PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Emj is it over a weekend ( don't know if your job involves working weekends?) if so you could put it that you only need two days off, sounds better
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,153 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Emj2016 wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone can help me !!

I recently started a new job 2 weeks ago! My friend has just come back off her honeymoon (I havent had any contact with her for nearly 4 weeks ) and told me she has booked us a 4 day holiday to Spain as a suprise for me for me helping out with her wedding so much !!

She now knows I have started my new job and it's gutted!!! (She knew I had the specific dates booked off in my previous job) which is a month away! I would hate her to lose her mobey and would love to go !

How would I approach this with my new boss?? It's only 3 people that work in the small office so nobody has to rely on me neither will I leave anyone in the dark as we do each others jobs? ?

Please would love any feedback??

There's a specific board for employment questions where you may get more feedback. I suggest you post a new thread on that board, as the employment experts tend to hang out there.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=141
  • maryb
    Options
    some interesting discussions about energy policy in the Torygraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/16/how-china-could-switch-off-britains-lights-in-a-crisis-if-we-let/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/08/16/hinkley-point-not-necessary-to-keep-the-lights-on-says-sse-chief/

I have to say, I wish politicians would stop faffing around and do something to inspire confidence that we won't be groping round looking for candles and matches (although us preppers will know EXACTLY where they are)
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • daz378
    daz378 Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    back under my old alias before my internet broke last year and i signed on as daz278 via my mobile....usually keeps me logged in ....for some reason had to log in today s i logged in daz378 as i retrieved my password.... im still prepping and back in work after 2 weeks off.... two earlies next two shifts. In november starting to wean myself off technology/phone bills if i get rid of landline and broadband can save myself 50 quid a month and use mobile broadband. take care
  • maryb
    Options
    I'm embarassed to say my internet usage is far too high for me to be able just to use mobile broadband. And only part of it is the DDs streaming Netflix and Youtube.

I blame you chatty lot

Might mosey over to the prepping for winter thread. The last couple of days have had a very end of summer feel about them. I noticed right at the beginning of August that all the rowan trees had a very heavy crop of berries and thought at the time that was a bit early. Now all the leaves seem to be turning and when I go for a walk in the mornings I'm crunching over fallen acorns. And the air had a slight smell of autumn about it.

I don't know if an early autumn is indicative in any way of what the winter is likely to be like. And last autumn there were loads of berries but it wasn't snowy atall so I don't beleive the folklore anymore. (I used to read the Chalet School books set in Austria in the 1930s and it was always a bad sign if the villagers had to bring the cows down early from the high Alpine pastures. Early autumn = harsh winter. Anyone else remember those?)

But might as well review the preps
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    We spotted ripe blackberries in Yorkshire last week and our rowan has a heavy crop of berries too.

I remember the Chalet school books and the bit about the hard winters.If anyone has any of the books-even in paperback-it's worth checking how much they are worth. some of them are very collectable.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    THIRZAH wrote: »
    We spotted ripe blackberries in Yorkshire last week and our rowan has a heavy crop of berries too.

I remember the Chalet school books and the bit about the hard winters.If anyone has any of the books-even in paperback-it's worth checking how much they are worth. some of them are very collectable.

Bu88er, I used to have loads but got rid of them years ago.

They would be rather tatty now though. I loved them..
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    VJsmum wrote: »
    Bu88er, I used to have loads but got rid of them years ago.

They would be rather tatty now though. I loved them..

I saw one in a secondhand bookshop in Rochester a few years ago. it was a first edition of one of the later ones. It was in a glass case and was priced at £100 :eek:

I loved then too and have been re-reading some of them more recently :) Girls Gone By have re-printed some of them.
  • maryb
    Options
    We had some major renovations done which involved some work in the cellar where I kept my Armaggeddon cupboard. So a lot of stuff was moved into nooks and crannies elsewhere. I have FINALLY got everything sorted again, it is so frustrating when you know you've got spares of something and you can't find it. Also defrosted the freezer and - gasp- made a LIST of what is in there.

Now I can have a think about what I need to top stores up. I don't have too much in at any one time but at the start of autumn, I like to make sure I can 'shop from home' in the event of bad weather. Even more so since I fractured a vertebra earlier this year and found I had quite bad osteoporosis. It has left me a bit nervous about falling. I would much rather be able to hunker down and avoid going out in icy weather.

We had a real stroke of luck earlier this year - a big old beech tree came down in a storm and it was so big, they had to get a crane in to remove the trunk. But before they could do that, the tree surgeons had to cut off all the side branches. To make life easier for themselves they offered us all the cut off branches, - free! They had cut them into reasonable lengths but DH had to split them. So that's a year's supply of logs sorted.

Because of my back we were late getting the allotment planted so we still have plenty of new potatoes even if they are a bit small. So hopefully that will see us through until the sacks of maincrops come into the farm shops end of September.

I'm not sure what's making me so uneasy at the moment. I don't believe the more lurid headlines that Putin is massing on the Crimean border with the intention of invading Ukraine next week. Deutsche Bank is limping along much as usual and Italy has managed to stave off bank meltdown.

But I do have this feeling that I need to get sorted. Glad to have made a start
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Absolutely, Mary - I don't believe WWIII is suddenly going to break out over our heads, but there are definitely shenanigans going on behind the scenes. Just as well to make sure everything's up to scratch.

Can I ask about your storage in the cellar? How safe is your cellar from flooding, which is nowadays, potentially, a very common Armageddon situation :( ? I don't have a cellar, but my house is on a little rise on my property, its a quarter of the way down a local slope, but in relation to the town as a whole, it sits at the bottom of a mile long hill. It would have to be Armageddon indeed to flood, but it does make me wonder sometimes ...
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport