MSE News: You'll need a TV licence to use iPlayer from 1 September this year

Options

Comments

• VisionMan
    VisionMan Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just wondering... what exactly are people watching on BBC that they would start paying £145/year for???

I don't understand.
    Just wondering... what exactly are people watching on SKY that they would start paying up to £1100 a year for???

I don't understand either.
  • VisionMan
    Options
    :sad:

I did just mean for catch-up viewers, who would now pay the TV license fee I]JUST[/I to use BBC iPlayer.

Please do continue though...

In short, no one. Which is why this change has happened. And a long overdue one it is.
  • VeGGie-STyLe
    Options
    VisionMan wrote: »
    In short, no one. Which is why this change has happened. And a long overdue one it is.

This makes no sense to me.

Nobody would pay.... which is the reason for it happening?
    Huh?!
  • VisionMan
    Options
    This makes no sense to me.

Nobody would pay

Thats what I said. Sorry you don't understand. Catch Up with you later.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,179 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 8 September 2016 at 12:29AM
    Options
    I think VisionMan is saying that under the old rules, those people who were only using iPlayer could have bought a Licence anyway, but (presumably) they didn't. And as a result, the Powers That Be decided to make them.

There are a number of issues with that proposition:-

- We don't know whether any iPlayer-only viewers did buy Licences. There must have been a few. More importantly, I suspect that the BBC didn't know, and therefore wasn't well positioned to make this argument.

- There is no magic imperative that requires that TV viewing needs the permission of the State. The Government could have just said: we're not going to do that any more, go and set up a subscription model. Perhaps they still will?

- People who used to only watch catch-up including iPlayer may decide to continue watching catch-up without iPlayer (or use a legitimate loophole) and still not require a Licence. The BBC will be no better off.

- The upheaval of the law change has confused some people and others are now going without Licences where they had one before. It will be interesting to see the long-term effect once things have settled down.
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just wondering... what exactly are people watching on SKY that they would start paying up to £1100 a year for???

I don't understand either.

:rotfl::rotfl: brilliant
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • VisionMan
    Options
    Cornucopia

Please don't put words into my mouth, because I said no such thing.

If you clearly want to put your own opinion forward, fine. But please don't attempt to put mine.
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So the other channels are still alright to watch without license for now? The students in the family are worried as there are rumours spreading in the Uni communities re 4oD...
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • Cornucopia
    Options
    Cornucopia

Please don't put words into my mouth, because I said no such thing.

If you clearly want to put your own opinion forward, fine. But please don't attempt to put mine.

If you're going to be "funny" with other forum members who are asking a simple question, then you need to expect others to extrapolate on what you've said.

If you want to put your own views forward, just do it.
  • Cornucopia
    Options
    Happygreen wrote: »
    So the other channels are still alright to watch without license for now? The students in the family are worried as there are rumours spreading in the Uni communities re 4oD...

All the other channels' catch-up services are okay.

4oD is now called All4.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport