PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't know whether to warn my brother, currently living in Germany, or not.....he's too ill to organise having 10 days' food and water, and I can't see his wife being organised enough to do it either :(

I suppose I had better tell him, but then if SIL won't bother to do it and says it's not necessary he will just get even more stressed than he is already :eek: They are very rural and he's not allowed to drive atm. (for medical reasons, I don't mean he's been banned!) so can't go shopping on his own.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Ivyleaf, it's not yet a requirement so I don't think there is any need to be alarmed
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-08-21/german-government-urges-citizens-stockpile-food-water-first-time-cold-war-ended
    But I thought it was noteworthy that a prosperous and stable European country, without the regular occurrence of extreme weather events that characterise parts of the US, might think 10 days worth of stores is an appropriate level at which to prepare for unforeseen events
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Leaving aside why *Germany* wants to do this, I think 10 days is a pretty good minimum for emergencies where the apparatus of the state is still standing (i.e. unless its zombies :) ). Much more realistic than three ....
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    maryb wrote: »
    Ivyleaf, it's not yet a requirement so I don't think there is any need to be alarmed
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-08-21/german-government-urges-citizens-stockpile-food-water-first-time-cold-war-ended
    But I thought it was noteworthy that a prosperous and stable European country, without the regular occurrence of extreme weather events that characterise parts of the US, might think 10 days worth of stores is an appropriate level at which to prepare for unforeseen events

Ah, thanks, in that case I won't worry him unless I have to :)
  • maryb
    Options
    If and when it ever becomes an actual requirement I'm sure your SIL would do the necessary - if you're living in Germany I don't suppose you veer too far from the rules
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Very interesting that Germany is discussing this and considering implementing it in short order.

Being of a cynical and suspicious nature, I wonder if it might be something on the lines of a Project Fear, as in, let's get the populace nervous and it'll distract them from other things.

Or, it may well be that there is about to be a major crisis, perhaps with DB going down and temporarily paralyising a big chunk of Germany's economy, and the idea is to introduce the idea of prepping in mitigation of possible ill-effects.

We may never know, or time will reveal all. I'm sure we've all noticed that we're on the cusp of another Bank Holiday weekend, the last until the festive season in the UK. Dunno about national holibobs in Germany, have they any in the offing shortly?
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • maryb
    Options
    Karmacat I agree 10 days is more realistic than three. I cut back quite a bit on the amount I kept in stock when I retired because I go for a walk most days and could pick stuff up. But in the winter I ramp it up a bit so I don't have to go out if it's icy. Since my accident earlier this year I'm very nervous about falling so I'm now trying to have more in so I don't have to go down to the local shop if the pavements are slippery with wet leaves. With all the cutbacks, we don't get our pavements cleared very often/at all and when you get rain on top of fallen leaves they turn into a greasy mulch very quickly.

One week to go for you! Are you getting demob happy?
  • maryb
    Options
    Grey Queen it could well be that they want to foster the idea that Russia can't be trusted, since a lot of people don't necessarily agree that Putin is eeeevil and wouldn't mind sanctions being lifted especially if it is hurting exports

Oktoberfest starts in the middle of September but it's not a national holiday (but a lot of the population will be occupied with other things,lol) They do have one at the beginning of October - National Unity Day
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    Just listened to the BBC news at 5 and the item about the German Government urging citizens to stockpile 10 days supplies was mentioned.
  • maryb
    Options
    The Automatic Earth is pointing out that the directive is also suggesting that people should hold cash Quote...

"Saw this on Reuters and other sites, but they all left out the need to store cash, for some reason, which is in the original directive. So I ran the article through Google Translate and corrected it a little.

A government advising people to store cash is not a minor point, I would think. Not in the days of plastic and a war on cash."

https://www.theautomaticearth.com/2016/08/debt-rattle-august-22-2016/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport