Lowcostholidays collapses – your rights as 140,000 hit by travel chaos

Options

Comments

• Duane_Dibley
    Duane_Dibley Posts: 101 Forumite
    Options
    deeboy1 wrote: »
    Things I've learnt in the last 24 hours...

2. You are very unlikely to be covered under your insurance policy. My Nationwide policy certainly doesn't cover me, and as far as I can see most don't. Even if I did have 'end supplier failure' cover, I can't see it would cover me for the failure of these intermediary travel agencies anyway. I have tried to look today for an add-on insurance that would cover all this, but no joy so far. So anyone being told by their hotel or anyone else that they will be able to claim on their insurance should be very skeptical indeed and check their policy before making any decisions. Frankly, the advice of the liquidators on the low cost website that you may be able to claim on your insurance is at best wishful thinking and at worst, well I won't say.

I think it depends on the type of Nationwide account you have. If you have an account that gives only European cover you wont have ESF. If you have one that gives Worldwide cover (eg £10/month charge) you have. I think it is page 45 on the Worldwide policy document. Policy docs for European cover say you can buy an add on for ESF I think I read somewhere. It's all a bit hazy now with all the stress - I need a holiday!
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mathev wrote: »
    Hi. We booked with lowcostholidays a few months back for a hotel end of September. Yesterday I contacted the Hotel and asked if the booking is still valid and has been fully paid. They confirmed this over the telephone telling me that it was prepaid and all we needed to do was pay room tax on arrival.

They confirmed this via email. After looking at the low-cost holidays website statement I am just querying whether they can still cancel the booking despite theHotel saying that it has been prepaid? Any informed advice will be welcomed. We are insured but paid fof our hotel with debit card. I don't want to take any action before encountering any problems. I am hoping that because our room has already been paid for,that the booking will remain valid.

That's what my hotel is saying too. Don't suppose you are going to the US and LCH made the booking through Expedia USA? Just wondering if the business model between LCH and Expedia was different in that Expedia wanted the cash from LCH before we arrived.
  • btrevsteve
    Options
    I have a different problem, lowcost paid Ryanair for my flights but sent there email and used there card , so now I cant access my tickets because I cant get past security questions , which are, what email was used or what were the last four digits on payment card . any help please
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There are clearly a lot of people in your situation, the answer is in reply 107, see if works for you and let us know
  • Mathev
    Mathev Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    No we are not going to the USA. Not sure whether to double-check with hotel. I was explicit in my email asking whether our room was fully paid up? They replied by confirming our 'prepaid' reservation. I am hoping their email will suffice.
  • ginster_67
    ginster_67 Posts: 60 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, well ive checked my flights and they have been paid so that parts ok i have looked at my invoice for the hotel and it says they have booked the room via HotelBeds with a booking ref ,does anyone know how to check the hotelbeds website with a ref number at hand to see if its been paid or not?
    Thanks
  • gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    edited 18 July 2016 at 10:42AM
    Options
    What is clear after all this is

Why couldn't "hotels4u" ask me for the money when I phoned up on Saturday morning instead of giving me a load of bull5hit about contacting hotel direct

travelsupermarket.com should take more care which holiday companies they compare with....."Hoteling.com" who I used and LCH were both compared with for prices. While it is my fault for not checking they were ATOL/ABTA surely they should be more careful who they promote

Lloyds bank disputes call centre in far east have not got a clue what they are doing
  • JJB1979
    JJB1979 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    I've tried to register my claim with the Spanish regulator that the administrators link to on the LCH website. It's not clear at all how to submit a claim with them, does anyone know how?
  • gardner1
    Options
    ginster_67 wrote: »
    Hi, well ive checked my flights and they have been paid so that parts ok i have looked at my invoice for the hotel and it says they have booked the room via HotelBeds with a booking ref ,does anyone know how to check the hotelbeds website with a ref number at hand to see if its been paid or not?
    Thanks

I would phone up if you can find a number better still phone hotel....but I think you will find your booking has been cancelled
  • gardner1
    Options
    Mathev wrote: »
    No we are not going to the USA. Not sure whether to double-check with hotel. I was explicit in my email asking whether our room was fully paid up? They replied by confirming our 'prepaid' reservation. I am hoping their email will suffice.

If it were me I would phone hotel today and check again
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport