People making fun of you

in Compers Chat Corner
41 replies 6.6K views

Replies

• janE1956janE1956 Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    comping better than walking the street collecting pokemon! I get lots of messages to play games on f/b but if i see the person i explain i don't have time to play games as too busy comping
  • BlueBellaBlueBella Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We should tell those friends or family members that mock us that we are giving up comping and taking up a new hobby........

......'I have suddenly become fascinated in secondhand items so from now on, my new hobby is going to be trawling all the carboot sales, jumble sales and charity shops in my spare time with the aim of purchasing all my birthday and Christmas gifts for family members and friends! It will be so much easier shopping for secondhand gifts than trying to win brand new gifts!' .....

......and let's see what their response will be then! hee hee!
    :TA big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter :smileyhea
  • MisslayedMisslayed Forumite, Board Guide
    10.3K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlueBella wrote: »
    We should tell those friends or family members that mock us that we are giving up comping and taking up a new hobby........

......'I have suddenly become fascinated in secondhand items so from now on, my new hobby is going to be trawling all the carboot sales, jumble sales and charity shops in my spare time with the aim of purchasing all my birthday and Christmas gifts for family members and friends! It will be so much easier shopping for secondhand gifts than trying to win brand new gifts!' .....

......and let's see what their response will be then! hee hee!

I wonder if their presents would then 'count' more, if you've actually paid (a very small amount of) money for them?
    Although my sister, the Queen of the Car Boot and charity shop, has a very much appreciated present buying style. She finds the most appropriate, funny, vintage, luxury, matching stuff - much effort little cash, and combines it with a bottle from a supermarket - little effort, more cash.
    My family can like it or lump it, they know I'm a comper but I don't think they know just how much time I spend doing it. :blushing:It's their choice, bottle of designer fragrance, or a chocolate orange, which is all I could afford otherwise! No complaints so far.
    Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a Board Guide on the Competitions, Site Feedback and Campaigns boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • BlueBellaBlueBella Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another alternative is to say 'I am taking up baking cakes as my new hobby and from now on I plan to bake a nice little personalised cake to give as a birthday/Christmas gifts to family and friends and will even make and decorate my own pretty gift boxes to present them in!' :D
    :TA big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter :smileyhea
  • deb2112deb2112 Forumite
    380 Posts
    The way I see it, all the people who say "no-one ever wins competitions" aren't going to enter, which suits me fine as it increases the odds for the rest of us. You see questions on here from new compers all the time who have massively unrealistic expectations. I'm quite sure half of them give it a go for a couple of weeks and then give up because huge wins haven't flooded in. I'm always thrilled, whatever I win. I have a tiny perfume sample in my handbag that turned up unexpectedly a few weeks ago. It is gorgeous and I love it and without comping I wouldn't have it. Your attitude is perfect. It is a fun hobby and if you're lucky enough to win something, that's a bonus.
  • LydhigLydhig Forumite
    17 Posts
    You have to be in it to win it!
  • Glamourpuss23Glamourpuss23 Forumite
    352 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    My mum sniggered at me doing comps in the beginning. Until my first win which was £200 Asda vouchers and a £150 cheque followed and then the sniggers turned to jealousy lol
  • velocity_girlvelocity_girl Forumite
    963 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I don't tell anyone. I only talked about it with my now ex, who told my immediate family. My family think it's great and are always asking if I've won anything recently but I never bring it up. My ex told me I was sad even after giving him hundreds of pounds worth of vouchers and an iPad I'd won. Go figure.
    2018 wins: Aspinal of London jewellery box, Boudavida gym outfit, HP Pavilion laptop, The List party tickets, All Points East festival tickets, Kiehls moisturiser, By Terry cc serum, Nars Liquid Bronzer, Benefit highlighter, Nars illuminator, Fresh advanced lip trio set, Cetaphil sample set, signed copy of My Absolute Darling by Gabriel Tallent
  • NBLondonNBLondon Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a die-hard comper - more of a fill in the time when work is slack comper - and I only go for things I would like to win / know someone I could share it with. My family and close friends know but luckily they seem to enjoy when something is shared and I've never had the problem of "that's not a proper present".

It was difficult to hide when I won a private pod on the London Eye and had to find 15 people to come with me...
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • I am lucky my family and friends love it when I win something as they benefit from my prizes

They even ask if I have had a win

This year most my wins have been books

But I did win uk holiday break this year

I have been doing competitions for over 30 years now and I still find it a fun hobby
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides