Blowing in the Winds of Change

Options

Comments

• stepuptothepl8
    Options
    I'm so pleased that M has stayed infection free. He is very lucky to have found you.
    Do look after yourself x
    LBM 1st Feb 2015 £18182 to go :o
    my diary: time to step up to the plate. SPC#079
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,312 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    So pleased Muskateer has been given a clean bill of health and has a passport all ready for adventures :) A very lucky dog indeed.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • *Robin*
    *Robin* Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Stoptober Survivor
    edited 11 June 2017 at 2:38PM
    Options
    Thank you for your kind words, Stepup and Sun.A. :T

Still piling stuff in bags, transferring to Trannie then onwards to camper-van. Gardener donned his overalls again to check out the latter; all looks good, fit for the road. :)

Long term plans may have to change again following last week's election, which had one immediate unwanted personal effect; property prices seem to be in free-fall. Flat buyer tried to reduce his offer too far so agent has started viewings again - the whole process is beginning to feel like wading through treacle. Usually this is a sign to find another path..

Hardly dare mention it but we have dangerous weather warnings today, about heat rather than storms. It's a very pleasant 26' at the Nest but predicted to go well over 40' along our route North. Musketeer tried on CD's old cool coat but wasn't impressed, confirming my decision to wait until this front passes.
    M is - like it or not - going to use another piece of CD's kit in the camper-van; her crate. He still gets very nervous when I'm out of sight, with a tendency to either dig himself a den in any available soft furnishings, or chew some handy woodwork. There will inevitably be times when I have to pay for fuel or nip into a shop without him for a few minutes, and am not prepared to risk him damaging the habitation area. Thankfully the van's cooling system and insulation mean it will be safe to leave Musketeer inside for short periods, unlike a car.

Am [STRIKE]somewhat[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]rather[/STRIKE] most enervated today; woke up even more tired than when I went to bed. :o
    All the pleasure of preparing for a trip has gone; I used to sort out everything into bags and boxes, DH and the boys would pack the van - it was so much fun together, but now just feels like a slog.
    Ah, well.
    Wish I could find more of those truckers' energy pills, but think they've all been used up while sorting out previous projects.

Am grateful for a cooling breeze today, for not being completely flat fighting ME symptoms, also for not having a deadline when we must set off.

Spends:
    Parking - £54
    Wages Gardener - £35
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,312 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Just go when you're ready if there's no rush. I feel for you looking back on happier times xx Onwards and upwards Robin :)
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    Safe travels whenever they happen Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,843 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I still lurk to read of your adventures, all I can say is take you time in sorting out where / where you go etc.
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • *Robin*
    edited 14 June 2017 at 4:54PM
    Options
    Ought to be washing up, hoovering, tidying, double-checking paperwork.. Well I will do all that [probably], after waking up a bit more. Meanwhile watching today's sadness on tv; much kudos to the emergency services (hope the Tories now change their minds about closing even more fire stations and A&E departments!). :cry:

Sun.A - thanks for your comment, needed to read "there's no rush" at that moment. Helped me find m' metaphorical big-girl pants and push on. :)

Lucky - thanks; fingers crossed, eh? :)

Kazwookie - thank you very much for de-lurking, it's really encouraging to hear from folk rather than just wonder who is reading.. :)
    You're right though, now camper-van is almost packed am beginning to worry about which route would be best (the least oven-like ;)).

Musketeer and I went to the Parking last night after our walk. Their attack-trained GSD guard dogs were already loose so M had to stay inside the van with me, while I rearranged cupboards and made a table to cover exposed batons between my bed and his. Suspect we may argue later, because when I tried to show M his place he took one look then curled up on my side! :rotfl:

Reckon we've eaten enough of the Nest's freezer contents for the rest to fit into camper-van's fridge. Enjoyed a few 'interesting' meal combinations recently as stocks have got lower. Decided to take more store-cupboard stuff with me this time - all helps when cash is tight.

Right. Better go and do something I can be thankful for later..

Spends:
    Topping up bill-paying a/c - £380
  • *Robin*
    edited 15 June 2017 at 4:54PM
    Options
    Had to edit yesterday's post to remove my angry reaction after some disappointing financial news. Dealing with it was an exercise in mindfulness - watching that building burn provided a very good reminder as to what is really important in life!
    Family upset has been sorted out now, although am left with absolutely no income for the foreseeable and possibly not enough cash for the journey. For just an occasion as this I held onto a handful of empty credit cards.. Finding their secret numbers could be a problem though. :o

So, Musketeer's dinner now consists of defrosted raw sausages in stale bread-thickened beef mince gravy, garnished with lettuce. I'm on pasta, broad-beans, garden tomatoes and grated cheese.

Time to go.

Which way? There is a choice of three directions:
    1. North. The quickest and cheapest in fuel costs, but also the hottest for longest (into high 40s for maybe 500 miles).
    2. West. Very hot 200 mile dash to start, then bad or minor roads for another 250 miles. Not familiar with this route or competent in the language.
    3. East. Roughly twice the length of option 1. Coast roads so should be a little cooler but not sure I'll have enough energy to drive to my first 'safe place' where friends live, without having a major ME flare-up on the road. Also means getting through a noted crime hot-spot (camper-vans often targeted).

Can't decide.. :think:
  • *Robin*
    Options
    Turns out the "bad financial news" which upset me the other day is even worse than first thought: Have been prosecuted in my absence and - can't find out until offices open - probably now have a ccj! :mad:

Floored. :(
  • *Robin*
    Options
    Ok, and - breathe!

Called council payment line: Wrong department, put on hold for transfer - connection dropped.
    Called leaseholder services: Wrong department, put on hold for transfer - connection dropped.
    Called council tax advice line: By this time in tears, begged the guy not to put me on hold! Bless the fella - he listened, found the account and then revealed that yet again they have lost all the paperwork [which has been sent in twice] - and are prosecuting DH, not me!

Well, good luck with that one - idiots!

Pressure off for now as the guy would not let me pay. Have been making payments over the 'phone for more than five years without anyone commenting that my card isn't in the same name as the account holder... How come?

Spends:
    Camper-van insurance - £320
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family