PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I just use the grounds at the bottom of my morning cafetière, GQ! (I just drink a couple of cups first thing, and redbush tea the rest of the day; not fond of instant coffee)

Are you me? This is exactly what i have :p

Question - can you put too much coffee grounds on the soil? We get through quite a lot (OH drinks more coffee than me) so, whilst some goes on the soil, quite a lot goes in the bin as i wondered if you can overdo it.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We have few micro breweries in our town, so may be worth pursuing for next year - thanks GQ for that! :D I didn't plant anything edible this year as building work was supposed to start in March...bleeping builder let us down and its taken until now to sort someone else. I could have had all sorts by now...grrrr! :mad: I shall prep the garden ready for next year, though, and start afresh, all I have is a very anaemic looking parsley plant that I'm unwilling to murder. :rotfl:

DH has been dejunking his workplace and our garage, and I've been taking stuff to the tip - discovered that he'd (mistakenly?) put my little camping cooker in the boot for chucking..words were said, naturally. He has been re-educated as to what is genuine rubbish (empty paint tins, broken light bulbs, etc.) and what is merely dusty prepping stuff...:rotfl:

My frozen food stores are being run down, due to impending building work, and I feel rather nervous at seeing them reduce - only 7-10 days' worth of meat/fish in there, where usually I can access about a month's worth - armageddon is not welcome until my new kitchen is ready! :D Will have to have a decent store of tinned and microwaveable foods, just in case...

A xo
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So glad you've found another builder, cheapskate. Hang in there and think about how lovely it will look when it's all finished :j
  • Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I am doing, ivyleaf, I can close my eyes and see it all finished!!

A xo
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    VJsmum wrote: »
    Question - can you put too much coffee grounds on the soil? We get through quite a lot (OH drinks more coffee than me) so, whilst some goes on the soil, quite a lot goes in the bin as i wondered if you can overdo it.

Don't know - it hasn't happened yet! But if in doubt, compost them first. I do know that they're one of the few things that chickens don't like...
    Angie - GC May 24 £253.52/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    Dunno if it makes the milk boozy but the cows seem to enjoy it.:D

I can conform it doesn't make the milk boozy, or indeed the cows drunk, because the used malt grains come out of the tun, before fermentation begins.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Weather is dreadful here.

It's been hammering it down, since early this evening. :(
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Was same here Bob, all day yesterday. Today is supposed to be nice. I wonder if we're in for another autumn/winter of floods in the UK. Hard really to prep for floods isnt it.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just lost a post in the weirdest way .... anyway, yes, apart from getting your stuff off the floor, very difficult to prep for floods. Sandbags won't stop water getting in through your air brick vents, or coming up through the sewer, or coming up through porous rock :(

The only preps that will sort that are a no-return valve on your waste pipe, and filling the cavity underneath the house with concrete, which costs thousands of pounds - Wol, who used to be on mse, had that done, and then floodgates installed on her doors, which worked.

The difficulty I had was when those rooftiles came off - even taking stuff up to the first floor didn't help, because one whole side of the house was potentially threatened. Really difficult.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    Hard really to prep for floods isnt it.

I don't need to prep for floods.

I live at the top of a hill. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing