Options

Comments

• *Robin*
    *Robin* Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    Just seen this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40316934

If I'd chosen the Western route we'd have driven straight into that!
    ..Those poor people; I weep for their terror at such an ending, and again for the many souls lost in Grenfell Tower. :cry:
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    Thank goodness you didn't choose (were guided against??) that route. RIP to the poor souls caught up in it Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • *Robin*
    Options
    Thank you Lucky.. Needed a reminder that I too am lucky today.. Checked the route-planner against Portuguese news, and yes I'd have taken that road through the forest to get to the motorway, and we would have been there last night.

So our trials on the Northern route are back in perspective. Aircon coped until temp hit 40'C; it kept rising so at 41.5'C Musketeer and I stopped and found an overgrown, abandoned shady garden to wait out the worst of it. The forecast reckoned it would be slightly cooler today but my thermometer got to 47.5'C while we were hiding under what must once have been a lovely kids' tree-house.

Back on the road the van has felt odd for the last hundred miles; too bouncy, like a Renault.. Am having dark thoughts about the engine mounts which were not changed when I bought it (one was replaced). Also the habitation water pump seems to have packed up - no shower tonight - fortunately decided to bring all the bottles I could find filled with beautiful spring water from the Nest's well; with any luck it'll last until we get somewhere cool enough to contemplate getting out the spanners.. :o
    As for the query on engine mounts.. Think I might change direction if I can, and go for the shortest drive possible. Do have recovery insurance but would prefer to get back to Blighty under me own steam!

Not sure where we are now; overlooking a lake somewhere North of Madrid. Got a nasty headache from setting sun shining in my eyes - parked up next to a couple of cement trucks and a broken-down car, behind a garage. Going to bed rather than take pills; hope garage owner won't mind, and broken car owner's baby stops howling (poor little thing!).

Chev - not forgotten my promise, but will try again tomorrow. Not thinking straight now.

Nitenite all. xx
  • Bubblesmum
    Bubblesmum Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Dearest Robin

Sorry, been only dropping in occasionally to MSE, trying to concentrate on RL responsibilities.

Firstly, going back to your post long ago about, muscles becoming frozen and unable to move, no I have not experienced that, with cerebral palsy you get muscle weakness and spasming, for me in the form of twitching. I echo the words of Chev. This summer have an MOT on you....

CHEV does make very valid comments, I often think that you take more care of all things, human, canine and motorised than yourself....

Praying you have a safe and healthy journey...

PS Ear Rubs for M and :eek: to claws on boobs

PPS :mad: to the council and so much automation and lack of human practical support and common sense
    As a dear MSE friend says “keep plodding” or
    What does the saying say.... When life hands you lemons, crack open the Gin......
    Or as my Mum would instil, brush yourself down, tomorrow is another day or
    Fake it, to you Make It

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5681736/dancing-through-the-rain-with-a-smile-and-good-cheer#latest
  • Dansmam
    Dansmam Posts: 677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dear Robin
    Well, what a lot is going on on here��. Just back from the rainy Hebrides so heat has not been the issue it's being for you and dear Musketeer. Many rabbits so Lurcher lad had a literal field day! Another one here who thinks there was a guiding hand taking you north not west x
    Hope your journey will become more fun as you travel northwards.
    I'll not hijack your thread on the topic of councils except to say it's been my life and I do get pretty �� when we all get lumped into the incompetent and deliberately unhelpful category. I have found many other organisations - banks for example, much more unreasonable myself ��. Bless helpful man - that's how I try to be and I'm not alone x
    Good thoughts for the health of van - and it's occupants. And cooling thoughts for you all too x
    What's your eta back home?
    I have borrowed from my future self
    The banks are not our friends
  • *Robin*
    Options
    Chev was right; putting the interests of others first has landed me in a steaming great pile of poo today!
    ..Would welcome any positive vibes going spare for the next hour - will explain later when I know whether or not it has been possible to find a solution. :cool:
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Oh Robin, everything possible crossed for you and M.

MM
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Dansmam
    Dansmam Posts: 677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sending all the positive thoughts vibes and loads of luck. Hope they get through and do the trick - nil desperandum, all will come good for you and quickly I hope x
    I have borrowed from my future self
    The banks are not our friends
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    Hope you are ok Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • Bubblesmum
    Bubblesmum Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Echo hope you are both OK and a solution has been found, thoughts and prayers x
    As a dear MSE friend says “keep plodding” or
    What does the saying say.... When life hands you lemons, crack open the Gin......
    Or as my Mum would instil, brush yourself down, tomorrow is another day or
    Fake it, to you Make It

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5681736/dancing-through-the-rain-with-a-smile-and-good-cheer#latest
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure