People making fun of you

in Compers Chat Corner
41 replies 6.6K views
Lukeyc123Lukeyc123 Forumite
6 Posts
Fourth Anniversary
MoneySaving Newbie
Hi guys, I'm a fairly new comper, being doing it for just over 4 months now. Only won 2 things which were instant wins. Due to only winning these two small things my family and some friends make jokes about it and say im wasting my time no one ever wins competitions.

Now my question is, how do you deal with people making jokes about you due to comping. Obviously they'd stop if I won something big but it honestly makes it harder to comp cos then I feel like whats the point.

Replies

• towser44towser44 Forumite
    589 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Show them the I won section of this forum!
    :easter:
  • izbiz88izbiz88 Forumite
    136 Posts
    They probably wouldn't stop if you won something big - the only reason people make fun of those they supposedly care about is down to their own jealousies and insecurities. I've won some awesome prizes since I started comping and I still get people rolling their eyes at me when it's mentioned (I hardly ever bring it up myself, so its not that I'm always on about it!). You just need to try not to care, leave them to their own negativity. Haters gonna hate bro! :cool:
  • Lukeyc123Lukeyc123 Forumite
    6 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary
    MoneySaving Newbie
    izbiz88 wrote: »
    They probably wouldn't stop if you won something big - the only reason people make fun of those they supposedly care about is down to their own jealousies and insecurities. I've won some awesome prizes since I started comping and I still get people rolling their eyes at me when it's mentioned (I hardly ever bring it up myself, so its not that I'm always on about it!). You just need to try not to care, leave them to their own negativity. Haters gonna hate bro! :cool:

That is true they'd probably be annoyed that they was wrong. Yeah I never bring it up either, usually may come up in conversation though if they've seen me share something for example. Thanks though you're right, doesn't really bother me if I win either I see it more like a hobby so I shouldn't let people put me down doing something I enjoy.
  • sammi86sammi86 Forumite
    505 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    When you win something big, tell everyone they cant share it with you :D.

People who dont understand will make comments and pass judgement. But just carry on comping and dont let everyone elses negativity affect what you like doing.

As a side point, only a few people know that i comp as a hobby. Been comping for over 10 years and my best friend only found out about it 6 months ago. I dont feel the need to tell anyone to be honest. Just let them think im rich with all my new stuff haha :D
  • sleepyjonessleepyjones Forumite
    6K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    People collect stamps ... or Pokemon! ... spot trains ... spot planes ... spot birds ... all manner of things, all of which are completely and utterly pointless and a total waste of time and effort in my opinion, each to their own ... at least with comping there's that slim chance that'll you'll get something in return for your efforts.

Their negativity should drive you on to win something nice and prove them all wrong. You've had 2 small wins, what have they had?
  • How do you deal with it? Enter MORE competitions and increase your chances of winning!

Being sneered at for entering comps isn't the worst thing though, it's when the same people feel entitled to your prize because you got it for 'free'. I experienced a case of the green-eyed monster recently and it was awful. They'll all take a sudden interest when you win something big.
  • gardner1gardner1
    3.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    My father used to get same sort of response from people.......but would remind them of the £25000 . 4 holidays plus numerous smaller prizes he won over 20yrs

Keep at it......you've got to be in it to win it
  • edited 25 July 2016 at 11:22AM
    cristalfionacristalfiona Forumite
    201 Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭
    edited 25 July 2016 at 11:22AM
    Being sneered at for entering comps isn't the worst thing though, it's when the same people feel entitled to your prize because you got it for 'free'. I experienced a case of the green-eyed monster recently and it was awful. They'll all take a sudden interest when you win something big.

Ha, even worse than that is when it "doesn't count". I used to enter to win things that I had no interest in but that I knew my family would like, e.g. expensive makeup, designer clothes and bags etc with the intention of giving them as birthday presents if I ever got lucky enough to win one.

Then my sister told me that if I gave her a £600 designer handbag for her birthday then she'd know I won it so it "wouldn't count" and I'd also have to buy her something as well. Now I enter to win so that if I do I can sell the item for as much as I can get, then spend the £30-£50 I would have spent on her anyway.

I don't see the difference between buying something small that I think she might like and wasting way more then £50 worth of my time entering competitions for things I don't want that I think she might like - but apparently it's not the thought that counts, it's the fact you spent the money personally.
  • Lukeyc123Lukeyc123 Forumite
    6 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Yeah I've decided I'm not gonna let what people say bother me, there's many things they do which I think are pointless like browsing facebook all day. There's nothing wrong with it as I used to do that but I feel better using my time more productively comping.

Thanks for all the advice guys!
  • BlueyezBlueyez Forumite
    3K Posts
    Then my sister told me that if I gave her a £600 designer handbag for her birthday then she'd know I won it so it "wouldn't count" and I'd also have to buy her something as well. Now I enter to win so that if I do I can sell the item for as much as I can get, then spend the £30-£50 I would have spent on her anyway.

If someone gave me a designer bag, I wouldn't look the gift horse in the mouth! win or not! I won a designer bag and purse last year just before mothers day and gave to her along with flowers I bought her-she knew where the purse and bag came from but still loved them-keeps showing them off! Now I'm trying to win one for me :)
    2018 wins-12wins
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides