People making fun of you

in Compers Chat Corner
41 replies 6.6K views

Replies

• CK1223CK1223 Forumite
    515 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts I won, I won, I won!
    ✭✭
    BlueBella wrote: »
    I keep a list of all the family members I buy gifts for throughout the year (eg birthdays, Christmas) and if I win a prize that I know they would like, I put it away in my 'prize cupboard'

I have a prize cupboard too! I'm really useless at it though - last year I gave my cousin (who hasn't bought me a Christmas present for over 10 years) a really nice prize for Christmas, it was worth over £100. I thought "ah well it'll save me money this way!", when in hindsight I should have just spent the usual tenner on her and kept the lovely set for myself. I didn't even get a thank you text from her :rotfl:
    Will have to be more savvy this year
  • BlueBellaBlueBella Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CK1223 wrote: »
    I have a prize cupboard too! I'm really useless at it though - last year I gave my cousin (who hasn't bought me a Christmas present for over 10 years) a really nice prize for Christmas, it was worth over £100. I thought "ah well it'll save me money this way!", when in hindsight I should have just spent the usual tenner on her and kept the lovely set for myself. I didn't even get a thank you text from her :rotfl:
    Will have to be more savvy this year

I love having a list as some years I don't have to buy many presents throughout the year as I have won most of them. I do also love to win treats for myself though as I see them as a reward for my comping :p

You do have to be organised though!
    :TA big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter :smileyhea
  • BlueyezBlueyez Forumite
    3K Posts
    BlueBella wrote: »
    I comp and keep quiet basically. I keep a list of all the family members I buy gifts for throughout the year (eg birthdays, Christmas) and if I win a prize that I know they would like, I put it away in my 'prize cupboard' and write the name of the prize beside their name on my list to remind me. The list is only seen by me and my 'prize cupboard' is kept locked so no one knows who gets gifts that were bought for them or won for them. When I win prizes, I never even tell my own family, including my kids! Yes, they all know I comp a little but they don't know how much time I spend comping or how much I win and I prefer to keep it that way. :)

There are prizes I win too that I often give to my children straight away - eg. a dvd or a book, and for those prizes I do usually say 'I won this for you', and thankfully I always get a hug and 'yeah! Thanks mam - I love it' :)

I keep quiet about what I do, however being part of 'generation stuck at home' means everyone knows you're business :( and my family are gossipers. I always hope a prize arrives when no-one else is here, which sadly doesn't always happen- Grrrr. I do give away or share most of my prizes, I don't really mind (kids stuff is always a brilliant win) So far I have a Nerf Gun and mask and £200 worth of Lego which I've put away for Christmas for someone I know who will love them. I got my mum two pairs of summer shoes, my sister slippers and myself two pairs and two scarves with shoe vouchers I won in April-It's great to be able to treat people to things I couldn't afford to splash out on. little prizes get shared out pretty much straight away- usually a bit of a ruckus on who gets what,without asking me what I'm doing with the prize I won!(my three siblings arguing over who gets the horned Viking hat and a Hobbit t-shirt a few years ago still makes me laugh)
    2018 wins-12wins
  • Cathp808Cathp808 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Wow I can't believe how ungrateful people are. We have to put a lot of hours and effort into winning that one prize.
    "And may the odds be ever in your favor."
    :kisses2: :kisses: :j :beer: :rotfl::T
  • sdiscodivasdiscodiva Forumite
    3 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Its strange how people react. I've been comping for over ten years I've won all sorts from big wins to small. However I only tell my family and friends but I don't go on mainly because all I've won this year is a lip balm. Its the mates that bring it up and tell people oh she wins everything. you should enter this and that you'll win. The most shocking reaction was handing my mate a nice birthday present and I got did you win this as she was opening it (I never!!)

I've handed out wins to friends and family over the years sometimes telling them I won it other times adding things to birthday presents and not saying I won it. Just find it strange that some mates think everything I give on a birthday or Christmas I've won (I haven't)

Now I keep more quiet and just comp away, best of luck to all who comps ... keep entering who cares what people think nothing better than a winning email or a surprise parcel in the post beats a bill any day x
  • sarah182xxxsarah182xxx Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture I won, I won, I won!
    ✭✭✭
    People can be so strange x Nothing wrong with anybody's hobby so long as you enjoy it and it doesn't harm anyone ! Just ignore them :)

My brother used to say the same to me and then the week after he mocked me I won the holiday to Venice and a snazzy TV !
    Hope you win something big soon
    xx
    :j First prizes back into comping after a break - romantic break to 2 to Venice/ Paris or Rome with romantic trip and a 42 inch TV and blu Ray amazing !

Thank you all so much and good luck guys and girls xxxxxx
  • hdh74hdh74 Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You'll never win anything, it's all a con.
    You're so lucky, you win everything.
    I would love you to win me....
    Ah but it's not a proper pressie you won it.

Nope, you can't win....
    2018 - £562  2019 - £130 2020 - £276  2021 - £97
  • edited 27 July 2016 at 9:04AM
    oldskoolcomperoldskoolcomper Forumite
    10 Posts
    edited 27 July 2016 at 9:04AM
    Keep going until you win something massive, that will shut them up.

Hopefully a holiday for 2 to somewhere amazing, at which point you get to decide which one of your friends and family has not ridiculed you and invite them as your companion.

Success is the best form of revenge, as they say.

I've just returned to 'comping' after having entered literally everything on this forum between 2007 and 2009, don't understand why I ever quit to be honest.

Among the things that I won over a couple of years were:

1. A holiday for 2 to Barcelona
    2. A trip to watch Chelsea in the Champions League Quarter Final in Istanbul, I flew on a private jet with the Chelsea squad and stayed in a sultans palace drinking free £50 glasses of red wine (every glass of red I've had since has tasted terrible). Money can't buy experience.
    3. £1000
    4. An Apple Mac
    5. A holiday for 4 to Magaluf, which I couldn't take because it clashed with prize number two in the list.
    6. A media player gadget thing worth £500
    7. Two VIP tickets to watch the Kaiser Chiefs (they were big at the time).
    8. A smartphone worth £300.

And probably loads of other stuff I can't remember.

It looks like the game is more competitive now, but I found sharing lots of competitions and getting loads of kudos worked very well for my karma (I'm laying my old account to rest, it has almost 100,000 'thanks' from my old comping days, but I am identifiable by the username).

Good luck.
    Just in it for the travel. Comping has taken me to:
    Istanbul - Barcelona - Magaluf
  • SherlockFan85SherlockFan85 Forumite
    483 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    OP, I TOTALLY understand where you're coming from on this, people can be truly thoughtless.

What do I think of these people who take the mick out of our hobby?

1) You have nothing better to do? Seriously mate, go do something, it's boring.

2) Oh so you're not to going to enter then? OK great so I'll just win the thing and you can continue to pay for your things while I enjoy my prizes, laterz!!
    Make £2019 in 2019 No 153 - £4517.17/£2019
  • BlueBellaBlueBella Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What do I think of these people who take the mick out of our hobby?

I completely agree with you regarding people not seeing comping as a hobby. If you were to tell someone you enjoy embroidery, or gardening, baking or collecting teapots for example, you are very unlikely to get any snide comments!

"A hobby an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure." (dictionary)

"A hobby is a regular activity that is done for enjoyment, typically during one's leisure time. Hobbies can include collecting themed items and objects, engaging in creative and artistic pursuits, playing sports, or pursuing other amusements." (Wiki)

So comping can be a hobby and enjoyed just as much as any other hobby! So let the snide commenters/jealous friends/family members etc who mock us for persuing our hobby - stick that in their pipes and smoke it! :rotfl:
    :TA big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter :smileyhea
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides