MSE News: You'll need a TV licence to use iPlayer from 1 September this year

Options

Comments

• SW17
    SW17 Posts: 859 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    There is already a loophole - download your content at a Licensed location and watch it anywhere.

True, but this closes the larger part of the loophole which enabled watching iPlayer content legally and much more conveniently than going to somebody else's house to get it.

Cornucopia wrote: »

In reality, though, TV watching is such a mundane and benign activity that it really doesn't need State permission to do it. That's the anachronism of the TV Licence. What the fee is used for is a separate issue.

There maybe some people who want "something for nothing", but the vast majority of people who are legally Licence-free simply want a fair, free and open choice whether to have a Licence or not within the Law. The BBC's draconian and possibly unlawful tactics in enforcing the fee tend to detract from what might otherwise be a high moral ground position with regards to evasion.

You are blending the philosophical debate about the licence fees with the practice of taking something without paying for it, they are not the same thing. As I already stated above, although I support the licence fee model, I accept that those who do not want to consume any BBC content may have an argument against the licence fee (it's a philosophical position at that point regarding BBC funding, and one on which I doubt we will agree, which is fine).

However, the system is in place and the BBC content is not free to produce, and therefore those who seek to consume it under the current system, but without paying, have no case at all. It is not benign at that point. Why should those who object so violently to the BBC that they refuse to pay the licence fee also want or deserve the right to consume its content?
  • I'm scared.

Where are the wifi Ethernet detector vans, trapping the unready!

Scrap the regressive TV Tax
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    SW17 wrote: »
    True, but this closes the larger part of the loophole which enabled watching iPlayer content legally and much more conveniently than going to somebody else's house to get it.
    I just like the irony that in closing the "iPlayer loophole" they have created a new loophole. (Not that it could be any other way).
    You are blending the philosophical debate about the licence fees with the practice of taking something without paying for it, they are not the same thing.
    I didn't do that. The BBC and the Government did it. I want to unpick the unfortunate mess that they have created.

However, the system is in place and the BBC content is not free to produce...
    I think there is a practical difference between the BBC and a Hospital, though (beyond the obvious). Which is that it costs money to treat extra patients, but it does not cost money to screen content to extra viewers.
    ...and therefore those who seek to consume it under the current system, but without paying, have no case at all. It is not benign at that point. Why should those who object so violently to the BBC that they refuse to pay the licence fee also want or deserve the right to consume its content?
    I don't think they do. You presume that the c. 1m people who do not have a Licence all do and think the same things. That simply isn't true.

Personally, I don't have an issue with this new change, and have blocked iPlayer on my Router. I may (very occasionally) use the Downloading loophole to obtain the odd programme, but there is so rarely something I want to watch on the BBC, that I suspect it will soon become something of a hassle that fades into history.

Actually, it's the BBC that is confused - it wants to keep the universal access of an unlocked iPlayer AND enforce against its use. It doesn't really make much sense.
  • crism
    crism Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    With my next renewal date I will be no longer 'BBC customer" and therefore scrapping their tv licence.

I will no longer use aerial (although still connected to property I live in) , I will not be watching BBC I Player.

Only TV programmes I intend to use are those provided by NowTV, Netflix and similar. All on demand.

I read on TV licence website that any live TV whether provided by bbc or other providers require purchase of TV Licence.
    I understand therefore that I do not need TV Licence provided I do not watch live tv of any kind?
    How Can I prove that fact in case of unexpected 'visit' of tv licence people?

What is your opinion regarding that?

Thanks!
  • itstheone
    Options
    I doubt they'd believe you don't watch the live channels on NowTV if you're capable of receiving them.

If you let them in you'll get a summons.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    almillar wrote: »
    What's he got to do with the BBC?!

I think he touched up some young 'uns whist on BBC Top of the Pops and it was common knowledge he was doing it.

If the BBC couldn't catch all these nounces in plain view in their own building I doubt they be able to catch members of the public in their own homes streaming Bake off on their phone.
  • fairy_lights
    Options
    If the BBC couldn't catch all these nounces in plain view in their own building I doubt they be able to catch members of the public in their own homes streaming Bake off on their phone.
    It worries me, I don't/can't watch live TV so don't have a TV licence, but used to watch the occasional programme (bake off :o) on IPlayer.
    If I carry on doing that, will they know? Do they know who's watching Iplayer? I've heard some people say they have ways of knowing, and other people say it's impossible, and all I know is that as much as I love bake off it's not worth paying £145 to watch.
  • Cornucopia
    Options
    It worries me, I don't/can't watch live TV so don't have a TV licence, but used to watch the occasional programme (bake off :o) on IPlayer. If I carry on doing that, will they know? Do they know who's watching Iplayer? I've heard some people say they have ways of knowing, and other people say it's impossible, and all I know is that as much as I love bake off it's not worth paying £145 to watch.

I don't think they "know". Why would almost every TVL case be based on a confession obtained by fair means (and sometimes foul means) if they "knew"?

I can't condone evasion, so I'd suggest using one of the remaining loopholes:-

- Watch elsewhere where there is a Licence.
    - Use the Download loophole to download the programme in a Licensed place and watch it later.
    - Get a friend to download it for you and transfer via a DVD, USB stick or even through some kind of cloud storage (you/they will need get_iplayer for this).
  • Cornucopia
    Options
    itstheone wrote: »
    I doubt they'd believe you don't watch the live channels on NowTV if you're capable of receiving them.
    AIUI you can remove apps from Now TV. If not, you could block the iPlayer URLs. I'd be surprised if they even looked at the box in detail, still less tried to access any live channels having failed to access iPlayer.
    If you let them in you'll get a summons.
    You'd normally need to sign the confession before that stage. So... don't sign the confession. Do insist on your Right to Silence and your Right to Counsel (to consult a Solicitor).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure