PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    It's interesting :)
  • milasavesmoney
    Options
    I have a few books on wild edibles for my area. I think this is good prepping information to know. Obviously, where I live does not have a vast array of wild edibles, but it is surprising how many actually are available if you know what you are looking at when you look. My son took a free class one weekend on this subject and then began pointing out all the 'weeds' that can be eaten or used to flavor food.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Not so much prepping, but tomorrow we all go on holiday for two weeks, and DD and I go through our cupboards and stash lots of spare bits in a box that goes with us to our holiday house.

I think we end up with at least 3-4 days emergency supplies which help if we decide we would rather go to the beach than the supermarket The house we are staying in is near the coast on the Isle of Wight and about 8 miles from the nearest town :) pure bliss for us all a real getaway from it all place.

The boys are quite happy to help us eat virtually anything put in front of them which helps no end :).We will stock up on Saturday with fresh stuff and milk and bread from the shop about a mile down the road.helps keep the local economy going as well.I am hoping to be able to get some blackberries from the local fields so we can have a crumble for pudding :) I shall certainly be bringing some home with me when we come home at the end of August. My DGS love to forage for 'freebies' :)
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    have a great time Jackie. Looks like you will be lucky with the weather, they're forecasting nice hot weather into next week and August as a whole should be good
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have a lovely time JackieO x
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Somewhere on the BBC site I saw a link to Polish Preppers, who are waiting for Russia to move in, might have been the Ukraine. Lot of rumours and stir about Russia recently, not sure if any of it's true. We'd be the obvious first target though - about 20% of the army left, plus an aircraft carrier that doesnt have any planes cos the French have them only we aren't talking to them any more..... LOL you couldnt make it up!
  • milasavesmoney
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    Somewhere on the BBC site I saw a link to Polish Preppers, who are waiting for Russia to move in, might have been the Ukraine. Lot of rumours and stir about Russia recently, not sure if any of it's true. We'd be the obvious first target though - about 20% of the army left, plus an aircraft carrier that doesnt have any planes cos the French have them only we aren't talking to them any more..... LOL you couldnt make it up!

We too have the fewest active troops since WWII. And yes it was Polish preppers. Interesting article.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sometimes I'm really glad that we're an island, and not on the way to somewhere else .... hope the Poles are okay, I have a soft spot for Poland.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,670 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have a wonderful time, JackieO!
    Angie - GC May 24 £50.58/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Interesting about the Polish Preppers. It looked as if a lot of the article was about informal militias rather than preppers as we know it but then there was a bit about people generally trying to prep. And since that piece I mentioned about Russian buildup in Crimea I've seen a few more mentions about how tense it all is in Ukraine.

Then you see Boris calling for our relations with Russia to be normalised and apparently Theresa May is having constructive talks. And you wonder whether a lot of the uncertainty being stoked up is driven by American domestic politics
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure