LBM 1st Feb 2015 £18182 to go :o
    my diary: time to step up to the plate. SPC#079
  • *Robin*
    *Robin* Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Stoptober Survivor
    edited 27 July 2017 at 7:09AM
    Options
    Hello MSE World, :hello:

Have been crazy tired since getting back; dog and relatives and tenants and neighbours taken up all my attention - so sorry..
    Dog swings between being loving, loyal and amazing - protected me from the very unwelcome attentions of a stalker-type character the other day - to exasperating - trying to kill men he sees as threatening but who really aren't, eg., cyclists, joggers, hobby fishermen. <sigh>
    Joined an on-line training group for advice & support, but following their pro-trainer's recommendation to use a box-muzzle resulted in our worst experience so far; utterly uncontrollable Musketeer who almost dumped me in the river (after leaping up aggressively at every single adult male who got within two metres of him)!
    I would seriously like to strangle whoever [STRIKE]abused[/STRIKE] tortured this dog in his previous life!
    Will not give up on him; with me, women, kids, other dogs and men who are my friends he is sweet and gentle. His manners indoors are impeccable, and he seems to understand that his job is to pull me when we are out which vastly increases my capacity for exercise, to very beneficial effect; the worrying cardiac symptoms have almost completely subsided, I have legs that don't look like tree-trunks any more and can stand up without having to worry I'll pass out so assume my blood pressure is no longer dangerously low.
    Unfortunately taking out M uses up almost all m' available energy so am spending a lot of time in between walks either prostrate or asleep.. Hence lack of recent updates.
    No Chev, have not been to annoy the GP - we both know there's nothing he can do, no allopathic treatment available for ME and what's affecting me are undoubtedly long-termer ME symptoms. One day it will be recognised as a very similar illness to MS and ALS - probably not in time to be of any use to me though.

Local relatives vary between ignorance, indifference and abuse which I have decided I will no longer tolerate, so am keeping frustrating contacts to a minimum. They can make of it what they will.
    Tenants are easier to deal with: The young academics at NH are fine, only one has moved on but there is a couch-surfer in situ who wants the vacant room - that's up to DS4 when he gets back; am happy sleeping in camper-van anyway so told Surfer he can stay in what is nominally my room for now.
    Tenant Two rescinded their notice at the last minute; luckily nobody else was lined up to take over as I was planning to spruce up the place a bit before re-letting. It's been a few years since we painted homehome, and there are bound to be a few niggles T2 haven't mentioned. Still, nothing major as far as I know - had a quick look inside last week.

Still waiting for DH's flat sale to complete - purchaser oscillates between demanding immediate action and fast resolution to silence for weeks. Am leaving the process in the hands of our reassuringly competent solicitor because can't cope with the extra stress of their stop-start behaviour.
    Does mean am still pretty broke though. Since writing last have bought half a tank of fuel, done one bulk grocery shop for me and another for the dog. Could do with some waterproof footwear and M needs a new harness, but am balking at those expenses for now.

Am extremely grateful my children are all grown up, capable of looking after themselves and living productive lives without further input from me. Am also grateful for the large tree in NH's front garden next to camper-van's parking space [when we're here]; it's beautiful and bearing the most exquisite unseasonable flowers which are a joy to behold - I spend hours looking at it when unable to move from bed.
    Today finally am grateful that Dear Dentist has time to fit me in at short notice - suspect an abscess is brewing which will require her attention. Not looking forward to the appointment but it's one of those things better dealt with sooner rather than later..

Spends:
    Fuel - £40
    My groceries - £32
    Dog food - £28
  • WeeMidgie
    WeeMidgie Posts: 469 Forumite
    Options
    Dear Robin, I mostly lurk, but as one who has limited amounts of energy and who also experiences post exertional malaise, it's a relief to see your update. As a fellow sufferer, I do worry about you when you go quiet! I suffered from a disbelieving boss, and the pejorative attitudes that you describe. I have recently taken early retirement and I'm in recovery from years of over straining my system!!

I feel for you with M's post traumatic reaction to men in public. It's great he has you, but I share your thoughts about the unforgivable ill treatment in his past which has caused such a response in an otherwise calm and well behaved dog. I'm in need of a bit more walking, but unfortunately a dog isn't possible just now. I'm glad you have your furry friend - despite the behavioural issues he's great company for you, and doggy devotion is a wonderful thing!
  • *Robin*
    edited 29 July 2017 at 9:53AM
    Options
    Weemidgie - fantastic username, btw - thank you for de-lurking but so sorry to hear you have been forced out of a job you obviously enjoyed.. Hope retirement does not also equal penury and you are able to find a better quality of life..
    Thank you also for your words about M - hadn't thought of his behaviour as a form of PTSD but you are right; this realisation will help me to help him..

Musketeer reduced another bed to shreds while crated during my visit to the dentist. Had a peek at him through the window while he was unaware of my presence. Didn't seem at all distressed, just busy making himself a "nest" - exactly as he did on the ferry. Think I'll leave it in his crate this time - only have one more spare for him which is a foam slab, so wouldn't be nearly as satisfying when disembowelled!

Am on antibiotics for a molar root infection. Dentist was surprised I'm not in pain with it, which I can only put down to the anti-inflammatory action of Golden Paste. Luckily still have options although all but extraction will be heavy on the wallet; m' teeth are no longer insured because the policy was only valid in the UK.
    Ah well. Some folk spend ££££ at the hairdresser and regular spa days; my vice is preferring a private dentist - ME allergies mean I'd be toothless by now if relying on NHS treatment.

Yesterday M & I ought to have set out for our next destination but PEM [following Dentist visit] hit so had to postpone.. Feeling better today though, so must get moving; M "helped" with the recycling while I was prostrate by chewing up half a dozen plastic trays** - does minimise the room they take up in the blue bin, but only after I've swept up all the little bits scattered on camper-van's floor! :rotfl:

Am grateful m' PEM has receded this morning, the sun is shining in through van's skylight, and my kefir culture has not given up the ghost while being stored in the fridge (need it to counteract bad effects of antibiotics ;)).

Spends:
    Dentist - £113
    Campsite stock-up + Ingredients for a family feast - £42
    Gas bottles (forgot to note last week) - £48

ETA: ** Should add I don't mind M playing with the recycling - he never actually eats the plastic, which is stored in his toy tray under a seat and gives him no end of entertainment at times when I am forced to be boring/flat.. :)
  • *Robin*
    Options
    Rain pattering down on camper-van's roof is so comforting and soporific.. :) It's been wet all day; roads relatively non-congested, all the boy racers at home getting their kicks more safely on x-boxes perhaps - at any rate everyone was driving cautiously and courteously.

GrandPup was vocally ecstatic when he spotted Musketeer peering out of camper-van's door - M torn between his desire to leap out and greet his best mate, and his utter disgust at the thought of getting wet! He waited patiently until swathed in CD's remodelled Welsh raincoat then - ah then was a hurtling and much leapin' over puddles - the rough play of two healthy young dogs delighted to be reunited and running free! :D
    Waves of heavier rainfall brought the pups inside, manic at first then eventually piled around me - not the most peaceful post-journey siesta but lovely and warm when they finally settled down. We all slept until DS3 and GGF turned up - hence am awake now.. :) Just about.
    Mental To Do lists intertwined with memories of other journeys, years gone by.. Much larger family squashed into a much smaller van; fun and exasperation in equal measures with regular dollops of chaos mixed in - ah, happy days. :)
    Back to the present, must note here: Tomorrow look at banking, pay bills due by the end of the month.
    Now sleep, woman!

Spends:
    Fuel - £41
  • WeeMidgie
    WeeMidgie Posts: 469 Forumite
    edited 30 July 2017 at 7:44AM
    Options
    How lovely to read of the canine friends reunited! And you are with DS3 and GGF. Boo to the antibiotics but the kefir will be great for your gut.

Thanks to you and CD, I started GP early last year, and it was a great help. Funnily enough, I too had a silent (painless) dental abscess. All I noticed was a swelling above the tooth. But I was very run down and felt quite seedy, but it wasn't helped by stress at work. It rumbled on from Autumn last year until April, and disappeared once I retired!

As you surmised, a bit of a bare bones budget with early retirement, but worth it to feel free and happy.

I hope your dental woes are soon sorted.
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,309 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hope the tooth infection gets better very soon. I go to a private dentist, pay monthly via Denplan.

How lovely that Muskateer and grandpup enjoyed being reunited.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • *Robin*
    edited 6 August 2017 at 10:15PM
    Options
    Thanks for posting, WeeMidgie and Sun.A. :T

WeeMidgie - have I understood right; you had an infected tooth which simply resolved by itself? Gosh, that would be the best result for me right now!
    Sun.A - yes, Denplan was the insurance I used to have. Still not sure whether I should have kept it running or not?

Well, Musketeer and I have relocated several times since writing last. Am relying on the solar kit which has problems so often cannot use m' lappy for fear of running out of lights at night! Though often have not had sufficient personal energy to stay awake after dark anyway - Musketeer is using it all keeping him exercised! We've done loads of exploring in beautiful woodlands and countryside right across Southern England, and are currently in Wales with friends old and new. M is getting a lot of attention, and his behaviour is improving in leaps and bounds (literally, every time he spots another dog he'd like to play with! :rotfl:).
    Tomorrow we'll have to move on from this campsite - if I can get out without having to employ a farmer + tractor for a tow! ..Unexpected thunderstorms yesterday have left the field very boggy so am regretting choosing a grass pitch off the main track every time I check the back tyres (are they sinking? Hard to tell - no point in trying to move until the camper in front of me packs up which he said he's doing in the morning).
    DS4 is staying with M & self for the weekend, and we hosted Sunday lunch for another couple on the site which was lovely - they'd obviously been missing oven-cooked meals while on their hols.

Am grateful for the opportunity to forget m' cares these past few days, for the kindness of strangers who are now friends, and that DS4 could spare some time to spend with his ol' Ma. :)

Spends:
    Fuel - £30
    Groceries - £38
    Camping fees & incidentals (collecting Xmas pressies for family ;)) - £75
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,309 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Glad to hear things are running smoothly at the moment (apart from the rain that is).
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • Dansmam
    Dansmam Posts: 677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well hello Robin - I've missed your posts - that's in the literal sense of not spotting them - dunno if the follow function failed - glad to see you've been updating and you've got the energy for camping and a catch up with your DS. PTSD is a brilliant way of describing reactive dog behaviour- hadn't thought of it that way but Lurcher lad was reactive to many things when he first joined us. Men in hats and gloves and slamming van doors for starters. He must have had his reasons bless him. Several years of rewarding him ignoring the nasties and just this week he's been able to stay quiet and calm round motorbike noise and - wonder of wonders- his nemesis, the cat down the street. I hope dear Musketeer catches on a bit more speedily ..
    Hope your wheels roll smoothly on your way off the field and the sale completes nice and soon x
    I have borrowed from my future self
    The banks are not our friends
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family