PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Well so do I lol but I was speaking generally because this summer it has never stopped bloody raining!
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    We live at the top of a hill too but the road out of the village goes down into the valley and all the shops are at the bottom of the hill .
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It's lashing it down again. :(
  • Saipan
    Saipan Posts: 54 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Just lost a post in the weirdest way .... anyway, yes, apart from getting your stuff off the floor, very difficult to prep for floods. Sandbags won't stop water getting in through your air brick vents, or coming up through the sewer, or coming up through porous rock :(

The only preps that will sort that are a no-return valve on your waste pipe, and filling the cavity underneath the house with concrete, which costs thousands of pounds - Wol, who used to be on mse, had that done, and then floodgates installed on her doors, which worked.

The difficulty I had was when those rooftiles came off - even taking stuff up to the first floor didn't help, because one whole side of the house was potentially threatened. Really difficult.

From recent personal experience I think keeping an eye on building developments in your local area can be important, even if the changes don't seem all that relevant to flood defences at the time.

I have never known the area near my home to flood at any time in the past 20 or so years, no matter how much it rained. This year a small number of houses and shops flooded, catching everyone by surprise. A green area nearby has just been built on, providing some welcome community resources - however, although the new developments are eco-friendly with a fair amount of land left for wildlife, the very deep ditch running round the perimeter has been filled in. This ditch was well over 6 feet deep and wide enough to need a bridge (a very small one) to get from one side to the other. It had been there for so long that nobody seemed to know much about it.

We have now realised just why the ditch was there in the first place, and why it was put there by the wise folks who lived here before us.

Lots of us have now asked the Council to please put it back...
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,666 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Just seen a piece on Zerohedge suggesting that the German govt is going to REQUIRE (their words) civilians to hold a stockpile of food and water sufficient for 10 days.
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    maryb wrote: »
    Just seen a piece on Zerohedge suggesting that the German govt is going to REQUIRE (their words) civilians to hold a stockpile of food and water sufficient for 10 days.

I'm not German (and nor do I live in Germany), but I do that as a matter of routine.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Thirty-odd years ago, when I was a youngster, I was sharing a lodgings with a guy who was responsible for a development site alongside a river only about a mile inland from the coast; in other words, strongly tidal. The site was being redevoloped for housing and the derelict factories and warehouses were being demolished.

He'd also ordered the demolition of a big wall alongside the river. Said river then rose and inundated the building site. Have you ever seen a grown man trying not to cry because there were JCBs floating on his site and the residents of nearby houses who were also flooded were furious and baying for blood?

I asked him if it had occured to him, as a stranger to the region never mind that town, to ask why a 15 ft wall had been built right along the riverbank just there? He said he hadn't thought............ You need to be very well-educated to miss the bleedin' obvious sometimes.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,666 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes but it's the fact that it could be made a formal requirement that is striking. Lots of the commentators are saying Deutsche Bank could be about to go boom. Then again I should know better than to read the comments - let's just say they don't go in for moderation
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    maryb wrote: »
    Lots of the commentators are saying Deutsche Bank could be about to go boom.

If that happens, I wonder what sort of pressure it will put on the ECB and the IMF.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    If that happens, I wonder what sort of pressure it will put on the ECB and the IMF.
    Probably something equivalent to a torpedo below the waterline when vessel is sailing above the Marianas Trench.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills