PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    pineapple wrote: »
    That's very interesting GQ. I noticed when I retired that most of the telephone cold calling stopped. It seemed too much of a coincidence to me. I wondered if my reduced purchasing power made me a financial non person :(
    :) I don't get cold-called. Literally never. My parents, pensioners and home-owners, get about 3 cold-calls a day. I suspect as a low earner in council rented accomodation, I'm considered to be not worth bothering with - which suits me just fine.

It's not like I'm economically inactive or anything; I've bought a £1 secondhand book today, f'rinstance.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I seldom get cold calls, probably because I no longer have a land-line.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Back in the days when we had au pairs.... phone rang, DD (c13 years old) answered. Very foreign accent which she couldn't understand. Assumed it was someone calling for au pair - who didn't speak much English at the time. The ensuing conversation would have been highly amusing to someone able to hear both sides of the conversation. Long story short, cold caller gave up in despair
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Evening all. I've not been here for a bit. Can you believe I've had to give up surfing online due to RSI?

My right arm is painful from hand to shoulder. Anti inflammatories work brilliantly, but I don't want to get dependent on them. I'm having to restrict surfing to business & emails. How annoying eh?

Still, I have lots of books & newspapers to read, so not too downhearted. I guess it's no bad thing to go cold turkey for a bit.

I try & read along still, but can't post much due to painful mouse work.
  • singlestep
    Options
    jk0, I'm having the same problem!

I've had a long holiday from work and hoped the break would settle things down and although I did surf/post a few times, I really cut computer/phone use as even holding and swiping my phone wasn't really comfortable. I've been trying to give up an occasionally crack through boredom/curiosity.

I've now been back at work for a few days and computer use is unavoidable and I'm back to square one. While I don't type all the time unless developing resources, I do have to access presentations and websites and use a mouse throughout the day. Would love to know what works for others now I've established supports haven't helped. I know that some of you have chronic conditions that are really debilitating and I really shouldn't complain.

I'm registered with the TPS and still get 3-6 calls a day. About half are pre-recorded. It's annoying but then I realise how lucky I am that I don't have a job that rquires me to make unsolicited calls. It was bad enough having student jobs where I did have to talk to the public on the phone (sorry GQ and others - I really think you have the patience of saints).
  • ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Two suggestions - move your phone to your left side - discourages you from adopting a poor posture when trying to talk and type or use the mouse.

Second - Have you tried one of these?

There's a few on the market, but they slot next to your keyboard (like a laptop touchpad) and discourage the stretching and reaching normal with a standard mouse.

Hope you both feel better soon.

RollerMouse_Free2_c.jpg
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Morning all.

And there I was thinking before logging on that I hadn't seen jk0 posting for a while, was he on holiday or ill, and came on to see he's suffering with RSI.

Sorry to hear about that and about other poorlies. I do have a touch of the same problem in my right hnad/ wrist, too. Using a keyboard isn't a problem as I more or less touch type, you couldn't really manage my job without a pretty fast typing speed, but the mouse and scrolling is what does it.

I guess I need to exercise common sense and ration the t'internet surfing, but there's just so much of interest out there, such as the other half of the comments on the latest archdruidreport blogpost.

One blessing about my job is that it isn't cold-calling, we're an inbound council call centre so, unless a resident has left us a voicemail asking us to call them back, we don't ever ring out. I'd hate to have a sales job, I really would.

:D Today is Ye Grand Potato Harvest. I have the Stilsons ready and will report back on the yield. I am also hoping for some Effing Potatoes, a size category coined by a passer-by a few years ago (my lottie is visible from the road) when a rather uncouth man said to his companion wouldja look at the size of those effing things!

Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ouch Jk0 and singlestep :( So sorry to hear that!
  • gran3
    gran3 Posts: 239 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    For those suffering with RSI when I was working and using a PC all day I had a roller bar installed so my hand wasn't cupped over the mouse. Made no end of an improvement and really easy to get used to using.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 14 August 2016 at 10:24PM
    Options
    Aldi are selling a double burner "Fishing Stove", for just £19-99.
    Fishing-Stove-A.jpg?o=BbaOMXV%24iDHUMAHK3WTbn8SAv3cj&V=Vtcu
    That's £5 cheaper, than the double burner stove available from Amazon.
    41XAXSM4xUL.01_SL500_.jpg
    However, beware of a hidden, additional cost.

Unlike the Amazon stove, which uses the gas canisters containing 227g of gas, costing ~ £1 each from places like B&M Bargains, the Aldi one uses the Coleman type screw on canisters, containing 500g of gas, costing upward of £5 each.

By the time you've used a few 500g canisters, the £5 saving will have been easily wiped out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure