring a spend from today £1.65 on some chocolate buttons, but this was after a free roast dinner at a friends. I brought over a bottle of wine I already had.

Forgot to log a spend from other day I think £5 on two posh reduced pies.

I have transferred another £50 across to my savings bringing that to £125. I now have £226 left to last until 21st November. Should be doable and I'd really like to if not save more. I know next month will be much much leaner on pay front.
  • Houseplant26
    Options
    Logging spends
    £20 my share of food shop, higher than I wanted but OH did it and snuck some treats in.
    Not terrible.
    £6 entry somewhere
    £4.60 two soft drinks in a pub

Last two not essential spends but we had a date day. I guess a tenner for a date isn't bad!

Now have £200 in account as other money was spent from purse. 3weeks until pay day but all essentials bar more food covered and some to savings so doing ok ish x
  • Houseplant26
    Options
    Had a spendy day today. Feeling a bit low.

£29.50 face scrub
    £1 bus
    £3.95 lunch
    £5ish clothes washing stuff and hair conditioner
  • Houseplant26
    Options
    Another spendy day yesterday
    £20 my share of new bedding. This was very much needed as our current sets are very old and we didn't have enough spare duvet covers if others are drying which is harder in winter. They do make me happy the feel of fresh new sheets is amazing! I'd used charity shop finds since uni until now.
    £2.54 hot chocolate paid for with coins in purse - however last one I can afford this month still have a lot of month to go on not much money now.

Ps does anyone know if and how I can move this thread to a forum I stumbled upon with people keeping 'savings' diaries? It's like the DFW diaries but more relevant to me and my savings journey.
  • Dird
    Dird Posts: 2,703 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Some various thoughts reading the last couple pages (read the initial posts early on but didn't keep up):
    - You haven't developed any self-control, you need to
    - Your overdraft is growing, not shrinking
    - You need to find some music or something to cheer you up. At the end of every calendar month you have a debbie downer and use it as an excuse for wasteful spending. Listen to Backstreet Boys instead or something
    - eBooks are cheaper/free
    - Expensive food/drink isn't necessary e.g. buttons (40p in Aldi, £1.65 !!!!!!), hot chocolate, £4 breakfast because you woke up late (punish yourself and have a cup of tea instead; I never have breakfast). Then all the fast food, takeaways and pies.
    I left my bank card in a shop on an out of town shopping centre when I bought that hat.
    You should have returned that wasteful hat when you went to collect it. I saw a woolly hat for £4 in a gas station so presumably they can be bought cheaper at Primark etc. You already had 1 any way so there's no need. My woolly hat has a rip in the front, I still use it
    Mortgage (Nov 15): £79,950 | Mortgage (May 19): £71,754 | Mortgage (Sep 22): £0
    Cashback sites: £900 | £30k in 2016: £30,300 (101%)
  • Houseplant26
    Options
    Dird wrote: »
    Some various thoughts reading the last couple pages (read the initial posts early on but didn't keep up):
    - You haven't developed any self-control, you need to
    - Your overdraft is growing, not shrinking
    - You need to find some music or something to cheer you up. At the end of every calendar month you have a debbie downer and use it as an excuse for wasteful spending. Listen to Backstreet Boys instead or something
    - eBooks are cheaper/free
    - Expensive food/drink isn't necessary e.g. buttons (40p in Aldi, £1.65 !!!!!!), hot chocolate, £4 breakfast because you woke up late (punish yourself and have a cup of tea instead; I never have breakfast). Then all the fast food, takeaways and pies.

You should have returned that wasteful hat when you went to collect it. I saw a woolly hat for £4 in a gas station so presumably they can be bought cheaper at Primark etc. You already had 1 any way so there's no need. My woolly hat has a rip in the front, I still use it

Ok little bit of a negative tone do you not think? My overdraft isn't growing actually, I'm out of it. I do have some level of self control or I would be sitting on a lot of debt, which I'm not. I appreciate I could exercise more but that's why I am trying to learn.
  • Dird
    Dird Posts: 2,703 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 November 2016 at 7:36PM
    Options
    Ok little bit of a negative tone do you not think? My overdraft isn't growing actually, I'm out of it. I do have some level of self control or I would be sitting on a lot of debt, which I'm not. I appreciate I could exercise more but that's why I am trying to learn.
    September 21st: £180 overdrawn
    20th October: overdrawn by £250
    You're not out of your overdraft until you're still out of it by pay day. There's your target for this month :money:
    The self-control was aimed at the "I'm feeling glum, lets buy a hot chocolate. I'm feeling glum, time for a takeaway. That hat looks nice...£12? bargain"
    Mortgage (Nov 15): £79,950 | Mortgage (May 19): £71,754 | Mortgage (Sep 22): £0
    Cashback sites: £900 | £30k in 2016: £30,300 (101%)
  • Houseplant26
    Options
    I'm due to be out of it and am out of it currently with £125 saved. I'll get there!
  • Houseplant26
    Options
    On track for today to be a NSD.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business