People making fun of you

in Compers Chat Corner
41 replies 6.6K views

Replies

• BlueBellaBlueBella Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Then my sister told me that if I gave her a £600 designer handbag for her birthday then she'd know I won it so it "wouldn't count" and I'd also have to buy her something as well. Now I enter to win so that if I do I can sell the item for as much as I can get, then spend the £30-£50 I would have spent on her anyway.

:eek: If my sister had said that to me then I would have sold the designer bag and used the money to buy her a tea-bag for her birthday and spent the rest of the money on a holiday for myself!:D
    :TA big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter :smileyhea
  • C0nfusedC0nfused Forumite
    147 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Ha, even worse than that is when it "doesn't count". I used to enter to win things that I had no interest in but that I knew my family would like, e.g. expensive makeup, designer clothes and bags etc with the intention of giving them as birthday presents if I ever got lucky enough to win one.

Then my sister told me that if I gave her a £600 designer handbag for her birthday then she'd know I won it so it "wouldn't count" and I'd also have to buy her something as well. Now I enter to win so that if I do I can sell the item for as much as I can get, then spend the £30-£50 I would have spent on her anyway.

I don't see the difference between buying something small that I think she might like and wasting way more then £50 worth of my time entering competitions for things I don't want that I think she might like - but apparently it's not the thought that counts, it's the fact you spent the money personally.

Oh my day's that is so rude! One of my husband's grown up children once got real nasty because of 'how much (or should I say how little) we had spent on her Christmas present' as if we were meat to be made of money and able to spend a fortune on his three children AND partners AND the ever increasing number of grandchildren. From then on I made a point of buying her stuff that made it look like I was spending a lot more than I was for as little as possible, and would ONLY buy stuff that there was NO WAY that she would find out the cost.. It clearly worked because she hasn't complained since...
    June 2016 Wins: £64 Argos Voucher :j July 2016 Wins: £25 Cash :j
  • jaibabyjaibaby Forumite
    4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    My friends and family still do it to me, after 4 years. I ignore it whilst using my iPhone that I won, watching my 3D TV I won, whilst the lovely presents I have stashed away for them for Christmas (that I won) are things I could never have afforded.

I put it down to jealousy, as most of them have a dab at comping but give it up after a week because they've won nothing :rotfl::eek:

Just carry on and enjoy yourself!
    Thanks to all posters :A
  • MisslayedMisslayed Forumite, Board Guide
    10.4K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't you just hate "Oh you're so lucky, I never win anything" Asked how many competitions they've entered lately -"None, no point, I never win".
    Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a Board Guide on the Competitions, Site Feedback and Campaigns boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • prowlaprowla Forumite
    12.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won £50 in Shell vouchers a couple of weeks ago, from the Aviva comp; I filled up my car on the weekend with only £6 to pay.
  • Ha, even worse than that is when it "doesn't count"...

Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face :rotfl: I won something recently that I unfortunately had to sell as we were low on money. An in-law caused WWIII as she felt she should've been given it and apparently she'll "never forget this" now. People are strange, when you're a comper...
  • hamsterfan1hamsterfan1 Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    my mother-in-law always says to me you're so lucky ( like when I won a top which was not the size marked so I gave it to her) If only - had a bad year until this month when I've had wnough goodreads wins to have an urgent TBR pile
    proud gran to 4 lovely boys and one little girl
  • Onmyway2Onmyway2 Forumite
    271 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭
    I generally don't talk about it unless I've won something big but I don't care if they mock me. I'm a single working Mum on not much money and because of my hobby I've been able to take the kids for a VIP WWE experience, a holiday, archery & lots of days out they wouldn't have had otherwise.
    Stuff 'em!
    House deposit saved: 39%
    Reducing spending - Gifts 2020: £1020.49, 2021: £19.29 so far...
  • edited 26 July 2016 at 7:54AM
    CK1223CK1223 Forumite
    515 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts I won, I won, I won!
    ✭✭
    edited 26 July 2016 at 7:54AM
    When I first started comping I would talk to anyone about it IF it came up in conversation. It's gotten me a bit of a name of skint-flint amongst my friends/partner's friends though so now I just keep schtum.
    The only person who genuinely seems interested in my comping hobby is my boss (probably as most of my WEMs come during the working day and I'm sat next to him so will tell him what I won). At least once a week he'll say "won anything lately? It's been a bit quiet for you, you need to win something!!".
  • BlueBellaBlueBella Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I comp and keep quiet basically. I keep a list of all the family members I buy gifts for throughout the year (eg birthdays, Christmas) and if I win a prize that I know they would like, I put it away in my 'prize cupboard' and write the name of the prize beside their name on my list to remind me. The list is only seen by me and my 'prize cupboard' is kept locked so no one knows who gets gifts that were bought for them or won for them. When I win prizes, I never even tell my own family, including my kids! Yes, they all know I comp a little but they don't know how much time I spend comping or how much I win and I prefer to keep it that way. :)

There are prizes I win too that I often give to my children straight away - eg. a dvd or a book, and for those prizes I do usually say 'I won this for you', and thankfully I always get a hug and 'yeah! Thanks mam - I love it' :)
    :TA big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter :smileyhea
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides