MSE News: You'll need a TV licence to use iPlayer from 1 September this year

Options

Comments

• VisionMan
    VisionMan Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    you need to expect others to extrapolate on what you've said.

Nope.
    If you want to put your own views forward, just do it.

I already have. Sorry they weren't to your satisfaction. And yes, you'll be annoyed at that response. But its true...
  • Bigger_Ale
    Options
    Hi, This my first post, so please be patient.

Having looked at the TV Licencing website, it is unclear to me whether students require a licence to use portable devices, powered by their own batteries in a student house or whether their parent's licence covers it.

Can somebody help, please?

Many thanks
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,179 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If

- the Student's permanent address is their parental home

AND

- that address has a Licence

AND

- they watch TV only on equipment powered by its own internal batteries...

then NO they don't need a separate Licence of their own.
  • DollBretagne
    Options
    :eek:So just wondering then...I wanted to watch a Louis Theroux programme through my Netflix but when the programme started BBC logo came up!??(I quickly switched it off and did not watch it!)-Would this be covered by my Netflix subscription?as I do not have a licence and cannot watch player now either...a shame really wouldn't mind paying for the player service..if there was a small charge....And another point what happens if it is accidentally switched on ( no I'm serious,by young children ,elderly or special needs?!!!!!:D:eek:
  • Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you're watching through something like netflix it's fine.

It's only if it's through Iplayer.
  • Cornucopia
    Options
    :eek:So just wondering then...I wanted to watch a Louis Theroux programme through my Netflix but when the programme started BBC logo came up!??(I quickly switched it off and did not watch it!)-Would this be covered by my Netflix subscription?as I do not have a licence and cannot watch player now either...
    As Nilrem says, ONLY iPlayer is covered by the change in the law. Confusingly, there is a lot of BBC video-on-demand content out there which isn't included under the Licence, for example Netflix & Amazon, Youtube and UKTV (Dave, Yesterday, Really and Drama).

And another point what happens if it is accidentally switched on ( no I'm serious,by young children ,elderly or special needs?!!!!!:D:eek:

There is no automated enforcement of the change, if that's what you mean. Ultimately, such a scenario might come under the scrutiny of TVL roving operatives. I would recommend blocking iPlayer using your Router firewall or ISP's parental controls.

The URLs are:-

- For Youview: ibl.api.bbci.co.uk

- For Windows: mybbc.files.bbci.co.uk, emp.bbci.co.uk and component.iplayer.api.bbc.co.uk
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I did just mean for catch-up viewers

£145 for a couple of programmes on catch up is poor value, I agree, if that's your point.
    If you want to know why I, personally, think the licence fee is worth it, then, in no particular order:
    BBC Website
    iPlayer
    iPlayer radio
    6Music, Radio 2
    Olympics
    Snooker
    National & local news
    Top Gear
    Brian Cox documentaries
    Top of the Pops, Old Grey Whistle test archives etc.
    Glastonbury/festivals coverage
    Shooting Stars, Little Britain, Flight of the Concords, many more comedy shows
    Lots of documetaries that just wouldn't be made elsewhere
    Some programme where James May took stuff apart and put it together again. 1 hour of a man in a shed! But enjoyable.
    NO ADVERTS!

Go and watch TV in the US if you think losing the BBC would be OK.
  • Cornucopia
    Options
    almillar wrote: »
    Go and watch TV in the US if you think losing the BBC would be OK.

I don't think that's a fair comparison (and some American TV is world class, anyway).

I would say go and watch C4 and see what ad-funded, UK public service TV would be like. And what it would be like is leaner, possibly less diverse (though not necessarily in obvious ways), more innovative, certainly.
  • VisionMan
    VisionMan Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I don't think that's a fair comparison (and some American TV is world class, anyway).

I would say go and watch C4 and see what ad-funded, UK public service TV would be like. And what it would be like is leaner, possibly less diverse (though not necessarily in obvious ways), more innovative, certainly.

I disagree with that opinion for the following reasons -

American TV is regarded as expensive dross, with all areas of the US divided up into power hungry pay-through-the nose monopolies which the FCC is currently trying to crush, by opening up each market to new competition. And their winning.

Its the cream of US TV programmes that can be world class, not the TV services/platforms/monopolies themselves.

The BBC has been at the forefront of new and innovative technology for the last fifty years and aims to continue to do so. One only has to compare the new superb BBC iPlayer Beta with, say, ALL4, to see what I'm talking about.

The BBC is regarded as world class, the world over. The British commercial PSBs are not.

Commercial PSBs are in no way as diverse as the BBC. They produce and broadcast programmes to and for the highest common denominator and due to and for purely commercial considerations, always will do.

£145.50? Bargin....
  • kaya
    kaya Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    who cares? the people who buy a licence will continue to do so and those who don't will continue not to
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure